Speakers for a Sansui au4900?

I've just become the proud owner of my first vintage Sansui amp which should arrive tomorrow. I have a pair of old Realistic 2 ways from the early 80's however I was thinking of getting something a little better if I can.

I'm looking second hand around the $200-$300 mark. I know it's a low budget but this is my third system in the house (wife:emot-bang:). Any suggestions what may gel well with this amp. Ebay and Gumtree are fine.

Thanks

Blake

58 minutes ago, Cafad said:

You're going to be spoilt for choice there Blake, Sansuis sound good on everything!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JM-Lab-Focal-Tantal-507-Bookshelf-Standmount-Speakers-/322436414819?hash=item4b12b53d63:g:MfsAAOSwSlBYsAk-

These look interesting, but that's just my opinion.

They do look interesting. Never seen them before. Good on anything hey? Bet I know one brand it wouldn't sound good with.

B_S_

Want to buy a vowel? :)

• Like 1

Standmounts or floorstanders?

I have a 7500 (just refurbished), which I've tried with my ProAc Super EBTs and a pair of vintage Mission 770's. Both very good.

Suggest you try your Sansui with the speakers you've got and move around from there. Vintage will probably be your best fit.

ii''s suggest that with that amp, you can go with speakers that are on the brighter side of neutral. i.e if a pair of speakers were described as 'too bright' with a modern amp they may sound 'just right' with your vintage Sansui. The advice that @gemini07 gave is sound though, no need to rush into anything. Get to know your new friend and then plan your next move :)

• Like 1

I've got a pair of Quad 11 L Classics.

These are their specs:

General Description.2-way bookshelf speaker

Enclosure Type. Bass Reflex

Midbass Driver. 125mm woven Kevlar cone

Treble Driver. 25mm fabric dome

Magnetic Shielding No

Crossover Frequency 2.2kHz

Frequency Response  (+/-3dB)48Hz - 22kHz

Sensitivity (2.83v @ 1m)87dB

Nominal Impedance. 6 Ohms

Minimum Impedance. 4 Ohms

Recommended Amplifier Power30 - 150W

Net Weight 6.3kg (each)

Now Darko did a review of them a few years back and I bought his speakers, still got them. He said...

The Quad 11L Classic can be found at the corner Wharfedale and Usher:  Diamond 10.1 (AU$420) emotive midrange expression, S-520 precision and detail.  Detail that isn’t forced upon you.  With the budget Ushers you have little choice – you are obliged to take it.  The Quads’ polite way with exceptional inner-detail retrieval can be met halfway.  I enjoy spending time with Usher accuracy and Wharfedale musicality.

Click to open image!
Click to open image!
Click to open image!
Click to open image!

Classic Quad offer the best of both worlds.  Compromise is always part of the hifi experience.  In Quad’s case, it’s an enjoyable compromise.

Nit-pickers seeking more detail from me – and the their speakers – should note that the Quads reside closer to The House of Usher than (country estate) Wharfedale.  The Quad 11L Classic slowly submerges the listener in a deep pool of detail (should s/he so wish).  Surface swimming on calmer waters is also possible.

As cornball as it sounds, I found no annoyances or anomalies with the Quad 11L Classic’s overall presentation.  Classic by name, classic by nature.  I held fast to the same amplifier throughout all listening sessions: an Exposure 2010s2.  Not once did I feel the itch to go through my usual integrated switcheroo.  I could easily live with this pairing as my only, full-time system.  It’s a pairing that’s assured and enjoyable.

There is more of the review here>>Click

My point in mentioning them is that I've had the enjoyable experience of driving them with the entire model run of your newly acquired amp ; AU-2900/3900/4900/5900/6900/7900

and I've driven some other speakers with those amps as well from 87 to 92 to 98dB.

Even my current OB's have been driven nicely by these amps.

I paid $750 odd for the Quads at the time and I think a good condition pair still brings $400 but there are older versions of the 11L that are way cheaper and they pop up on eBay all the time. $280 to $350 odd would pull them up.

The AU-4900 is the big little amp before you step up to the little big amp the AU-5900 and it'll drive most speakers around the specs of the 11L with ease. I've not heard them with overly bright speakers but...they are a surprisingly good amp for their age and it's a testament to their build quality and performance that they lead the pack in the vintage 70's amps that are desirable, popular and extremely functional.

You'll not lose any money when you move it on(if you move it on) that's for sure and I'd be pretty confidant about them driving most speakers you care to throw at them(within reason).

Have fun!

They do look interesting. Never seen them before. Good on anything hey? Bet I know one brand it wouldn't sound good with.

B_S_
Want to buy a vowel? [emoji4]

Ive had some bose speakers .. 7 and 5 series and been very impressed, regardless of the bashing. They make some good kit ... just way too expensive new

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You will have too many options in that price range. I found boston hd7 and paradigm titans superb in the sub $150 range. I also ran some alr jordans from a au 5700 and they were superb-er. Sold them to someone who also ran them with an au 5500. My fav vintage speaker remains the epicure 100v if you can find them .. typically $100-$150..

38 minutes ago, Snapper() said:

Ive had some bose speakers .. 7 and 5 series and been very impressed, regardless of the bashing. They make some good kit ... just way too expensive new

Yeah I was only joking around. There are some good bose speakers around. I just don't think I could justify the price.

If you want the full 70's  experience  try irreparable brain damge from illicit drug abuse, alimony payments from divorce proceedings and uti damge from STD's

JUST KIDDING! 

Go some bigger is best Sansui speakers with the wood lattice grilles. Some fullrange Philips 12 inch drivers.

Kenwood, Sony or Technics multi ways if you can have a listen. Seas coaxials or fullrangers from this era are real sweet. Even some of the early Marantz weren't half bad depending on who Marantz got to build em.

Lots to choose from, enjoy the journey.

I inherited one of these amps over 35years ago.....it is still going strong, as is the matching Radio Tuner [tu 3900].

Originally I was using KEF Concerto Speakers with this amp......they are definitely too large for your needs though.......I would love to hear the  Quad 11 L Classics.....

Enjoy the amp for many years to come!

@Kyle_Melbourne TU-3900 aren't thick on the ground and they're a lovely tuner for the AU-2900/3900/4900

If I was in Bleak City you could have a lend of my Quads.

They sit downstairs in all their piano gloss glory gathering dust even though they're safely wrapped up in their custom bags that you get with their original purchase along with some nice white gloves that fit little people's hands and no one else.:D

The 1970's amp manufacturers have all left a great legacy to us, the lucky buggers who can cherry pick these amps off Gumtree and eBay and here and AudioMart and a host of other sites and bricks&mortar stores and places.

Always hang on to an early amp or two or three as they are just such good value and once  checked and overhauled by some of the experts we have here on tap at SNA...well, we really are a lucky bunch of Vegimites aren't we.

I have a pair of Celestion Ditton circa 1973 in excellent condition that would suit. Quite large - about 78cm tall. Came from original owner in original house! Pretty vintage - carpeted grills. Not 100% sure which model, but reasonably sure they are Ditton 44's. Around 50w RMS, but haven't pulled them apart to identify the exact model.

dittons.jpg