Which Amp for my Yamaha speakers?

JPete9

Has anyone got any experience or thoughts on Tubes with NS1000X? Currently i use CA-1000. Its really nice match to my NS690, but i feel it doesnt have the 'finesse' that the NS1000X could use.

I was considering the Sony TAA1ES SS Integrated...but i want something better/different/capable of showing off what these speakers can do.

I am interested in trying a tube amp, but i am not all that interested in learning and trying loads of different tubes. I am only interested in getting these speakers to stretch their legs a little. I dont play them at ear bleeding levels. I like it loud, without being over the top.

Whats the recommendation. High quality modern SS integrated or valve?

I am hoping to spend 1500-2000

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Hello JPete,

Good choice of speakers mate, they will tell you exactly what the personality of your amp is. They will also drive you nuts if incorrectly matched and will work with amps worth many times their value.

i ran them with Cary 805s which worked fabulously well but for my ear I prefer them with 18 Watts of Audion Silver Night PSE amps. Size of room and volume level come into play with the lower powered amps.  Both are past your budget how-ever.

An easy solution, guaranteed to work and with a sound that straddles the middle ground is the Yamaha B2. V-fets are special, they have a unique SS sound, 100Watts, funky meters....... Don't let the rarity and stories of failure put you off, 1.8K will score you a fully rebuilt, totally reliable unit that will rock hard for many a year. It will slot in perfectly in your full Yamaha system.

Conversely, has someone tried the Consonance amplifiers in front of these speakers? Pretty sure that Tony M had success using very affordable MaDing amps of 70 Watts in front of the NS1000s.  Also Audio Space has to be worth thinking about. Must be some Melbourne enthusiasts willing to bring around some tubes to try. Organize a GTG and invite some valve amp owners.

On 24/02/2017 at 2:49 PM, JPete9 said:

Anyone got any experience running these amps on NS1000X?

Yeah I had a pair, anything from 20w tube to 200w solid state brutes will sound good. Stayway from amps with highlighted, detailed upper-mids/treble though, they could get too hot.

There is the perfect s/h amps here for them, if you have the funds, just the monoblocks would be magnificent on them. He hasn't sold them yet, make an offer. 25w pure class-a doubling down to 200w into 1ohm

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/118769-fs-mark-levinson-ml-2s-and-ml-6s/#comment-1793916

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

1 hour ago, georgehifi said:

There is the perfect s/h amps here for them, if you have the funds, just the monoblocks would be magnificent on them. He hasn't sold them yet, make an offer. 25w pure class-a doubling down to 200w into 1ohm

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/118769-fs-mark-levinson-ml-2s-and-ml-6s/#comment-1793916

Cheers George

Are you sure about that? The thread is locked, and has a red 'sold' tag in the classified page. I'd love to hear them, I have long lusted after a pair.

Regards,

Phil

4 hours ago, tygersmoke said:

Are you sure about that? The thread is locked, and has a red 'sold' tag in the classified page. I'd love to hear them, I have long lusted after a pair.

Regards,

Phil

Bummer if it is, they were the perfect amp for them. When I look at it it  This topic is now closed to further replies, not sold, maybe he got the s***s with all the posts and no sale, waiting for a PM instead.

Cheers George

No, I think they're gorn. Here's a screenshot of the ad as listed in the classified with the sold tag. I had planned to contact him over a week ago but didn't bother once I saw that. Strange that it doesn't show on the actual ad though......

Clipboard01.jpg.3d9b4a9552a31c65d2fcf15b4e781dfe.jpg

I have the NS 1000 in DIY ported cabinets and have had several pairs of standard NS1000 in the past. The more readily obtainable and affordable amps likely to be found used in gumtree and on SNA classified that worked for me:

* KT 88 based 50W tube amps (third pic below), integrated or power amp versions with or with out a tube preamp. There are enough affordable Chinese made amps maybe around $700-1500

* Yamaha P2200 (first pic below) professional music industry vintage circa 1977 200W power amp work well and are very common workhorses in PA circles for around $300-500 but work well in home stereo as well. They have volume controls but better thru a tube preamp

* Less readily obtainable but after trying numerous older SS amps such as Krell KSA 50s (second pic below) 50W Class A for around $1000-1500, I found one that I'm very happy with on NS1000 and other speakers - Goldmund SS copy amp from China 200W. Unlike many SS amps that sound quite bland, lack imaging, musicality and sweetness, the Goldmund copy (fourth pic below) seems to have it all without the tube practical disadvantages of heat, maintenance and some lack of drive, yet extremely detailed. I got this ordered and built from a Chinese Alibaba website delivered for about $700. 

20w SS amps havnt worked so well for me except at moderate volumes. Others that just didn't have the detail match included Accuphase 303x and P20, several Vintage Luxman integrateds, Audiolab 8000A integrated, Bryson 3B power amp, NAD 3020, numerous crap AV amps and receivers.

Its not ideal but you try and connect the Yamaha CA 1000 integrated amp to a reasonable tube preamp via one of the inputs or bipass it and it can clean up the sound with more sweetness and detail.

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 2

Guest jakeyb77

Go brutal SS with lots of power in reserve. As @Hugh Barnes said they will reveal a lot so you're either gonna love it or hate it. Try an ME combo or at least 40W if going valve. But they are screaming for a B-2. Sublime bass and amazing top end. 

The Yamaha NS 1000 remains one of the most accurate and technologically advanced speakers ever made.

They will eat inferior amps for breakfast. If it was me I would go Big KT 120 all the way like the top of the line Decware or similar.

Agree with AI.M  on his looser list as I have owned or auditioned all of them. Aside from The Yam 2200 (owned 2, 1 restored by pro harmonic Adelaide who services many pro studos) where I prefer the Yam P2350 that to me sounds more musically alive.  I would try auditioning a SH Gryphon or a big ME as well. Never heard the early Levinsons but the early 50 watt class A Krells sure rocked.

There are exciting things happening in  China if you know where to look.

We will see if they hold up under the test of time.

Edited by Boris Karlof
incomplete reply, spelling
  • Like 1

Thanks - so much to research now and keep my eye out :)

How much better really will another 2000 amp be? its the last few 10ths of a percent, or will really be twice as good?

Where the indecisive emoticon :)

Edited by JPete9

On 02/03/2017 at 8:47 PM, JPete9 said:

Thanks - so much to research now and keep my eye out :)

How much better really will another $2000 amp be? its the last few 10ths of a percent, or will really be twice as good?

Anyone?

Edited by JPete9

Anyone?

Thats a real "how long is a piece of string" question. $1k judiciously spent can yield far better results than $2k just thrown against the wall in hope. BUT $2k well spent will give notable improvement.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have decided to try either a tube buffer or a mcchanson or maybe even a china (depending on what i can find widely reviewed) around the 1k mark.

I would really like to try a weston, but really need to spend a lot more. So i'll give it a try and see where it goes before spending up on big dollar experiments.

Anyone got anything interesting in my range they're will to loan or sell...let me know :)

Guest jakeyb77

Try some tubes first mate. Maybe a tube pre will add something, maybe not. The pre amp sections in your Yamaha's are pretty great. Maybe try a tube integrated. As said those speakers suck the tubes dry so don't skimp on the power. You could always suggest a GTG and some people could bring some options. 

20 hours ago, Jakeyb77 said:

Does @hellzigha still have the Consonance Monos? Great option. 

Thanks jake. If you are referring to the M800, they were sold to a friend locally. 

Unfortunately, I never got to try them with the NS 1000, as I acquired them later. They might have been able to drive the yammies in ultralinear mode. 

But overall, I have to agree with Jake, more power is better.

They sounded best with my Yamaha AS 3000( 120 w/channel). And terrible with the 28 watt single ended class A ( understandably). 

Thomo ( SNA member) had tried my ns1000 in his system with his big ushers amps  and maybe his valve amps too. You could get his opinion.  

Good  luck mate in your hunt. 

• 1 month later...

I still havent done anything. But after a long listen last night i am going to. 

Most of my playback is digital and i'm using my laptop - its so convenient! but probably not getting the best out of my system with it. Not sure that adding tubes or anything else is the best next step.

My plan of attack is;

1. add a dedicated network player of some description that i can remote control from my laptop. (either something stand alone like Yamaha RN602 or something i can add a source to my existing amps?)

2. Depending on how step 1 goes then upgrade one of my amps to something like the Sony TAA1ES or Yamaha AS1100.

Any one got any suggestion on which path to follow?

• 3 months later...

Going round and round a little, but I've decided to try valves. One of Earle's Troubadour or Topaz amps OR a McChanson.

McChanson might be slightly more bang for buck? but doesnt look as nice (i know it shouldnt matter) and he is in NSW and Earle is in Vic, which obviously makes him a better bloke?

From the research i have done (its not easy to learn about valves from reading only) i need a push pull arrangement with 30w Class A being pretty much ideal. (my 15w integrated class A is plenty).

I will pull the trigger this week, while the wife is still ok with it...any suggestions on which models to go for or steer clear of?

I like your idea Jake, but i have a 2 person seating position - it would get cosy quick !

Edited by JPete9