I'm no turntable expert but .....

2 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Blame the house cleaner. I've seen it many times. Also, re-read Van's comments above again. 

Yep happened to me twice.

Both times someone thinking that wiping dust off the TT was doing me a favour.

Wiping cloth and stylus don't make good friends.

First time when I was  kid at home, thanks mum.

Second time, thanks honey.

But now I just keep a perspex cover over the whole TT.

An off center label covering part of the runout groove could possibly do it. Only time ive destroyed a stylus was with this.

As the stylus hits the label it forces it up onto it whereby the needle then rides the the label  which in my case was enough to shear off the stylus in less than a few seconds. by the time I raced to the turntable the damage was already done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VanArn said:

I trust that no one believes this statement , just in case some poor sod believes   Hergest   and spins a turntable backwards with an arm and cartridge  in place on the disc.

Of course I have, there's no earthly reason not to especially if you want to hear what a backward recorded line is saying. Really, I can't see why you are spreading such spurious and clueless nonsense that it is harmful. People have been doing it for generations since artists realised they could play tricks with recording.

7 hours ago, VanArn said:

I trust that no one believes this statement , just in case some poor sod believes   Hergest   and spins a turntable backwards with an arm and cartridge  in place on the disc.

As a kid I used to regularly spin my copy of Led Zep 4 backwards to hear the satanic messages.

No damage occurred to the stylus or cantilever. 

There are so many backwards playing You Tubes. I'm at a loss as to why people post that you shouldn't do it, every single mate I grew up with played records backwards at some point and not one of us ever damaged a cantilever or a record for that matter.

There's enough unnecessary mystique around playing records as it is, no wonder people new to the format can view it with trepidation. I don't know why some posters encourage this mystique with clueless posts. Perhaps they want to be seen as a guru and the holder of the keys to the mysteries of playing a record.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2017 at 1:12 PM, MarkT said:

Yeah....he could put a cheaper 2M  bronze stylus on the black body as they are interchangeable. 

Or just buy a cheapie 2M red cartridge plus stylus for around $100.

Big step down sonically from a bronze or black though. 

Yeah, the 2m Red will be a step backwards.  Maybe a second hand bronze or just bite and get a replacement black stylus.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hergest said:

There are so many backwards playing You Tubes. I'm at a loss as to why people post that you shouldn't do it, every single mate I grew up with played records backwards at some point and not one of us ever damaged a cantilever or a record for that matter.

There's enough unnecessary mystique around playing records as it is, no wonder people new to the format can view it with trepidation. I don't know why some posters encourage this mystique with clueless posts. Perhaps they want to be seen as a guru and the holder of the keys to the mysteries of playing a record.

Oh those are satanic verses!

I suppose I just don't speak Satan, NFI

I thought the 2M Black Stylus was only (Only he says) ~$690, the while thing can be had locally for under $900?

But I am also looking for options in upgrading from a Rega Exact, and was looking at HOMC. The Dynavector 10x5 seems to be a sub $900 option as well.

Crikey, grab a JVC Z1-S cartridge off ebay for $50 and pair it with a Jico SAS. The best performance you can get for the price without shelling out a grand. I prefer the Jico Shibata though. Not as bright as a SAS[emoji6]

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk