Kii Audio Launch Event

WarwickF

Pure Music Group will be holding a demonstration evening at the Sonic Purity Showroom in Moorabbin on March 9 at 7pm. On demo will be the exciting new KiiTHREE active loudspeakers together with the just released KiiCONTROL user interface. This fully integrated compact system delivers audiophile quality sound in a room friendly package. Each speaker has 6 x N-Core amplifiers directly powering each speaker driver, plus a DAC, ADC, DSP and manual adjustments. They come in a wide range of standard and custom finishes to suit any decor. You only need to add your digital and/or analogue source and you have a fully functioning system. The system is extremely cost effective as you will need to spend 2-3 times the price of the price of the KiiTHREE to achieve similar sound quality using separate components. Special prices will be available to visitors on the night.

Read the latest rave review of the KiiTHREE here.

Call or email us to let us know if you would like to attend and for directions of how to get there.

Contact details are here. Coffee, Tea and nibbles will be provided.

Kii3Main.jpg.fc792f7cdf6d0e15d039c4f0e736a7a8.jpg

I hope to hear these speakers in a couple of weeks. They are causing a huge stir in Europe as they challenge many entrenched ideas of audio and appear on the face of it at least, to represent stunning value. They are quite a technological tour de force in modern active speaker design. If you are curious you should take Warwick up on this opportunity :)

2 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

OTOH, with DSP adjustment it will have more scope for changes than most.

I don't think people buying all-in-one systems will spend time sitting there and tweaking DSP every week.  Their aim is to have less to do with audio technology.  They are from the world of "DSPee what?".  These systems would suit my neighbors, who don't give a stuff about audio.  :D

Guest Misterioso
53 minutes ago, generichs said:

These systems would suit my neighbors, who don't give a stuff about audio. 

That's certainly not the target group for the Kii speakers. Why should someone from the "DSPee what?" brigade even consider the KiiTHREE? These are high end speakers in about every aspect. Cheers to Warwick for making them available down under!

For many the main disadvantage of the Kii THREE speakers is going to be that they render most of the gear meticulously collected at a great expense over many years, less than optimal, if not useless. There's no surprise that they try to "protect" their investment by rubbishing things that are not agreeable with their chosen path. For them the cost of progress is much higher than just the new gear: they have to take into account the loss of value of their existing setup, should they decide to embrace the new technology. There is also potential loss of face with their peers, loss of credibility with their family - all in all no wonder they have strong motivation to remain on their chosen path, even if in private they may be quietly craving for the new technology. 

The real question though is: are you in the audio hobby for the music or for the gear? There is no right or wrong answer to this - it is just about being honest with yourself. 

Stereotyping the potential Kii THREE users as the rich end of the earbud brigade is like burying your head in the sand. These speakers can do what most of us have been dreaming of for years. Go to the presentation and see for yourself.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2017 at 5:16 PM, Misterioso said:

That's certainly not the target group for the Kii speakers. Why should someone from the "DSPee what?" brigade even consider the KiiTHREE? These are high end speakers in about every aspect. Cheers to Warwick for making them available down under!

Why denigrate the bulk of the market which is not 'audiophile'.   We need to get our heads out of the sand.  You don't have to be 'audiophile' to enjoy good sound.  You don't have to be a tweaky audiophile to buy and appreciate a Kii.  Why would anyone want to restrict their product to a niche audiophile market?   I think audio needs to be sold to a broader non-audiophile market, which wants plug and play; or retailers to set it up for clients to play.   Every audio vendor must have products they can sell to the 'earbud' market or go broke.  Why would anyone think the Kii speakers are too good for the general market?

6 minutes ago, generichs said:

wants plug and play

I agree with everything you've said

.... however you seem to think that the reason the amplifiers are placed inside the speaker is to do with convenience and plug-and-play.     This is not the case, in this case.

10 minutes ago, generichs said:

Why would anyone think the Kii speakers are too good for the general market?

I don't  ... but a fair assumption would be because they're ~$20,000 and the general earbud market mostly want to spend 1% of this.

... and because they're a very very advanced loudspeaker.

Guest Misterioso
27 minutes ago, generichs said:

You don't have to be a tweaky audiophile to buy and appreciate a Kii. 

Of course not. However, if you are neither an audiophile nor a music professional, chances are high that 1) you will never encounter the Kii and 2) you would find their price tag insulting. 

Edited by Misterioso

19 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I don't  ... but a fair assumption would be because they're ~$20,000 and the general earbud market mostly want to spend 1% of this.

... and because they're a very very advanced loudspeaker.

I don't give a rat's about technology and neither do most buyers.  Just because someone buys a megabuck product does not make them an audiophile.   There are many who buy $20k systems who are not audiophiles and buy because they simply have the money to buy into that level of sound, which they want to hook up their Sonos, or whatever, to.

The point of this post is to promote a product.  My point was that the product is open to all segments of the market who can afford it.  There are people with earbuds who can afford the product.  Let's not narrow the segment of the market applying to highend audio.

Edited by generichs

Guest Misterioso

Thanks to Warwick and Rom for hosting the KiiThree launch tonight! These are very impressive speakers. They produce an excellent bass that is simply astonishing given their size. The speakers were actually much smaller than I expected. Music was played from an Antipodes Edge renderer and a Kuzma Stabi S turntable with Kuzma cartridge via RCM phono stage. As always, Warwick selected some great music for the presentation. Any doubts that the sound of the analog front end would suffer from going through the speaker's DSP were quickly dissolved. I found the system sounded best when records were played (but this may be just my personal bias showing). The new Kii Control was used to send volume control signals to the speakers' buiit-in DAC. I attach a picture from tonight's system.

KiiThreeLaunch.jpg

Edited by Misterioso
Autocorrect

Great demo! I loved these speakers. I actually found the digital a little better for my taste: I had the "good chair" in the sweet spot when a track from Yello's Touch was played and the depth and sense of scale were really incredible. That deep bass is really so enjoyable! The vinyl was also great but seemed a tiny bit smaller to me though I was apparently the only person who felt this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, digital had the Edge, so no wonder it sounded fantastic.

The other day when I visited their showroom, Warwick and Rom were comparing analog and digital versions of a Muddy Waters recorging (I think they have the best job in the world!). I was surprised how similar both versions sounded. I doubt if I could tell them apart in a blind test.

What at first attracts to these speakers is their totally linear frequency response throuhgout the entire audible range, and no doubt impressive it is. But in my view the more striking characteristic is equally linear phase response, resulting in very vivid and life-like imaging. Combine that with a relative ease of placement and it becomes clear why they are praised so high in all the reviews.

What suffers though is the "tweakability": NOS DACs, active crossovers, monoblock amps - all that becomes irrelevant with these speakers, and that's not to everyone's liking.

• 5 weeks later...