GIESELER KONVERTER (DAC/Preamp) Official release.

Gieseler Audio

I have no history of hearing it, but I liked the idea of matching it to a Holton Amp (
HPA-NXV500L). A Qld / Tas partnership with simple elegant design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you should mention that; I've got a Holton NXV500 on order, and although I'm currently running a Klein DAC, I'll definitely be adding a Konvertor to the shopping list in the not-too-distant future! I reckon either way it's going to kick butt! [emoji38]
PS Hi Clay and Anthony; reckon you guys should have a chat, as you appear to have similar attention to detail!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Anthony,

nice to hear from you - heard great things about your power amplifiers.

Konverter - price is $4000 which includes delivery Australia wide. I was originally aiming for a lower price but ended up

specking this out to the max so that bumped the price up. The final version has upgraded PSU & digital boards plus an improved layout so the interboard wiring is shorter & neater.

Hi Clay

Well done mate, always good to see some well made and conceived Aussie innovation. I really like that you added balanced outputs to your new DAC/Preamp it should match well with my power amplifiers.

I hope to get the chance to listen to your new DAC/Preamp on day.

All the best I think you will do well with this one.

• Like 2

Can I please ask about the remote?
Your opening post states it does all but mains on/off. Can it put the unit into standby? Is a 12v trigger possible to implement?
Thank you very much.
Dan

Sent from my JAZZ using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply.

Would it be possible to implement standby via a remote? Even if this was a custom add on or mkII.

Yep 12v in and out could be useful for many considering it can do ht bypass. 

I am pretty interested in this but my current DAC also requires manual on/off and though it's a pretty small inconvenience it would be a nice feature to have 

Thank you

• Like 1

Dan I could certainly look at that as option. Fortunately due to it's modular construction it is only the PSU board that would need to be altered to add that feature plus a small bit of code. I would need a different switch with red/blue lumination to show standby & on but that should be no problem. A different remote too as I'm currently using all the buttons. OK Ieave it with me & as I get a bit of spare time I'll have a shot at it.

• Like 3

No major rush. I'm still out of the country for a few months but I know for myself it would be a great addition.
Looking forward to hearing it when I'm back.

Sent from my JAZZ using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Dan I could certainly look at that as option. Fortunately due to it's modular construction it is only the PSU board that would need to be altered to add that feature plus a small bit of code. I would need a different switch with red/blue lumination to show standby & on but that should be no problem. A different remote too as I'm currently using all the buttons. OK Ieave it with me & as I get a bit of spare time I'll have a shot at it.

This would put it back on my radar.

Now you just need to also make it a Roon endpoint :sarc:. That would make it awesome but I'm sure a massive ask.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blybo said:

This would put it back on my radar.

Now you just need to also make it a Roon endpoint :sarc:. That would make it awesome but I'm sure a massive ask.

Hide a little microRendu board in there - power it with the LPS - hole in the back for the ethernet - DONE! :party

• Like 2

On 23/02/2017 at 6:47 PM, bhobba said:

The owner of the MAC is waiting for Audirvana 3.

Audirvana 3 released

That's not going to help much though - the Mac I have access to is not powerful enough to run Audirvana 3.

Looks like I will have to dig into my dwindling funds (Yuk) and get a Mac powerful enouht to do it:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Apple-Macbook-Air-Early-2014-13-Inch-Core-i5-SSD-Laptop-Notebook-Computer-/201726553110?hash=item2ef7d6ec16%3Ag%3Axf0AAOSwo4pYbjvo

One I have that and install Audirvana 3 will lend it to Clay and see what it does with his Dac's and compare it to a Meridian Explorer 2 I have - after I have  mucked around with it of course.  I particularly want to compare it to MQA via the Bridge 2 to Audirvana 3.  But it will be a month or 2 before the Direct Stream Bridge 2 does MQA.  At the moment, the Bridge 2 its not as good as Audirvana (or the Konverter from memory) and a Curios cable but will see with MQA - it should be out for the Bridge 2 in a a month or two.

You guys will have to decide - are you happy with only Clay doing such a comparison and writing it up or is something more independent is also required?   My vote goes to both - but the independent one will take a while to organize, probably at a GTG or something like that.

BTW Clay is a VERY upfront sort of guy - if something is better than his product he will say so.  But I know that simply because I have known Clay for yonks - others likely will not know Clay that well.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 2

According to the thread on CA forum Audirvana 3.0 seems to be VERY good and the upcoming Audirvana 3.1 will enable streaming to microrendu etc..

There are reports that Audirvana sounds even better than Roon and Roon is VERY expensive.

These devices are on my short list for digital setup:

*Macbook Pro

*Audirvana 3.x.x

*Clays upcoming USB only/DAC only with the technique from the Konverter

BTW, some interesting thoughts about MQA:

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/questions-answers-mqa-interview-andreas-koch/

Matt

Edited by matth
  • Like 2

On 2017-3-18 at 3:06 AM, matth said:

According to the thread on CA forum Audirvana 3.0 seems to be VERY good and the upcoming Audirvana 3.1 will enable streaming to microrendu etc..

BTW, some interesting thoughts about MQA:

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/questions-answers-mqa-interview-andreas-koch/

Good to know about 3.1 as that's how I use my Direct Stream - via the Bridge 2.   Hopefully it will support the Bridge 2.

Regarding MQA some people are just so cynical.  The article is true - as far as it goes.  Yes it can be seen as a cynical exercise to get more royalties.  But it doesn't give all the technical facts:

1.  Its very easy for services like Tidal to incorporate.

2.  Its not lossless, but only lossy in inaudible ways I will list:

The last 8 bits that store the compressed 22-44khz info are below the noise floor of virtually all recordings, random sounds below that are of not of much concern even if nothing was done. But something is done.  What you do is from the 24 bits you subtract the compressed data from last 8 bits, chop it off then put in the 8 bits you subtracted.  This is a form of subtractive dither and increases bit depth to above 16 bits - see the graphs below - notice how it lies about 2/3 of the way between 16 and 24 bits.

9-hd.png

Notice the following.  The theoretical noise is always within about 10db of the thermal noise limit that its impossible to go below and WAY below the noise of an actual implementation such as the Explorer 2.

3.  It interpolates to go from 44k to 88k, 176k or beyond.   But since this is mostly noise who really cares - that is of course very lossy but since its mostly noise it represents just some more noise added in. But that high in frequency the noise added in is WAY below the thermal noise limit.  So why do it?  Because it reduces impulse response time which it is claimed to be audible.

It's a practical solution to the problem of streaming hi res within our current infrastructure.

Thanks

Bill 

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

I'm rather excited at the moment as I have just finished populating the brand new digital front end PCB for the Konverter.

If you look closely you can see some of the ultra low noise Linear Technology LT3045  regulators. 0.8uV RMS (10Hz to 100kHz)

I'm just filling a couple of orders & have been waiting on the new PSU & digital boards which arrived this week.IMG_0857.thumb.JPG.060da0478ba8541cd83abb87278b6ed5.JPGIMG_0852.thumb.JPG.ee33059b8d4a29e76b3ae563f5710832.JPG

• Like 9

Hi Matt,

probably on the DAC only only I will use a bigger single board that includes the power supply section as well.

It will make for a tidier  build with no wiring needed. With the Konverter it has a massive preamp board so it worked out better to 

seperate the PSU, digital & preamp sections. The new DAC will look exactly the same front on to the konverter but just in a smaller case. Definately a USB only input version too. The digital circuit/design & PSU will be almost identical on the DAC only so lead time will be fairly quick. As soon as I complete my current Konverter orders I will get right on it. Now can you help me come up with a good German name for the new DAC please!

• Like 2

@Gieseler Audio

Hi Clay,

what about GIESELER WANDLER?

Wandler is the german translation of converter.

The Germans say: Digital-Analog-Wandler for DAC.

It would be nice because both your name and the name of the DAC end with LER.

Matt

Edited by matth
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, matth said:

@Gieseler Audio

Hi Clay,

what about GIESELER WANDLER?

Wandler is the german translation of converter.

The Germans say: Digital-Analog-Wandler for DAC.

It would be nice because both your name and the name of the DAC end with LER.

Matt

I'm a wandler, yeah wandler.  I move around around around........

Guest scumbag

How about this. It's smaller that the Klein DAC right? So in German, small = Kleiner.

So you'd have the Klein DAC and it's little brother is the Kleiner DAC? Just a thought!