Jventer

REW and acoustics - help needed please

163 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, andyr said:

I probably did misunderstand, Dave.  :D

I can't seem to access your link (I'll try again when I get home)

The link is to this picture

TextbbokLR4[1].gif

4 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

The link is to this picture

TextbbokLR4[1].gif

Thanks, Dave.

Sure, that shows the filter FRs and the overall FR of a 24dB L-R XO @ 2Khz.  And the associated phase curve.

But I don't get the connection between this diagram and your comment "The delay varies with frequency."?

Andy

40 minutes ago, andyr said:

I can't seem to access your link (I'll try again when I get home) but I can understand that the delay varies with frequency.  So surely that means if you decide to delay the mains, say, by 6.5mS compared to the subs ... then this will only be correct at one particular frequency?  If this delay is 'correct' at 100hz - then the delay will be wrong when a 120hz note is playing?

Yes.

What needs to happen, is the change in phase (with frequency) for the subwoofer and the main, need to be the same.   Then .... when the drivers are aligned in time, they remain aligned at every frequency.

The picture I posted, there are actually 2 phases curves....  one over the top of the other (so it just looks like one) .... like you say, if those two phase curves were different .... then they could only be matched at one frequency (or over a limited frequency range).

44 minutes ago, andyr said:

how can the mic & REW help us get to this "right delay"?

Take measurements of your speaker(s)

See that they don't have the same delay (phase)

Ask ....  "why don't they have the same phase?"   (there is likely more than one reason)

Do something about it

Repeat

47 minutes ago, andyr said:

No, was not using the 'loopback timing reference'.  I'll have to read the manual more and then use this, next time I do more REW work

It's not essential, and I wouldn't bother at this stage  (it's chasing rainbows).

Assuming the answer to my next question (estimate delay button) was no .... then you need to click that, and things may become more clear   (if not, ask questions - as it's a very important part of the puzzle / concept).

52 minutes ago, andyr said:

I'm afraid i beg to differ

Knowing the transfer function of some existing filters is a reasonably simple piece of work.... which is nice that it's already done / easy for you .....  but it's really not what I was alluding to.

12 minutes ago, andyr said:

Sure, that shows the filter FRs and the overall FR of a 24dB L-R XO @ 2Khz.  And the associated phase curve.

But I don't get the connection between this diagram and your comment "The delay varies with frequency."?

"Phase" (ie. a time lead, or lag), and "delay" are the same thing.

"Delay", ie. every frequency delayed equally by X milliseconds .....  would have a phase curve that was horisontal.  (ie. constant with frequency)

The phase (delay) chart shown is not constant with frequency   ie.   it is a graphics representation of the statement "the delay varies with frequency"

34 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

"Phase" (ie. a time lead, or lag), and "delay" are the same thing.

"Delay", ie. every frequency delayed equally by X milliseconds .....  would have a phase curve that was horisontal.  (ie. constant with frequency)

The phase (delay) chart shown is not constant with frequency   ie.   it is a graphics representation of the statement "the delay varies with frequency"

OK, yes - that I can understand.  Thanks, Dave,

So if we didn't have a 24dB L-R XO @ 2Khz ... the phase line would be flat - right?

But as soon as we implement XOs, we must put up with the resulting phase differences with frequency - right?

So in my system, having these XOs:

• sub LP / bass panel HP @ 100hz
  • bass panel LP / mid panel HP @ ~350hz
  • mid panel LP / ribbon HP @ ~3,500hz

. . . it is not surprising there is nowhere (in my system) where I have minimum phase! :D

40 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Knowing the transfer function of some existing filters is a reasonably simple piece of work.... which is nice that it's already done / easy for you .....  but it's really not what I was alluding to.

That I'm afraid I don't understand.  :(  (What you were alluding to.)

To me, going active with Maggies is a simple exercise - I thought you said it was complex?

• we know what each model's XO schematics are
  • so we know the component values and the driver resistances
  • so we can get (using lspCAD or similar ... or even an excel spreadsheet) the slopes and -3dB frequencies (-6dB in the case of L-R XOs)
  • so we can feed these into the miniDSP to get active versions of these original passive XOs.

Andy

Edited by andyr

1 hour ago, andyr said:

So if we didn't have a 24dB L-R XO @ 2Khz ... the phase line would be flat - right?

Yes.   The amplitude and phase of the input signal is flat.

1 hour ago, andyr said:

But as soon as we implement XOs, we must put up with the resulting phase differences with frequency - right?

Yes, when you distort the amplitude response .... you also distort the phase response    (because amplitude and phase are just two views of the same thing)

1 hour ago, andyr said:

. . . it is not surprising there is nowhere (in my system) where I have minimum phase! :D

Yes....  but you have a lot more phase rotation in your data than will be caused by the filters.     There is many possible causes of this (and you likely have more than one of them going on).    This comes back to what we were saying previously about only measuring one thing at a time.     If you measure the combined response of two drivers  (which will usually have a phase rotation due to the summed crossover response) ..... then there's lots of things which are obscured from us.     The result is not "minimum phase" .... but we don't know why  (and we can't say  "EQ here would be bad" ..... because we don't know if we should be expecting the response to be minimum phase or not .... the non-minimum phase-ness, could be caused by something which doesn't preclude EQ).

I think there is potentially a really big misunderstanding going on in this thread.     EQ can be used everywhere.    There is (basically) no region of a room, or a speaker, where you cannot use EQ.

.... but if you take a measurement.   There are areas of that measurement where the data is "wrong" and you should not use that data to design your EQ.

1 hour ago, andyr said:

That I'm afraid I don't understand.  :(  (What you were alluding to.)

Exactly what I said.    Acoustics and filter design.

Being told what filters to use (is helpful, I appreciate, but) covers only a tiny fraction of it.

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

Exactly what I said.    Acoustics and filter design.

Being told what filters to use (is helpful, I appreciate, but) covers only a tiny fraction of it.

OK, for now, Dave ... let's focus on just one scenario - which I will describe thusly:

• given Maggies are supplied with a passive XO (which consists only of filters)
  • given we know the slope & knee frequencies of these filters, and which way round the drivers are connected
  • then we can enter this data into the miniDSP

. . . and end up with the same filters - but delivered actively - as were delivered passively in the stock Maggie.  Which means the same phase behaviour with the active scenario as in the stock (passive) Maggie.

Do you agree with this or not?  (If not ... I would like to know your reasons.)

Thanks,

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

OK, for now, Dave ... let's focus on just one scenario - which I will describe thusly:

• given Maggies are supplied with a passive XO (which consists only of filters)
  • given we know the slope & knee frequencies of these filters, and which way round the drivers are connected
  • then we can enter this data into the miniDSP

. . . and end up with the same filters - but delivered actively - as were delivered passively in the stock Maggie.  Which means the same phase behaviour with the active scenario as in the stock (passive) Maggie.

Do you agree with this or not?  (If not ... I would like to know your reasons.)

Yes, I do agree.

However, the next step 'evaluate the result', is something which will be difficult without knowledge.

... and so, as much as you're trying not to be ... this scenario is actually a prime example of what ghost4man was talking about.  He makes a very good point.    Even the most trivial 'taking a speaker active' exercise like yours, requires reasonably extensive knowledge in order to actually get a positive change - simply replacing passive filters, with multiple amplifiers and filters which produce the same transfer function, is not something that's expected to be a positive change by itself.

For example ....  your crossover points 350, 3500 show sharp changes in the response.    This looks like a significant problem to me (but I don't have enough info to be sure).   What can you say about them?

Yes, I do agree.

Thank you, Dave.

For example ....  your crossover points 350, 3500 show sharp changes in the response.    This looks like a significant problem to me (but I don't have enough info to be sure).   What can you say about them?

Sorry, you've lost me?

My XO points are 100, 350 and 3500hz - this is between:

1. sub & bass panel (which is an extra - not part of the stock Maggie XO)
  2. bass panel & mid panel
  3. mid panel & ribbon.

#2 and #3 are just the same as in the stock passive setup.  I included the sub/bass XO that I now have simply to explain that with all these XOs ... there ain't gonna be - given the phase shift shown in the XO diagram you posted - any area of my overall FR that has a flat phase response?

To me this is not "a problem" ... it is simply the result of wanting to use so many XO points.

... and so, as much as you're trying not to be ... this scenario is actually a prime example of what ghost4man was talking about.  He makes a very good point.    Even the most trivial  'taking a speaker active' exercise like yours, requires reasonably extensive knowledge in order to actually get a positive change - simply replacing passive filters, with multiple amplifiers and filters which produce the same transfer function, is not something that's expected to be a positive change by itself.

Mmmm, all I can say is that (having gone 3-way (analogue) active about 15 years ago) all I have done is swap digital filter pairs for the same analogue filter pairs that I've been using for years.  But with the cross to digital filters, I added subs.  Which makes it even harder to have any 'minimum phase' regions.

Yes, obviously some knowledge about filters and lspCAD is required ... but I have this.  Ozzie - as he's a relative 'newbie' to Maggies and active XOs - does not.  (But I'm sure he would dispute this.)

Andy

On 4/19/2017 at 1:24 PM, davewantsmoore said:

TextbbokLR4[1].gif

On 4/19/2017 at 1:32 PM, andyr said:

Andy

As Dave said, non-zero negative phase (phase lag) is delay - let's leave "phase lead" alone for a second.

Take the graph above and look at 1kHz - the brown phase line is approx -90 degrees.

To convert this to time delay the formula is

time delay = phase / (360 x F)

So in this case time delay = 90/(360 x 1000) = 0.25 ms

Now look at 10kHz - the brown line is approx (30 - 360) = -330 degrees (remember we're looking at a wrapped phase plot so subtract 360 degrees as it's after 1 vertical line)

time delay = 330/(360 x 10000) = .092 ms

@andyr - does that make it easier to understand that the delay varies with frequency?

All IIR filters have variable delay with frequency. A linear phase FIR filter has constant delay for all frequencies.

The nice thing about an LR4 Xover is that High Pass and Low Pass responses are always in phase - as Dave said the brown line is the phase response of both HP and LP - so although the delay varies with frequency, the delay is the same for each.

The same can't be said for a 2nd order Butterworth Xover for example (hence the bump or dip in FR at Xover).

It's because the drivers of an LR4 are in phase that you get a perfectly flat FR after summing.

The benefits of the LR4 Xover requires you've achieved an "Acoustic LR4" and not just an "Electrical LR4" within the Xover - Linkwitz discusses the need for time alignment of non-coincident drivers etc etc, and unless the drivers (or in your case panels) are flat several octaves away from the Xover point, you'll never achieve close to an Acoustic LR4 response.

These are some of the complexities Dave was alluding to in designing Xovers.

cheers

Mike

On 4/19/2017 at 0:05 AM, Jventer said:

Follow up. I have done 2 quick sweeps with a pair of JPW booshelves. (The graph is not 100% as the JPW's were done to get 83 dB whilst before I was trying to hit 85dB.)

The JPW look totally different at about 150hz but then expexperience a drop/suckout  depending on position at about 150 to 180hz

Also note the difference between left and right speakers at about 160hz whilst the left is low the right drops double as low.

There is something going on between 150 and 200hz and I am still stumped.

JPW and prev.jpg

I feel your frustration

On 4/19/2017 at 11:25 AM, davewantsmoore said:

There isn't a simple answer to this.

agreed

And my personal experience doesn't help a lot in your case - since I've been measuring my speakers and room, I've always done speaker measurements outdoors, then corrected the speaker response to flat based on the outdoor measurement, then moved the speakers into the room and worked on room correction (knowing that the baseline speaker response outdoors was flat).

I've also never dealt with large floorstanders like yours with multiple woofers - I run a "simpler" system with one driver covering 40 - 300Hz.

In your case we have an additional "degree of freedom" where we don't know the "anechoic" response of the speakers, so being able to tell what is room related and what is speaker related is much harder - but even outdoor measurements will have reflections in the measurement down low.

Keep posting and I'll keep trying to assist - but if it get's too tiresome you could consider contacting someone like @Paul Spencer who does this stuff (room measurement and consulting) commercially, and he will possibly be able (with your assistance) to do some remote measurements - a (likely long) phone call, internet and tools like Team Viewer make remote measurement possible - just a thought and I have no idea if Paul has tried remote measurement...

Reviewing your graphs I don't think you've done a series of on-axis measurements on 1 speaker at different distances.

Unfortunately large tower speakers like yours with multiple woofers in a D'Appolito config is trickier.

I think the Xoxer between mid and woofer is 125Hz on your speakers.

We're trying to find an issue <300Hz so let's ignore the tweeter response

Do a series of on axis measurements in line with the midrange from close miked (nearly touching the driver) to as far back as possible (still on axis).

We "should" see a smoother result close miked, with more peaks and dips that shift in frequency as you move the mike further away.

cheers

Mike

1 person likes this

@almikel @davewantsmoore

Thanks for responses. I am hoping to do some more (proper) measurements during the weekend or Anzac day. I will measure outdoors, on axis and off axis and see how it goes.

12 hours ago, almikel said:

As Dave said, non-zero negative phase (phase lag) is delay - let's leave "phase lead" alone for a second.

Take the graph above and look at 1kHz - the brown phase line is approx -90 degrees.

To convert this to time delay the formula is

time delay = phase / (360 x F)

So in this case time delay = 90/(360 x 1000) = 0.25 ms

Now look at 10kHz - the brown line is approx (30 - 360) = -330 degrees (remember we're looking at a wrapped phase plot so subtract 360 degrees as it's after 1 vertical line)

time delay = 330/(360 x 10000) = .092 ms

@andyr - does that make it easier to understand that the delay varies with frequency?

Yes it does, Mike - thanks.  (Even at a quick glance.)  I'll look at it closer, tonight.  Might have some more Qs, though. :)

12 hours ago, almikel said:

These are some of the complexities Dave was alluding to in designing Xovers.

cheers

Mike

OK - understood.  In my case, I'm not interested in designing XOs which are better than what Magnepan supplied - simply in reproducing with a miniDSP, what the passive XO delivers.

Andy