Devialet Owners & Discussion Thread

Ahh hang on, I should have read the thread properly, I thought the upgrade they were talking about was the Devialet power upgrade. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Im pretty sure it's not just software. 

By the way do you dislike the unit because of what's in it or have you listened to it ?

I owned it..... so how does it sound superb to u? Compare to 12.5k rrp dac? 

ok no more arguing here .....Have decided on the Deviaaaaaleyyyy Phantoms   - 2 of those would be awesome !!! Thank you to @Sime!!!!  LOLZ ++++++:party:love:hiccup

Forget all that Hi Fi stuff   ...bluetooth Phantom way to go - as he says they are mind blowing ...only USD3k each and you can get 2 ....

even better can get them here for aud 2990.... carry them on my shoulders

Edited by Toyboyo

• Volunteer
14 minutes ago, audiome said:

I owned it..... so how does it sound superb to u? Compare to 12.5k rrp dac? 

Why would I compare it to a DAC that costs significantly more ?

im really not sure why you object so vehemently to me liking it. It's only my opinion, please can I be allowed to have it ?

17 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

im really not sure why you object so vehemently to me liking it. It's only my opinion, please can I be allowed to have it ?

Meitner ma01 rrp at 12.5k so won't u compare to a 12.5k dac? I didn't object u liking it but I'm glad u like it ... I was just wondering what u like about it

Edited by audiome

• Volunteer
6 minutes ago, audiome said:

Meitner ma01 rrp at 12.5k so won't u compare to a 12.5k dac? I didn't object u liking it but I'm glad u like it ... I was just wondering what u like about it

I like its sound. 

Next time I'm at my friend's house though, I'll look inside. I guess I won't like it after doing that, right ?

5 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I like its sound. 

Next time I'm at my friend's house though, I'll look inside. I guess I won't like it after doing that, right ?

If u like the sound why bother open it? Enjoy it. Let me know if u keen owning one. I would let u have it at really good price and in case u not sure about the rrp of ma01, it's 12k rrp. Pm me if u interested and I really prefer to let it go to someone who like it 

8 minutes ago, Toyboyo said:

I was thinking of the Miles (new ones)@Sir Triodethough if I am encouraged enough I could go up the ladder (and sell the house and the children  ....not in that order)

It looks as though the speaker will need an amp that can drive it's nominal 4 ohm load despite the 90 db/w/m sensitivity. Also depending on how loud you listen to and the size of your listening space, I'd reckon an SS power amp of around power rating of at least 100W at 8ohm that can double down to 200W at 4ohm would be the go. I'd match a tube preamp to that so that you get the best of both worlds. 

I've just re-read this entire thread and have returned to this point and am as confused as I was before I decided to start again.

Am I correct in saying that the devialet is, according to people who own it and my reading of the Classifieds:

1) One of the finest pieces of audio gear you can own at the $12k price point

2) For gear that retails at its price point, is the item that pops up most often in the Classifieds (as compared to other things that retail at its price point)

3) An absolute stonking bargain, whether buying one or selling one.

6 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

I've just re-read this entire thread and have returned to this point and am as confused as I was before I decided to start again.

Am I correct in saying that the devialet is, according to people who own it and my reading of the Classifieds:

1) One of the finest pieces of audio gear you can own at the $12k price point

2) For gear that retails at its price point, is the item that pops up most often in the Classifieds (as compared to other things that retail at its price point)

3) An absolute stonking bargain, whether buying one or selling one.

It is a case of horses for courses. If you have space limitations and want an all in one it does a great job. 

If you compare it to the Meitner or other similar priced dacs it isa bargain IMO. 

If you buy the one currently advertised then IMO it is a stonking bargain. 

There arent a huge number that come up for sale, but in order to compare similar priced units you would need to know the relative sales figures. 

What other all all in one systems retail for $12k?

Edited by Nap250

If you had a certified SAM speaker, it can be a bargain.  Class D such as the Hypex nc400 modules @ around the $3-4K  delivered may not have the same benefits, phono, analog inputs A-D  to D-A converter, SAM etc.  But at least the nc400 is capable of driving difficult 4ohm loads.  The Nc400 is incredibly envolving and extremely detailed and punches far above the price point than it should.  If it wasn't for my desire to get inefficient and difficult speakers to drive the nc400 would have been my choice and not the Magtech.   

The DAC chip used in the Top of the line Devialet is a cheap BB PCM 1792 and it's not the top of the BB range of dac chips.  We can see that as DAC chips evolved, the top of the line in every brand gets better in specs and also bring benefits to the SQ department.  The Devialet benefit of utilising DAC in the digital domain is that the chip is apparently only 4" away from the speaker output terminals, one very short path.

It may not be as compact or as pretty and tick the WAF box, but you can do a lot with $12k.   

You see Devialet products here in the classified only because the owners want to be owners of the upper end of the  Devialet food chain..  And of course if at the end of the day it appeals to niche market, I'm sure the company will survive despite what other thinks.  Just remember in 5, 10, 15 years time, class D would evolve to the point where it may even make the triditiona A/B or pure class A and valves redundant....  simply because the box to tick now is more power efficient products!   But not only that if the current product did fail in the 5 - 10 yrs then it's like that you won't be repairing it, you'll be considering the product range then as class D pregresses.  

• Like 2

Devialet are great for what u get for the price and with Louis vuttion investing in them, u don't worry about they will go bust 

Vitus sound really nice to me especially pure class A but they are pricey.

Meitner ma01 don't sound and don't feel like what's it cost. The software upgrade should at least offer free to original owner. 

Edited by audiome

Guest scumbag
12 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

You know that you can only have an opinion around here if others agree to you having it first. At least that's how it feels lately.

Goes off and sulks.................:sorry: