Item: Magnepan 1. 7
Price:WITHDRAWN
Item Condition: very good
Reason for selling:  have made changes to my study and just don't have the space anymore. 
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash only 
Extra Info:   No boxes so pick up only.
IMG_4623.thumb.JPG.5c57b1d0ee93eb719fbc74cbd2e3c701.JPGIMG_4624.thumb.JPG.bbe28d8b268d685a7f565599138910b8.JPGIMG_4625.thumb.JPG.e5fcd4d7ad80e6405c4224a80c9631c1.JPGIMG_4627.thumb.JPG.c532ebfc82e9249da02f529db5a83e3a.JPGIMG_4629.thumb.JPG.2b23613b5106a6b4e879eda4e37535b2.JPGIMG_4628.thumb.JPG.b2a1e097212506cbcae0ecf9646c4230.JPGIMG_4631.thumb.JPG.682a7a10bccf24fdccfc7ac7cabb4f76.JPGIMG_4630.thumb.JPG.f772bfef57709df588c917b11b8fd733.JPG

IMG_4626.JPG

Edited by buddyev
pics
  • Like 1

Fraid so. They sound absolutely wonderful in my study but I've always got boxes of manuscripts and books piled all over the place and they occupy too much space.  I pushed my luck and put them in the lounge for a while but they're not really suitable for such a big room.

I've loved my affair with Maggie. They're not for headbangers for sure, but in the right space and with most types of music everything the silly fan boys say about them is true - there really is nothing like them. 

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

No Russ!!

Say it ain't so ..

Trev, those of us who are "joined at the hips" with Maggie ... realise what they do to us ... and how we thus have to accommodate their foibles.  :D

Others - pah!  Maggies are just a route on a serial progression of 'routes' (you can pronounce that any way you like)!  :P

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 3

A working study is a beautiful thing. One of the distinctive features of such a study is the sense of myriad projects and pieces of work under way. This is hinted at by the absence of horizontal surfaces, or rather, that they can be found but only by moving stuff, and the stuff under that stuff.  Another is that the bookcases are packed according to some strange yet purposeful method, a code that can be cracked but only when one groks at last the arcane and eldritch crotchets and enthusiasms of the occupant. As compared to designer-magazine chic offices where cultural insignia and artifacts are sorted by such trite and vapid methods as 'by spine colour' or 'in descending size'.

A third 'tell' is that, if the owner is an audiophile, bookshelf speakers are not to be seen even though the room itself overflows with bookcases.

Careful with that next step, big fella. There's a whole team prepped and ready to rally around, 24/7. Just reach out and say the word.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

A working study is a beautiful thing. One of the distinctive features of such a study is the sense of myriad projects and pieces of work under way. This is hinted at by the absence of horizontal surfaces, or rather, that they can be found but only by moving stuff, and the stuff under that stuff.  Another is that the bookcases are packed according to some strange yet purposeful method, a code that can be cracked but only when one groks at last the arcane and eldritch crotchets and enthusiasms of the occupant. As compared to designer-magazine chic offices where cultural insignia and artifacts are sorted by such trite and vapid methods as 'by spine colour' or 'in descending size'.

A third 'tell' is that, if the owner is an audiophile, bookshelf speakers are not to be seen even though the room itself overflows with bookcases.

Careful with that next step, big fella. There's a whole team prepped and ready to rally around, 24/7. Just reach out and say the word.

I never wanted an 'interesting' study.  What I've always wanted was for my study to be a clean white functional box with a computer, an iPad for ebooks, maybe a few current books as a nostalgic hat tip, a hi fi and a chair. 

I've spent too much time around physical books - dusty heavy bl@@dy things that they are -  to fetishise them (I'm in good company here - George Orwell felt the same.)

But despite my best efforts at divestment and the Gropian ideal my study always ends up a chaotic dumping ground.

I think my Viennas will go back to the study and new boxes will go in the lounge - not sure what.

Edited by buddyev

Thought about 'PM sent', finger hovered over the enter key for a second or two, thought back to Gandalf's often furrowed brow and harried demeanour and increasingly frequent attendance at any and all GTG's and then placed 'Maggies' into the jumble of assumptions and decided not to hit send.

GLWTS Mr B.Ev

• Like 1

@buddyev

I was in Bills shop last weekend listening to the 1.7's getting driven by the stupendous Sanders Magtech coupled with

a DWM woofer panel. 

It was seriously liquid. This much I agree with Andy - we are joined at the hip with these damn room dividers and nothing

else matters.

I've heard 100k worth of gear and it still didnt touch that maggie aura.

If I wasnt about to engage in a Holton Amplifier build to give me 800wpc into 4 ohms I'd be buying these maggies just

to keep them in the family.

GLWTS 

• Like 4

On 27/02/2017 at 7:27 PM, buddyev said:

Fraid so. They sound absolutely wonderful in my study but I've always got boxes of manuscripts and books piled all over the place and they occupy too much space.  I pushed my luck and put them in the lounge for a while but they're not really suitable for such a big room.

I've loved my affair with Maggie. They're not for headbangers for sure, but in the right space and with most types of music everything the silly fan boys say about them is true - there really is nothing like them. 

Oi, just to correct this outrageous statement, I did have a pair of Maggies, yes bigger they were, but nevertheless, they are for Headbangers.  

And BTW, I am a Russ too !!!

I sold mine and regretted it. I say spare the Maggies and list the books.  Let Kon Mari be your guide

Cheers

Russ

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ghost4man said:

@buddyev

I was in Bills shop last weekend listening to the 1.7's getting driven by the stupendous Sanders Magtech coupled with

a DWM woofer panel. 

It was seriously liquid. This much I agree with Andy - we are joined at the hip with these damn room dividers and nothing

else matters.

I've heard 100k worth of gear and it still didnt touch that maggie aura.

If I wasnt about to engage in a Holton Amplifier build to give me 800wpc into 4 ohms I'd be buying these maggies just

to keep them in the family.

GLWTS 

I have to agree with you there and you are very lucky to be able to Wonder into Bills shop and experience this combination at will.  I, on the other hand can only experience this when the HIFI show is on.   And I have to say that you  can go from room to room and you hear and listen to all the different rigs and settings,  and how some whinge about the rooms!   However as always the Magnaplan  room is always a highlight of the show, very memerable, those DWM panels are an extension to the 1.7 and suits them well.  At least the 1.7 is within realistic reach.   I walked into a room that was $250k but equally impressive was the 1.7 and the Sanders Electronics that shines through. 

• Like 1

Oi, just to correct this outrageous statement, I did have a pair of Maggies, yes bigger they were, but nevertheless, they are for Headbangers.  

I sold mine and regretted it. I say spare the Maggies and list the books.  Let Kon Mari be your guide

Cheers

Russ

Do not be sad Russ, your beloved Maggie's are being very well looked after as part of the collection in the living room :)

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 27/02/2017 at 7:27 PM, buddyev said:

...They're not for headbangers for sure, but in the right space and with most types of music everything the silly fan boys say about them is true - there really is nothing like them. 

Nothing a reasonable sub can't remedy. I tended to put the sub on when I was getting on the turps. Seemed to prefer that extra cone thump after a few cold Coopers SA.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Headbanger said:

Cheers

Russ

A million apologies Russ. 

I can't imagine why I said such an outrageous thing!

Us Russes have got to stick together.

19 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I have to agree with you there and you are very lucky to be able to Wonder into Bills shop and experience this combination at will.  I, on the other hand can only experience this when the HIFI show is on.   And I have to say that you  can go from room to room and you hear and listen to all the different rigs and settings,  and how some whinge about the rooms!   However as always the Magnaplan  room is always a highlight of the show, very memerable, those DWM panels are an extension to the 1.7 and suits them well.  At least the 1.7 is within realistic reach.   I walked into a room that was $250k but equally impressive was the 1.7 and the Sanders Electronics that shines through. 

@Addicted to music

Today was just one of those days where everything went wrong.

@gonefishing999 the beautiful person that he is popped in on his way to the north coast and we did some heavy testing again.

Well what didnt go wrong. His Lexicon 5 channel came a cropper.

I have been yelling and screaming and shouting out that top of my voice the importance of doing the proper testing with a soundcard

and REW and minidsp. Today I learnt a hard lesson. 

Maggies dont just love muscle, they need it. By the end  of the day my right HF tweeter ribbon blew! Yikes.

You arent a proper maggie owner if you havent blown a ribbon.

Why did it happen? Well you need an amp that can deliver at 2 ohm loads in spades.

I promise mate you'll never get an argument out of me again when it comes to the worthiness of a Sanders amp.
And please dont kid yourselves into thinking that when you go active the amp dedicated for the HF has less of a footprint

to deal with. Codswallop. It makes little difference. If you dont have the power you are going to pay.

I was getting massive cliff drops in the HF which was patently obvious in the graph. So we did a test. We swapped one 

of the amps for my Behringer ep4000 which can handle 1 ohm loads. Funny thing happened to the graph. No more drop off.

Swapped it back and not long after it went :(

Thats why I am going to jump on the Holton - poor man's Sanders :)

How can you not love these maggies :)

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of inquiries, several offers but still here.

as a bonus for today only I will throw in a copy of the delightful kamahl's greatest hits on vinyl -  extremely rare and collectable.

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 3