Sonica DAC Cancelled (Unofficial)

18 hours ago, JohnL said:

So it appears that Pete D and his source were completely correct about this.

Here are the latest replies from Interdyn......

Hi John,

It is with sadness that we let you know the Sonica range will not be released in Australia.

While we thought the range performed impressively and were excited to bring it to you, OPPO Digital has determined that the worldwide market potential in the category will not be at a level to warrant ongoing investment.

Any pre-orders for the Sonica range will be unfulfilled. Please make contact with your local dealer to finalise any pre-orders that need to be cancelled. We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

For the limited customers that have previously purchased Sonica products, Interdyn and OPPO will provide full warranty, product support, and firmware updates.

Moving forward, OPPO will be focussing on the soon-to-be-released UDP-205, and providing further functionality upgrades for the UDP series! Be sure to follow OPPO Digital AU and NZ on Facebook, and continue to check in at oppodigital.com.au and oppodigital.co.nz to stay up-to-date on these exciting developments.

Kind regards,

Joel Turner

Interdyn

And OPPO in the U.S.......

John,

OPPO Australia has decided to not carry the Sonica DAC because it would require a lot of engineering to rework the product for that region. In particular, they need to remove the current Tidal and Spotify integration and try to work on having services available in that region added to the application. So they have decided that the product, at this time, does not suit the needs of their market so they are not looking to sell the Sonica DAC.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

162 Constitution Dr.

Menlo Park, CA 94025

Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Funny thing is that I......... and potentially many others........don't give a hoot about "Tidal" or "Spotify"!!!!!

My advice to anyone wishing to acquire this DAC would be to attempt purchase via the U.S. Website.

Should they be unaccommodating........

There is a U.S. based SNA Member who has helped with U.S. only Shipping in the past.

A really great guy called Glenn ( User name Stanley) that I and others have used in the past.

Special note to PeteD et al..........Congrats on the scoop......:):thumb:

Dont you love love it when you get a response from either side blaming each other.....

Now all you have to do is send the he said she said to either party and see what type of response you get...:D

• Like 1

If the Sonica DAC is only unavailable in Australia and is available everywhere else in the world, I think I know who I will blame.

If the Sonica DAC is unavailable in a number of countries, then I might blame someone else.

Although, if this were politics, I'm sure it would be the government's fault.

• Like 3

You know they could be both right - two different views of the same issue.

For Oppo - they are are happy to send the units to the Oz distributer, its up to the distributer to make sure there is local compliance

For the Oz distributer - its not a product thats compatible with the local market, they are not in a position to modify the units or the cost is prohibitivie, and Oppo doesn't think the investment is worthwhile

They are both business' who are only going to enter a market with a product if a buck can be made

• Like 2

Really as a distributor, why would you sell a product where the software is crippled from day 1? Just asking for trouble IMO. If they don't have the expertise to mod them then better not to touch them. People read overseas Internet sites and they want all the features as advertised not some half baked solution. Without all the streaming working then it's just another DAC and I think the distributor would struggle to sell them once they put up all the warnings and disclaimers.

• Like 1

Guest Eggcup The Daft

"In particular, they need to remove the current Tidal and Spotify integration and try to work on having services available in that region added to the application."

Let me guess, Tidal (which I'm listening to right now) and Spotify aren't available in Australia, right? And won't most people in Australia use this DAC with a computer or server for other Australian services?

I don't know which one is more accurate, but I think I know which of those two answers comes with the most BS, at least.

23 hours ago, JohnL said:

And OPPO in the U.S.......

John,

OPPO Australia has decided to not carry the Sonica DAC because it would require a lot of engineering to rework the product for that region. In particular, they need to remove the current Tidal and Spotify integration and try to work on having services available in that region added to the application. So they have decided that the product, at this time, does not suit the needs of their market so they are not looking to sell the Sonica DAC.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

162 Constitution Dr.

Menlo Park, CA 94025

Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

I have never heard of a Distributor having to modify someone elses product in this way described to be able to sell here.

This should fall on the manufacturer of the product if they want to sell it in other countries.

Unless Oppo want to change it and charge the distributor for this change.

Or are they asking an Australian distributor to rewrite their own code?

Edited by rocky500

The distributors are not programmers.  There is no way in the world that they can make modifications to someone-else's firmware/software to remove US services and replace it with Aus stuff.

The distributor cannot deliberately contravene the presumed commercial agreements, so leaving the US firmware/software operating in the unit is not an option either.

"Forget it" is the only available, legal and viable option.  Besides, there will be another DAC of the month next month.  Oh, I see there is one in the pipeline already; problem solved.

2 hours ago, aechmea said:

"Forget it" is the only available, legal and viable option.  Besides, there will be another DAC of the month next month.  Oh, I see there is one in the pipeline already; problem solved.

http://www.stereo.net.au/news/nad-embraces-digital-and-hi-res-multi-room-audio

:thumb:

45 minutes ago, Marc said:

All is not often as it appears. This OPPO situation will be clarified shortly.

Nooooo we don't want facts and clarity. How can we go on speculating and pointing fingers for another 5 pages now that you have said that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marc said:

What's left to clarify?  The distributor has decided not to carry the Sonica range - end of story. Sure, the situation lacks clarity but that would evidently be totally unrelated the actual outcome.

Do you know something the rest of us don't already know as a result of direct communication with the distributor?

Edited by PeteD

Guest OldSchool1

Interested in this beast but would not buy now. Firstly it is new and so powerful that it must have some bugs. Let your guys be the lab rat. Secondly I current have a decent DAC which can be connected to my PC via USB so it is not urgent for me.

17 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Yeah, I had to have a squiz at the NAD M50.2 because of my long association with the brand but, seriously, $3,999??!!  Delete the stuff I don't need like the CD Ripper and 2TB HDD and sell it to me for $1,499 for cripes sake!

And that AES Out port (Instead of XLR) is most likely there to discourage people from committing the mortal sin of connecting the M50.2 to another brand of amp - LOL.

Edited by PeteD

Guest thathifiguy

Yeah, I had to have a squiz at the NAD M50.2 because of my long association with the brand but, seriously, $3,999 ??!!  Delete the stuff I don't need like the CD Ripper and 2TB HDD and sell it to me for $1,500 for cripes sake!

And that AES Out port (Instead of XLR) is most likely there to discourage people from committing the mortal sin of connecting the M50.2 to another brand of amp - LOL.

The AES is there because it is a digital transport only, and doesn't have a DAC.

NAD have a product that is essentially a scaled down M50.2 without a CD drive and 2TB HDD, the Bluesound Node 2 and it's $999.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Administrator
15 hours ago, PeteD said:

Do you know something the rest of us don't already know as a result of direct communication with the distributor?

yes.

42 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

The AES is there because it is a digital transport only, and doesn't have a DAC.

NAD have a product that is essentially a scaled down M50.2 without a CD drive and 2TB HDD, the Bluesound Node 2 and it's $999.

Sorry, I must be missing something obvious.

The M50.2 is described as a Digital Music Player that supports File Formats: MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG Vorbis, WMA-L, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, MQA, HRA.

Is that not a DAC ??

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20170306171300/Manuals/745/745M502.PDF

Guest thathifiguy

The M50.2 is described as a Digital Music Player that supports File Formats: MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG Vorbis, WMA-L, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, MQA, HRA.

Is that not a DAC ??

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20170306171300/Manuals/745/745M502.PDF

And so it will play, but it doesn't have any analog outputs, so it can't serve as a DAC. It provides digital output only.

1 minute ago, PeteD said:

Is that not a DAC ??

dont see any analog outputs ... so no dac...

its a ripper, storer and media player/server by looks of it.

16 minutes ago, PeteD said:

Care to share ?

Really Pete D?  Really?

You think Marc would betray what is probably a commercial-in-confidence disclosure because you asked?

Really?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, :) al said:

dont see any analog outputs ... so no dac...

its a ripper, storer and media player/server by looks of it.

Of course - silly me, thanks. Though at the end of the day IMHO,  I suppose it's a moot point because aren't most people connecting their DACs to a pre or integrated amp anyway? Where the digital to analogue conversion process occurs is possibly not that important. Or maybe it is - please forgive me for being so uninformed compared to most of you gurus.

So NAD, with the M50.2 and M32 combination, is setting out to keep everything totally digital until the point of exit to the speakers. Am I Right?

I had a look at the Bluesound Node 2 but now can't remember why I eventually went with the Cambridge CXN. No doubt something I read in a Review article.

6 minutes ago, PeteD said:

Of course - silly me, thanks. Though at the end of the day IMHO,  I suppose it's a moot point because aren't most people connecting their DACs to a pre or integrated amp anyway? Where the digital to analogue conversion process occurs is possibly not that important. Or maybe it is - please forgive me for being so uninformed compared to most of you gurus.

So NAD, with the M50.2 and M32 combination, is setting out to keep everything totally digital until the point of exit to the speakers. Am I Right?

not sure about guru bit :Djust going by whats on the website, people tend to use all sorts some with dac built in the streamer, some with separate dac, some with dac in pre/integrated. anything goes... and to varying end result no doubt :) and not sure re the nad, to be honest when I was looking at the nad m3 something i owned for some years I preferred it to the direct digital approach of the m2 that followed. the m50.2 is quite an investment as well. where is the previous model now just replaced...oblivion...thats what worries me in over investing in these things ....

11 minutes ago, PeteD said:

I had a look at the Bluesound Node 2 but now can't remember why I eventually went with the Cambridge CXN. No doubt something I read in a Review article.

I got the node 2 in the end. just really on user interface and simple enough compact unit that did the lot. I have owned a few cambridge pieces....and was tempted in the more standard component sized thing but wasnt 100% sold on interface and capabilities ...going long term. quite possibly the cxn is a better all in one unit audio wise. the node 2 has a dac but I prefer the separate dac I run with it either stand alone dac or the one in my luxman player.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/21/2017 at 3:29 PM, Marc said:

OK so now, 4 months down the track, can we get some clarification ??

Edited by PeteD