Problem with NAD M3 amplifier

My NAD M3 sometimes switches to stand by mode in the middle of playing music. Sometimes it even switches from stand by to completely off.

The amplifier has protection against short circuits and overheating.

I have tried changing the speaker wires and also the speakers but problem remains.

The problem wouldnt seem to be actual over heating as the amp is only just perceptibly warmer than cold to touch. Sometimes the amp runs for long periods at higher output without going off sometimes only a short time at low volume is enough for it to turn off.

I suspected that the fault or temperature protection was faulty and asked a well qualified tech to check this but they found no fault .

Before I take the amp back to the tech , which is a pretty costly exercise, can anyone suggest any other possible reason why this could be happening.

Thanks.

Cheers Mike

I repair amplifiers. I think the most likely cause would be an intermittent fault (possibly a dry joint) or a leaky capacitor in the protection circuitry. I recently repaired a Parasound 855A amplifier that had exactly the same symptoms as you describe. There were four(!) faulty components in the protection circuit: a half open bridge rectifier in its power supply, an intermittent fuse, and two leaky capacitors. Any one of these four items was enough to cause the protection circuit to malfunction. Luckily for both me and the client, I soak tested the unit for long enough to find all four faults before handing the amplifier back. My experience shows just how difficult it can be sometimes, so don't be too hard on your technician.

I'd suggest you call Bosko Tadic (Head of Service) at Qualifi and ask who he recommends in Victoria for NAD. Best of luck.

I had this same issue when I had a M3. I sent it to NAD and quickly resolved it.

Be assured it's a fault they've seen before on that amp.

BTW- great amp!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I had that exact same issue with my 2 year old NAD C375BEE. Both the dealer and the warranty agent could not reproduce the fault - they even visited my home and tested my speakers and cables to rule out something in my environment.

At the end of the day they took back the NAD and gave me a new Yamaha A-S1100 which I am very happy with. But I will probably go back to NAD if I can find a nice used M3 - I am not a fan of NAD's latest products due to the amount of digital / software stuff going on.  Give me a nice and simple analog amp any day.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

@treuben The issue seems to have been resolved. The amplifier played up once straight away at the repairers. The tech gave the amp a good clean inside and left it on expecting the problem to reappear. The amp stayed on at the shop for 6 weeks and never played up again. I have since had it home for nearly 6 months in constant use and no further problem so it seems to fixed.

Cheers Mike

• Thanks 1