GIESELER KONVERTER (DAC/Preamp) Official release.

Gieseler Audio

11 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

So Edel DAC 

You could sing....

EdelDac....EdelDac....every morning you greet me...

Nos & clear...pleasing to the ear...you look happy to see me...

Though copy write may be a problem,,, 

• Like 2

On 3/24/2017 at 5:29 PM, JohnL said:

German Rivers??.............

Rhine

Danube

Moselle

Elbe

Wesser

Oder

You could have a Klein........... and a Rhine!!!!!

Call it "Moselle", and you'd need a cardboard chassis...

• Like 1

On 2017-3-24 at 2:15 AM, matth said:

Sorry Bill, but this is exactly how I see MQA.

Many very knowledgeable people do, including Ted Smith who invented the Direct stream DAC.  Its a perfectly valid responce.

But please don't make up your mind until I get my little Explorer 2 to people like Clay, and see what they think.

Just waiting for:

1,  Until I get my Macbook and install Audirvna 3.

2.   Mike finishes the high quality audio cable that really lifts the performance of that DAC.

The truth will out - in time.

I had a bit of a discussion with Ted Smith about this and got me onto an interesting piece of software I have been fooling around with:

https://www.xivero.com/shop/xifeo/

Interesting results - for example take 2xDSD which is considered pretty good high res - you can get some from here:

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Convert it to DXD, run it through the software, first at DXD to get the maximum frequency.and use it to find the maximum frequency of actual music.  I ran Jan Gunnar Hoff - LIVING through it and its maximum frequency was a bit below 30k.  Then convert it to the the sampling rate that contains the maximum frequency - I chose 176khz to be really safe and counted on the compression algorithm to take care of redundancy.  Then run it through Optimfrog lossless compression which is a lot more efficient than FLAC - its amazing how small a file you get - it went from 375mb to 55mb (flac was 75mb).   That's about the same as MQA.  Interestingly at 88khz sampling it was  53.3  (Flac was 71mb) so the sampling frequency when you remove frequencies above actual content doesn't seem to make much difference.  You could probably do it at DXD - it wouldn't really matter.

So whats the bottom line other than being something interesting to do - yes - MQA is quite likely some marketing cynicism rather than an actual advance - drats - still  it does sound better.

Thanks

Bill  

Edited by bhobba

1 minute ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Struggling to understand this bit ...

Simpy that they confirm MQA does sound better.  I think it does, Mike thinks it does, but the more the merrier I say.

What  the whole post above was saying is there are many ways to skin a cat, MQA is not the only way to drastically reduce the size of Hi-Rez files.  But it is being pushed hard by companies like meridian with a lot of commercial clout.

But can we take discussion of this to elsewhere than this thread which isn't really about MQA.

Don't worry Clay is well aware of it and will ensure he Konverter keeps up with the latest trends once it has greater market penetration - its very early MQA days yet and you can already feed it from Tidal anyway - Clays DAC sounds great that way,

Thanks

Bill

• Volunteer
Just now, bhobba said:

Simpy that they confirm MQA does sound better.  I think it does, Mike thinks it does, but the more the merrier I say.

What  the whole post above was saying is there are many ways to skin a cat, MQA is not the only way to drastically reduce the size of Hi-Rez files.  But it is being pushed hard by companies like meridian with a lot of commercial clout.

But can we take discussion of this to elsewhere than this thread which isn't really about MQA.

Don't worry Clay is well aware of it and will ensure he Konverter keeps up with the latest trends once it has greater market penetration - its very early MQA days yet and you can already feed it from Tidal anyway - Clays DAC sounds great that way,

Thanks

Bill

so you are suggesting that before @matth makes up his own mind he should wait until you get your Explorer thingie to Clay so that you and Clay and Mike can decide for him?

I'm sure that's not what you meant, but that's how it sounded.

Just now, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I'm sure that's not what you meant, but that's how it sounded.

Of course not.

He should make up his own mind - but the more people that confirm by direct litening it does sound better obviously it will help in deciding - is this just commercial BS or not.

I now think its commercial BS in the sense its a breakthrough -  it can be achieved in other ways -  but it does sound better.

Thanks

Bill

@bhobba

Bill,

it does not matter for me if MQA sounds better than Redbook.

I made up my mind: MQA is per se UNRIGHTEOUS, so I do not want to support it in any way.

BTW, I do not want to buy a Gieseler DAC with a MQA hardware solution implemented.

Period.

Matt

Edited by matth
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest scumbag
Just now, ~Spyne~ said:

Word on the street is that the first units are very, VERY close to being released into the wild...

Who's going to get theirs first? Time will tell :):)

If I were a betting man............................

Guest scumbag
7 minutes ago, ~Spyne~ said:

58fd876dbbd7b_20170424_150159(Custom).jpg.b837540a6a113f140b847c3eabe846a7.jpg

Show off.

Though I did have SN0001 of Clay's PSU so I know what it feels to be a member of an exclusive and very cool club. :P

Guest scumbag
11 minutes ago, Wiffle said:

I definitely don't have any 0001s, but my klein DAC is no 69... emoji3.png

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Wink wink. Say no more.

Just in case anyone missed it.

An interesting article as to why Linn Audio picked the AK4497EQ chip for their new Klimax DS network music players.

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/featured/audiomarketvoices/linn/interview/?link_id=link972

The Klimax sells for 15,800 pounds in the UK.

The Konverter uses the same DAC chip.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 3

Actually I will be doing a DAC only version soon. It will look similar to the Konverter - same height but 250 mm wide.

Tech wise it will be a step up from a Klein II as it will be based on the Konverter ( Balanced out, Jensen transformers, OLED Display, AK4497EQ ect) 

Also the power supply section will be using the new ultra low noise linear Technology regulators.

Projected price around 2K 

• Like 7