Portable Amplifier / DAC Reccomendations.

Hi All,

I would like some help and direction.

I am after a Portable DAC / Amp for use with an iPhone 4s.

I am quite satisfied with what I am hearing through the iPhone, but I can't help but think an amp might be a nice addition or possibly a DAC is an important missing link for compressed music ?

I am listening to some Budget Hero In ears and Headphones:

(B&W C5 / Soundmagic E10S / KEF M500 / PSB M4U2 / AudioTechnica M50X) - but am always changing - Mostly in favour of In ears.

What I am after needs to be fairly compact, similar to the phone in size and weight.

What direction or products should I be looking at ?

Budget: $200 - Please feel free to let me know if you are unloading something suitable at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance.

KrashDekki.

this would be ideal with the ADL cable out of iPhone 4. Digital out, it has a gain switch so can be used with a more demanding headphones 

read the advertisement you will not find better for the price

Neo

3 hours ago, GregWormald said:

I can't recommend anything at that price.

If you are willing to go higher the Headstage Arrow is a real winner.

Greg

Thanks Greg,

@ $400 USD, My budget just can't.

Edited by KrashDekki

5 minutes ago, Jventer said:

Audioquest Dragonfly?

I like the compact design, But it doesn't amplify, or does it ? It looks like there are a couple of versions.

Is there something Fiio related that suits my needs ?

there seem to be the occasional Andes / Kilimanjaro that come up on eBay for around $150.00 

i would have jumped on these at this price, but i am unsure if these are only suitable for headphones where as I would mostly be using IEM.

1 minute ago, KrashDekki said:

I like the compact design, But it doesn't amplify, or does it ? It looks like there are a couple of versions.

There are a few versions and it does amplify.

Google it, it has many good reviews.

• Like 1

suitabily for different headphones is very good as it got a gain switch 

size wise very portable, iPod size/ little bigger than matchbox 

weight rather light and the aa batteries last close to 400 h

look up the website they are from will give you lots of insight 

for the money you will not find better

IMG_4337.PNG

Edited by Neo

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

The ADL cable takes the digital 30 pin connection and goes 3.5 mm into the tomahawk amp input.

that why this combo will be perfect as I are using iPhone 4

Apologies for probably sounding like a complete idiot.

So essentially instead of using the audio Jack of the iPhone 4 - The DAC is the 30 pin Connector to the amp ? Then from the amp to the Phones'.

6 minutes ago, dolphy said:

Check out the FIIO range, they have a great beginners range, I started with the E17, from memory it was 140 from Addicted to Audio.

Hi Dolphy,

Are the Fiio Amps Headphones or IEM specific ? Or will most Fiio products be suitable for both ?

I have looked on the Addicted to Audio website a few times - But I was shying away thinking I might be able to snag a more higher end Fiio dac / amp (second hand) at the price of the beginning of the Fiio range.

have you had something like the Kilamanjaro ? Would you reccomend that model ?

Thanks KD.

Edited by KrashDekki

6 minutes ago, KrashDekki said:

Apologies for probably sounding like a complete idiot.

So essentially instead of using the audio Jack of the iPhone 4 - The DAC is the 30 pin Connector to the amp ? Then from the amp to the Phones'.

essentially yes, that setup I found ideal rather than go for a third box which will be a dac 

4 minutes ago, KrashDekki said:

Hi Dolphy,

Are the Fiio Amps Headphones or IEM specific ? Or will most Fiio products be suitable for both ?

I have looked on the Addicted to Audio website a few times - But I was shying away thinking I might be able to snag a more higher end Fiio dac / amp at the price of the beginning of the Fiio range.

have you had something like the Kilamanjaro ? Would you reccomend that model ?

Thanks KD.

The E17 worked with both IEM and headphones. I used it with AKG K701 and Shure SE836. It wasn't earthshattering but it was better than using the iphone/ipod directly.

I have the E17 laying around, I can send it to you to play around with. Do you need the 30 pin connector? Just pay for the postage and send it back, if you like it you can get the current version E17K. Happy to help out an audio enthusiast. Be warned you'll want to upgrade.

I ended up getting the Chord Hugo.....

Edited by dolphy
  • Like 1

That's a very Kind offer Dolphy, however I'd rather not waste your time further than the generous opinions you are offering me on this post.

I understand / Guarantee I am not going to get Earthshattering for the money I have on offer - Have you settled on the E17 mentioned or have you moved to on to better ? How much more did you have to spend to eclipse the E17 ? And did it beat it by much ?

Id rather not settle for ok / second best for the sake of $100 ~ more.

KD.

get a portable music player something like an xduoo x10 or shanling m1 can be bought from ebay for around 150 to 230 new

no extra cables no interferance from your phone no itunes ,no flat battery whem you need to make a phone call

Ok Guys,

To clarify all my music is in the iTunes library - with all music being ripped manually from my CD collection. Does this mean it may be compressed ?

Can the Music players be used in conjunction with iTunes ?

Edited by KrashDekki

3 minutes ago, KrashDekki said:

Ok Guys,

To clarify all my music is in the iTunes library - with all music being ripped manually from my CD collection. Does this mean it may be compressed ?

Maybe--it all depends on how you have your iTunes preferences set--both import and export to iPhone.

Greg