NBN HFC coming to my street. What to do?

Hi,

I'm finally getting NBN coming my way (Forestville, Sydney) but it will be the existing HFC cable strung out on the street poles. I currently run ADSL with wifi around the house.

I have some challenges I want to deal with.

• I'm down a battleaxe block. The existing phone line runs down a buried conduit down the concrete driveway about 100m.
  • I'm in a duplex which means the same conduit also supplies my neighbour's phone line.
  • I'd like house data wiring, as I've not been happy with wireless, but I don't know whether to use CAT6 or a fiber solution. Key locations are where I like to stream music - loungeroom and study etc. which are on different floors.
  • I don't know where the ISPs installation ends and a private installers job begins.
  • I don't know any recommended private installers in my area.

I know SNA members have a wealth of experience so I look forward to your advice.

1 hour ago, Raffinator said:

I'm down a battleaxe block. The existing phone line runs down a buried conduit down the concrete driveway about 100m.

NBN are responsible for this.    No worries.

I'm in a duplex which means the same conduit also supplies my neighbour's phone line.

NBN will also take care of this.

I'd like house data wiring, as I've not been happy with wireless, but I don't know whether to use CAT6 or a fiber solution. Key locations are where I like to stream music - loungeroom and study etc. which are on different floors.

The internal wiring is your responsibility.    Use CAT6 (or similar).

I don't know where the ISPs installation ends and a private installers job begins.

There will be a box placed on the outside of your house... with wiring through to a box placed on the inside of your house... All of this is NBNs responsibility.

Your ISPs responsibility is:

• To arrange everything with NBN.   You only deal with your ISP ... Your ISP tells you what is happening and when, and you contact your ISP to ask questions, etc.    There is no circumstance where you speak to NBN.
  • If you've agreed with them - provide you with a modem or similar device  (or you provide it yourself).   This device plugs into the "box on the inside of your house"  (the one NBN put there).

Everything after this device, ie.  the internal wiring of your house.  Is up to you  (use CAT6 or similar).

I don't know any recommended private installers in my area.

Quotes may vary wildly.   Get 3, and made sure they come onsite to do so.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, okitoki said:

Are you getting FTTP  or FTTN?  

if FTTN there will not be a box needed and all you need is a NBN able modem and connect like your ADSL modem.

Don't know - just said it would be HFC. 

Planned availability: Apr-Jun 2017*.

Planned technology: nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC)*.

What @davewantsmoore said.

CAT5e/6 in the house. If you go CAT6, make sure your cabler doesn't skimp on hardware (patch panels, jacks etc) - they do make a difference, so feel free to post whatever you get quoted in detail. Or make up an order on 4cabling and have someone install that.

Plan a cupboard that you can store your 'network everything' in.

You don't need fibre but you'd benefit to your HTPC with an optoisolator. 

18 minutes ago, Raffinator said:

Don't know - just said it would be HFC. 

Sorry - I've given you information as if you were getting fibre to the premesis/home.

It's been a long day >_<

The difference to the advice I gave before, is in the picture you posted....   although HFC rollouts are quite new, so there's not a lot to go on yet.

• You'll get a box placed on the outside of your house (NBN responsibility)
  • You get a box inside your house (NBN responsibility), which I understand is free standing - this box connects to a power point, and to an existing HFC socket
    • I am not clear on who's responsibility is is, if you live in a HFC area - but you do not have your house wired for HFC (ie. you've never had payTV, and you got skipped during the payTV rollouts) --- hopefully this is not you
  • Your ISP supplies you a box (or you provide you own), which you connect to the NBN inside box
  • Your home network (your responsibility) connects to the ISP box
Edited by davewantsmoore

14 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Yep - Unfortunately no wiring for HFC

In this case, then I have a specific suggestion for you.

When you get the letter from NBN to say it is available.   Call an ISP and request a service connected.

Don't tell the ISP about your "special situation" ....  don't hide any details from them if they ask.... but what I mean is don't tell them "there is a problem" --- because you don't know this is a problem  (it shouldn't be - there are lots of people in your situation).

It is up to an ISP to work this out with NBN.   The golden rule is you don't ever speak to NBN.... and the "standard install" for NBN will be free for you.

My expectation, is that that one of two things will happen once your ISP requests an install from NBN.

• NBN will put a box on the outside of your house.... and then run HFC cabling to a new wall socket inside your house (you should be able to choose where this resides)
  • NBN will put a box on the outside of your house... and run the internal wiring using fibre also  (ie. FTTH)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Hi,

I'm finally getting NBN coming my way (Forestville, Sydney) but it will be the existing HFC cable strung out on the street poles. I currently run ADSL with wifi around the house.

I have some challenges I want to deal with.

• I'm down a battleaxe block. The existing phone line runs down a buried conduit down the concrete driveway about 100m.
  • I'm in a duplex which means the same conduit also supplies my neighbour's phone line.
  • I'd like house data wiring, as I've not been happy with wireless, but I don't know whether to use CAT6 or a fiber solution. Key locations are where I like to stream music - loungeroom and study etc. which are on different floors.
  • I don't know where the ISPs installation ends and a private installers job begins.
  • I don't know any recommended private installers in my area.

I know SNA members have a wealth of experience so I look forward to your advice.

we have longer version of yours .... we have buried cable in pits along street. we have been told (and this was in the nbn letter - and booklet) that there will be a box on our house and into a box that will be in the house. also if we have phones etc on land line they will all need to be converted over. all NO cost to us. they will do all they need to do outside without bothering us. and its only whats needed to be done inside that we will be contacted and asked to make and appointment. things like local networks etc inside the house is your problem ! :D

but ofcourse thats the letter. absolutely nothing as such happening apart from the tending of the rope that went on for a few weeks. but not been anyone through for a few weeks. they have a couple of months as per their old notification to get it done.

ofcourse nbn has been sending people letters since pushing things out as well so good ness knows when it actually happens !  

note latest is publication that fibre to the street has started to be nominated for streets in melb/sydney as well so unless this happens soon we quite possibly end up on back of that aswell.

3 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Probably the later

Or you may end up with a variant of FTTC / FTTdp .... which means a box closer to the street, which reuses your existing telephone lines (and nothing may need to happen at your house).

Again, don't delay ordering a service - as NBN may take a while to sort this out (if you are not "HFC ready")

On 2/27/2017 at 8:52 PM, davewantsmoore said:

Sorry - I've given you information as if you were getting fibre to the premesis/home.

It's been a long day >_<

The difference to the advice I gave before, is in the picture you posted....   although HFC rollouts are quite new, so there's not a lot to go on yet.

• You'll get a box placed on the outside of your house (NBN responsibility)
  • You get a box inside your house (NBN responsibility), which I understand is free standing - this box connects to a power point, and to an existing HFC socket
    • I am not clear on who's responsibility is is, if you live in a HFC area - but you do not have your house wired for HFC (ie. you've never had payTV, and you got skipped during the payTV rollouts) --- hopefully this is not you
  • Your ISP supplies you a box (or you provide you own), which you connect to the NBN inside box
  • Your home network (your responsibility) connects to the ISP box

Dave,  in my place I already have Telstra cable and the Foxtel is running off the same cable with a coax splitter splitting the signal to Foxtel box and cable modem,  does this mean my house is wired for HFC ? I also have ADSL 2+ as well, does it mean I can retain ADSL2+ connection as a spare and move on to NBN in around 2 months time ?

10 hours ago, Jliang70 said:

Dave,  in my place I already have Telstra cable and the Foxtel is running off the same cable with a coax splitter splitting the signal to Foxtel box and cable modem,  does this mean my house is wired for HFC ?

Yes.      If you get the NBN delivered over your cable (HFC) infrastructure (which is likely)....  Your install will be as simple as:

• Replace the coax splitter
  • Replace the cable modem, with an NBN connection box
  • Connect an ISP supplied modem to the NBN connection box (using an ethernet cable)