Jump to content

JSmith

A general power cable discussion

Recommended Posts

If Mr Nordost is reading this, I'd love to be part of any cable testing programs that they have. Where can I apply?

 

My system is sounding best it has ever been, partly due to some Nordost power cables but also due to various other tweaks that I've done. Don't really feel the need to upgrade anything at the moment because it sounds so good...Just enjoying the music...

 

If you are in Melb East @JSmith you can hear my system for yourself.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ray4410   

 yes have been o n the bandwagon of interconnects +power +speaker cables for many years spent big dollars on them, I now listen to my own home made cables which cost a fraction of the cost of these overly priced commercial  cables and believe it or not I appreciate my system more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JSmith   
1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

If you are in Melb East @JSmith you can hear my system for yourself.

 

Thank you for the invitation, however I am not in VIC. If I come down that way I may just take you up on this.

 

Did you miss the enquiry regarding any affiliation?

 

My main point of starting this thread is not to give a soapbox for brand dropping, but a genuine opportunity to finally nail this down with some proper correlating evidence.

 

Do you possibly have anything to add to my initial proposed testing process?

 

 

JSmith :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JSmith said:

My main point of starting this thread is not to give a soapbox for brand dropping, but a genuine opportunity to finally nail this down with some proper correlating evidence.

 

Do you possibly have anything to add to my initial proposed testing process?

 

 

 

No have nothing to add, all my testing and measurements have been by my ears. The Audio Principe, KLEI and Nordost power cables that I've tried have all made significant audible changes to my system. When you have a highly resolving system and listen to 24/192 HD files it's dead easy to hear the changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JSmith   
14 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

24/192 HD files

 

That a conundrum in itself... but maybe best left to the other thread about 24/192 files.

 

It's great to hear you have had positive experiences, but as mentioned I'm seeking reasons and evidence as to why this occurs sometimes.

 

JSmith :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nigel   
21 hours ago, JSmith said:

 

My main point of starting this thread is not to give a soapbox for brand dropping, but a genuine opportunity to finally nail this down with some proper correlating evidence.

 

 

  The first and last paragraphs of the 1st post on page 2 of this thread sums it in a nutshell.  Everything else is irrelevant. (including my useless posts)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JSmith   
41 minutes ago, Nigel said:

 

  The first and last paragraphs of the 1st post on page 2 of this thread sums it in a nutshell.  Everything else is irrelevant. (including my useless posts)

 

You mean Zaph's post?

 

Sure, was some good info there... but it certainly doesn't "solve" the power cable issue once and for all. :)

 

JSmith :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nigel   

Oh sorry. What is the issue ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JSmith   
16 minutes ago, Nigel said:

What is the issue

 

Um, try reading the thread... ;)

 

JSmith :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLXXX   
On 3/1/2017 at 4:34 PM, agisthos said:

Of course in the cable world you have nuts who want to rub magic oil on the walls and think it sounds better. But everyone knows they are crazy.

Not everyone. Not by any means!

A sufficient test (some would argue the only meaningful test) would be to rub the oil on the walls and listen. If the sound is then improved for Listener A, then for Listener A the oil works. End of story.  Measurements are quite unnecessary. And blind testing of Listener A certainly unnecessary.

I note that this is the standard of proof that is usually provided in audiophile forum debates about after-market power cables. What matters is how the power cable sounds. [Not whether there is any measured, or measurable, effect on the sound entering the listener's ears.]
 

I'd like to see discussion on reasons and evidence as to how a power cable can affect a system sometimes and what that cable needs to be able to do to achieve this or whether it is also related to specific types of power supplies, shielding etc.


@JSmith I think your expectations in starting this thread were lofty. However for mainstream circumstances of using after-market power cords, the reasons and evidence you sought will remain elusive. The only evidence that will be forthcoming will be reports of people using their own ears.
 

This is an interesting read... quite balanced;

 

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/technical-papers/myths-and-snake-oil

 

JSmith :ninja:

Although much of what is stated seems pretty reasonable to me, I did find this bald claim rather odd:

 

Empirical testing has shown that standard shielded 14 gauge stranded power cord sounds less dynamic than unshielded 14 gauge stranded cord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
andyr   
On 9/12/2017 at 3:43 PM, MLXXX said:

Although much of what is stated seems pretty reasonable to me, I did find this bald claim rather odd:

 

Empirical testing has shown that standard shielded 14 gauge stranded power cord sounds less dynamic than unshielded 14 gauge stranded cord.

 

It doesn't seem odd to me - the shielded power cable will have capacitance (that the unshielded cable doesn't have).  This capacitance affects the delivery of power down the cable (don't ask me how, though).

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLXXX   
1 hour ago, andyr said:

 

It doesn't seem odd to me - the shielded power cable will have capacitance (that the unshielded cable doesn't have).  This capacitance affects the delivery of power down the cable (don't ask me how, though).

 

Andy

 

Well I do have a bit of background in electrical engineering matters and it strikes me as likely to have an extremely small effect; a bit like applying an elastic band (the thin variety you can buy at a newsagents) to a small section of a garden hose and observing that the flow of water has been reduced. You'd need extremely sensitive equipment to detect a reduction in water flow and as for actually seeing an effect with your naked eye, you'd really be battling. Then there'd be the question of how water pressure from the water mains varied during the day.

 

I can't help thinking about the change in the no load voltage at a wall power point which where I live which can vary from roughly 235V to 248V depending on the time of day, and can drop a volt or so when the electric oven is turned on.  The changes in voltage are distinctly measurable differences. However using my ears I'm never conscious of any effect on the audio coming from my hi-fi system. I never operate the amplifier at such high volume levels that it is at risk of running out of electrical power.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lance B   
On 2/25/2017 at 3:14 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

 

I suspect that I am one of the few people who has had the pleasure of speaking, at great length, with Ken Ishiwata. I used to speak with him back in the 1970s when I was service manager at Marantz. I renewed our acquaintance in the late 1980s over a meal. He technically savvy and the words above are likely not his own. Ken understands and appreciates what is important in audio. And that is measurements and technical specifications. 

Were you service manager at Marantz in the early 80's, say around 1983 at Chard Rd, Brookvale? I took my Marantz CD73 there a few times when new to fix drop outs and met a few of the repair staff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lance B said:

Were you service manager at Marantz in the early 80's, say around 1983 at Chard Rd, Brookvale? I took my Marantz CD73 there a few times when new to fix drop outs and met a few of the repair staff. 

I left in 1980. You would have met Peter Lengel. He took over my job when I left for greener pastures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lance B   
19 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I left in 1980. You would have met Peter Lengel. He took over my job when I left for greener pastures.

Aha. Thanks for your reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nigel   
On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:43 PM, MLXXX said:

A sufficient test (some would argue the only meaningful test) would be to rub the oil on the walls and listen. If the sound is then improved for Listener A, then for Listener A the oil works. End of story.  Measurements are quite unnecessary. And blind testing of Listener A certainly unnecessary.

  Quite right MLXXX,  someone like ListenerA can't be helped. Probably doesn't want to learn anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×