Sansui CD917XR CD Player - a peek under the covers

Hi

A little while I was approached by an expat Aussie (who was returning to Australia) to take delivery on his behalf  of a Sansui CD-719XR CD player (as well as a very nice Sansui amplifier) that were being shipped out from Japan. He wanted the amp to be checked over (it was procured as working), and the CD player was listed as "junk" (as is the norn in Japan for anything that doesn't work properly).

Both units arrived safely (despite the totally inadequate packing for a 50+kg payload in the one box). This thread is about the CD player, the amp may be the topic of another thread.

The CD-917XR was released in 1993, with a price tag of 160,000 yen (roughly $2000 AUD back then -anywhere from $3,500 to $5,500 in today's terms.

Here are the basic specs

Untitled_zpspgkjzbei.jpg

some photos, I'll let them do the talking....

917xr%20name_zpsxoa5zdgj.jpg

917xr%20fronte_zpsi3vv0ok0.jpg

917xr%20rear_zpsl41yk0z0.jpg

917xr%20front%20top_zpsqh4zmlv5.jpg

917xr%20side_zpsjg31k8al.jpg

Inside the top cover - copper sheet

917xr%20inside%20cover_zps46wgpi1c.jpg

Polished copper shroud over the CD transport

917xr%20inside_zps24sibz5t.jpg

vibration deadening material inside the shroud

917xr%20inside%20cd%20tunnel_zpst9rcutik

Note the deadening on the CD transport

917xr%20inside%20tunnel%20off_zpspnxxtw9

917xr%20inside%20left_zpsdamrivh0.jpg

917xr%20inside%20right_zpse41r4y8m.jpg

917xr%20inside%20left%20rear_zpsuvabpcly

Deadening and copper on the bottom plate

917xr%20bottom%20plate_zpsmn1qqwjb.jpg

Bottom view

917xr%20bottom_zps5s3rptjj.jpg

CD mechanism removed to get access to the laser transport lift motor belt

the%20belt%20underneath%20the%20CD%20mec

CD drawer removed to get access to the drawer belt

c%20d%20mech%20and%20cd%20drawer%20remov

and that was the only thing wrong with the player - two new belts and away she went. and she sounds pretty damn good using the RCA's. Haven't tried the balanced out puts, nor the optical or co-axial outputs.

@Cafad @unclemack

Cheers

John

• Like 3

What a lovely bit of kit.

Screams quality doesn't it and attention to detail.

I've a couple of guesses what amps would look nice with this(read as, would match perfectly...) and I'm just plain jealous!

2 Belts and it's been Grand Poo-Bah'ed as well. What more is there in life if your a Sansui tragic?

Yes...exactly, the answer is : Nothing!

I see the twin DAC chips on the underside of that PCB?  Very nice.  

Sansui certainly weren't afraid to pack parts onto a circuit board were they?  There's not much free space in there.

6 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I see the twin DAC chips on the underside of that PCB?  Very nice.  

Sansui certainly weren't afraid to pack parts onto a circuit board were they?  There's not much free space in there.

I beleive that you are correct.  Looking from the front with the unit in its "normal" orientation in, the left hand side is the analogue audio side (twin dac's?), and the right hand side is the servo controls for the transport and laser, ad the digital output.   Note the two separate mains transformers, there are separate power supplies for the analogue and digital side. 

10 hours ago, Luc said:

What a lovely bit of kit.

Screams quality doesn't it and attention to detail.

I've a couple of guesses what amps would look nice with this(read as, would match perfectly...) and I'm just plain jealous!

2 Belts and it's been Grand Poo-Bah'ed as well. What more is there in life if your a Sansui tragic?

Yes...exactly, the answer is : Nothing!

Hi Lee,this is on a par with the 907 Limited  Amp, build quality is superb, just love these late model TOTL Sansui's. I will be letting Pete loose on this unit for a listening test....... watch this space.....

cheers

john

Edited by skippy124
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, skippy124 said:

Note the two separate mains transformers, there are separate power supplies for the analogue and digital side. 

Even nicer!  

There is so much vibration damping in there it almost boggles the mind.  In addition to nice thick plates of copper and/or copper plated steel.  It looks a million bucks.  I bet it sounds like it too.

• 2 months later...

Gee the went all the way with this one .Full of Silmics and those black copper foil polstyrene capacitors dotted everywhere , even underneath. 

Very nice . Were these Japan only or were they exported to other countries ?

• Like 1