potatomasher

Long speaker cables or long balanced interconnect?

32 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, walker1000 said:

Given the low output impedence of a power amp and the higher signal levels I would think longer speaker cables would be the best option , no worrys about preamp impedence or cable capacitance ( as long as sensible speaker cables are used). Noise problems are a lot  less to due to the low impedence and higher signal level.

Of course I could be missing something here but this is what I have done with my system , 8m speaker cable run and short interconnects .

Yes and, no. It depends on the impedance of the speakers and the length of the cables. I did a system once (actually, I've done many similar ones) where the speaker cables were 7 Metres and 10 Metres long. Several different speaker cables were trialed. Since the system was bi-amped, I suggested a change to siting a power amp beside each speaker. The speakers were the Infinity RS4.5. These speakers presented a brutal load. We did the change and used very cheap, professional mic cable and shortened the speaker cables to around 500mm. The result was astonishing. HUGE improvement. Of course, that may not be the case with every system. 

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Yes and, no. It depends on the impedance of the speakers and the length of the cables. I did a system once (actually, I've done many similar ones) where the speaker cables were 7 Metres and 10 Metres long. Several different speaker cables were trialed. Since the system was bi-amped, I suggested a change to siting a power amp beside each speaker. The speakers were the Infinity RS4.5. These speakers presented a brutal load. We did the change and used very cheap, professional mic cable and shortened the speaker cables to around 500mm. The result was astonishing. HUGE improvement. Of course, that may not be the case with every system. 

I found a similar thing, about 20 years.  Our then new house had an 8m x 5.1m room that was designed to take my stereo system - although it wasn't a 'man cave'.

Speakers were up one end of the room, gear up the other - so the speaker cables were around 11m (through conduits in the slab).  When I bought my first Maggies, I found my Naim 250s were getting hot, with that length of cables ... a side or two of Pink Floyd would often trigger the amps to shut off, due to the heat protection circuit.

So I decided to change to 11m interconnects instead (low capacitance) and short spkr cables - the amps no longer got hot.  :thumb:

Andy

Edited by andyr

Im also reading with interest but unfortunately do not have the luxury of choice seeing that my amp is integrated. Just completed another system reshuffle  in the room so now the speakers are on one wall with the rest of the gear along the opposite wall so now im going to need new cables asmt current ones aren't long enough (Mogami 3103). Longest run if I neatly follow each wall will be approx 8m so super exotic stuff is out of the question but am wondering if the 12g Mogami is sufficient or whether I need to drop to a lower gauge cables (Canare 4S11 perhaps)

The impedance of my JBL's don't appear to be too brutal but as im running Class D amplification I don't want any funny business going on...

IMG_2462.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 6.54.37 am.png

well the result of this exercise was that I got a couple of 5 metre balanced cables from Jaycar and put the power amp between the speakers and the rest of the stuff in a more convenient location, and it sounds great. 

6 people like this

I recently needed to shift my turntable and phono pre out of reach of sticky little fingers. That resulted in a run of about 13m to my amp. I just picked up some mic cable from Jaycar along with some xlr plugs. A mate soldered them up and job done. Sounds perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 2/23/2017 at 6:56 AM, Tubularbells said:

Im also reading with interest but unfortunately do not have the luxury of choice seeing that my amp is integrated. Just completed another system reshuffle  in the room so now the speakers are on one wall with the rest of the gear along the opposite wall so now im going to need new cables asmt current ones aren't long enough (Mogami 3103). Longest run if I neatly follow each wall will be approx 8m so super exotic stuff is out of the question but am wondering if the 12g Mogami is sufficient or whether I need to drop to a lower gauge cables (Canare 4S11 perhaps)

The impedance of my JBL's don't appear to be too brutal but as im running Class D amplification I don't want any funny business going on...

IMG_2462.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 6.54.37 am.png

ARRGGHH, an LP on the floor.:oops: Talk about near field listening if thats your listening chair.:)

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Wimbo said:

ARRGGHH, an LP on the floor.:oops: Talk about near field listening if thats your listening chair.:)

That LP is my sacrificial offering (i.e. alignment LP when setting up my ultrasonic cleaner) and yes in this current arrangement im only approx 2m from the speakers so very near field but these speakers were designed for this so it sounds pretty good.

1 person likes this