A random USB cable story

abelb

Just thought I'd share this for anyone who might find it interesting. I work in IT and was tasked with setting up an audio interface for a musician at a media organisation. Installed a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 and we immediately had some glitches. Namely it would require unplugging and reconnecting the USB cable after each boot before the PC would register the interface. Tried several USB cables (including the original), USB 2 and 3 ports, added a new USB controller card, firmware updates, lots of back and forward with Focusrite support to no avail. The musician was happy to live with it, until it started dropping out randomly during record sessions. I was about to return the Focusrite interface when I thought as a last option I would try an audiophile grade USB cable, thinking that if it didn't work I would just keep the cable for myself. I  wanted an audioquest as I've had good experiences with their products in the past but there was no stock of the entry cable so I went with the entry wireworld USB. Installed it and told then musician to report back with how it went. Didn't hear anything for a few days (good sign) but caught him a week later and was told it fixed the drop out issue *and* the startup issue where the cable needed to be reconnected after each boot which I assumed was completely unrelated. Not a typical audio related story but there you have it. Don't underestimate the importance of a quality low impedance USB feed - especially if your device is USB powered.

• Like 3