An evening with NORDOST: Do Cables Make a Difference?

n 3/8/2017 at 2:29 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Just watch those track numbers and volume levels

Did anyone do this?

I watched, there were no volume issues.

Bjorn usually muted between cable changes so that the volume was unchanged. A few times early on he turned the volume to zero and then turned it back up after a cable change. However, the volume level was very easy to see and he consistently returned it to the same volume level.

Natalie Merchant, Leonard Cohen, Tom Jones and several other artists were played, can't remember who they were though.

5 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Was a reason given?

They were probably worried that most people wouldn't pick any difference. I'm sure they are lovely people, but they  have a job to do and it isn't especially altruistic

• Volunteer
Just now, krakatana said:

They were probably worried that most people wouldn't pick any difference.

As Pops110 stated, there was not enough time. It ran over the set finish time anyway.

What happened when it finished? Was everyone kicked out immediately before they turned into pumpkins ?

Really how long would it have taken -5 minutes tops. 

• Like 1

• Volunteer
2 minutes ago, krakatana said:

As they stated, people can go back and listen to the specific cables they want to compare in depth. Bjorn stated at the the start of the evening that it was an overview of Nordost cables.

Dunno, sounds a bit lame to me (Bjorns apparent inflexibility, not your comments krakatana)

• Like 1

Yep, I had a thousand questions and would have loved to have had in-depth comparisons of certain cables. You could only get a general impression of differences between the cables with probably only around one minute of listening time with each track. Yet the hour and a half was gone just like that.

I appreciate SAVI going to the trouble of setting this demo up. I really don't think we should be crapping on their thread.

If you want to start a thread in the cable section and discuss further I think you should.

Cheers Dave 

• Like 5

Guest BobbyD
10 hours ago, Pops110 said:

I appreciate SAVI going to the trouble of setting this demo up. I really don't think we should be crapping on their thread.

If you want to start a thread in the cable section and discuss further I think you should.

Cheers Dave 

Agree,.....

in case no one has worked it out yet... Some see benefits with power cords.....some don't. Neither view bothers me.

Live and let live :thumb:

Edited by BobbyD

Just to make it clear that I don't agree with it being described as "lame". It was a well laid out presentation that aimed to allow everyone to get something out of the evening. If I had my way, they would have had exhaustive comparisons with only a few of the cables over several hours with familiar music. Of course if that happened, everyone else attending would have been thoroughly bored and pissed off !

• Like 1

i seriously dont think nordost rep played with volume level. 

that is why he leaves the volume level unchanged when changing cable.

(i think he is aware about this issue already) 

but i think the big mistake he make is using valhalla speaker cable and interconnect from the beginning.

everything sound so great from beginning.

changing lesser model (was is heimdal and kettle powercord?) really i could not tell much difference due to the tranparency of the valhalla.

if he uses lesser model ic and speaker cable. we probably could spot more striking difference in the sound.

Edited by copa

5 hours ago, SAVI Systems – Simon said:

A big thankyou to all who attended, I am glad you had a good night and that you could hear some differences.
The night was meant to be a bit of fun and an opportunity to hear some Nordost high end cables - which judging from the responses was accomplished emoji3.png

Hi Simon

I am thousands of Km's away on the east coast, but thank you for doing this for the guys in Perth. I lived in Esperance and Kalgoorlie, so WA is still a soft spot.

Regardless of my warm feelings - it is events like this which allows people (hifi tragics) to get first hand experience of products, which is so good. IMO we spend so much time on out computers and the internet and not enough actually listening to stuff. 

• Like 6

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Dunno, sounds a bit lame to me (Bjorns apparent inflexibility, not your comments krakatana)

Crapping on a retailers event thread who gave up their time and hosted and provided hospitality for StereoNET's members, is more lame IMO.

These demos will happen at stores around the country, AND the HFi Show, where you will get every chance to question everything yourself, first hand.

• Like 3

• Volunteer
14 minutes ago, Marc said:

Crapping on a retailers event thread who gave up their time and hosted and provided hospitality for StereoNET's members, is more lame IMO.

These demos will happen at stores around the country, AND the HFi Show, where you will get every chance to question everything yourself, first hand.

Marc I wasn't having a go at the retailer . Nor was I having a go at Nordost. Just saying that I don't understand how there couldn't have been time for a simple 5 minute test. 

Maybe I've missed a simple explanation. Apologies if I have. 

17 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Marc I wasn't having a go at the retailer . Nor was I having a go at Nordost. Just saying that I don't understand how there couldn't have been time for a simple 5 minute test. 

Maybe I've missed a simple explanation. Apologies if I have. 

I don't think you will ever get a cable demonstration where this will happen. Nor will they demonstrate another brands cables. It is simply not the purpose/goal of the demonstration.

• Volunteer
1 minute ago, blybo said:

I don't think you will ever get a cable demonstration where this will happen. Nor will they demonstrate another brands cables. It is simply not the purpose/goal of the demonstration.

Yep.

I think I've let my scepticism get in the way a bit. Apologies if that's taken the thread off track at all. 

I'll bow out now

2 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Yep.

I think I've let my scepticism get in the way a bit. Apologies if that's taken the thread off track at all. 

I'll bow out now

Pretty sure Audio Trends, and probably other retailers will let you try cables at home with a short (but fair) no questions asked refund period

On 3/25/2017 at 8:08 AM, blybo said:

Pretty sure Audio Trends, and probably other retailers will let you try cables at home with a short (but fair) no questions asked refund period

Hi, and BTW here at SAVI Systems we also have some scope for home trials of key Nordost products - PM me for details if any of you want :)

On 3/24/2017 at 0:08 PM, Pops110 said:

Thanks for letting me come along SAVI.

Was an interesting night. 

I thought I could hear a difference between most of the cables. Some were better some were not. It is a little hard to tell when it takes a little while to change cables over.

I thought a little of what Bjorn said was just marketing drivel, but he was a very good host, spoke well and did explain things fairly well.

There was no scope to suggest changes or to deviate from the Nordost plan, and it was held to a very tight timeframe.

Asking to change back from the most expensive back to the kettle cord was ruled out.

The only speaker cables used were the Valhalla so no idea how they compare to others.

Speakers were standmount Kefs, with Parasound integrated and Benchmark Dac. It was a very nice sounding system that with the right recording and music could throw an amazing sound stage , great bass depth etc.

I think I would like to try some Nordost in my system at some stage.

Please keep these nights going SAVI, was very good.

cheers Dave.

Hi Dave,

thanks for coming along, and glad you enjoyed the evening.

Yes, the Parasound and the KEF's play very nicely together :)

Also, the DAC was in fact a Questyle CMA600i.

http://www.questyleaudio.com/product-600i

cheers,

Simon Pressman

Edited by SAVI Systems – Simon
added link

• 2 weeks later...

Guest BobbyD
9 minutes ago, Jones99 said:

A real shame I missed this one would have liked to have attended......was Odin on hand for the demo?

No......

1 hour ago, SETSergio said:

No......

Valhalla 1 0r 2 ? Owned full set of Valhalla ...still have some xlrs which I keep as spares .....be curious to hear Odin and compare against my current cables in my own system .....this is pretty exciting  to possibly be able to do this in WA.

@SAVI Systems – Simon do you carry Odin?

• 3 weeks later...