Advice on replacing Wharfedale Valdus 700 speakers

Hi everyone,

Long time stalker, first time poster!

Over the weekend, my Wharfedale Valdus 700 floor standing speakers finally gave up the ghost (the speaker tissue on each driver has perished now producing a fluttering sound).

They have served me well; I got them 23 years ago from Eastwood Hifi. I rang Eastwood Hifi over the weekend and asked for advice on new speakers to replace them. They recommend the following:-

• Paradigm Monitor 7
  • Tannoy Mercury

Any other  advice, as I would rather buy a good set of second hand speakers off these forums for around 1k.

Would love your thoughts

Matt

Im using an old Yamaha RX-V800 (also bought 23 years ago with the speakers) and the room is a carpeted 8mtr by 6mtr room.

Im also looking to upgrade the Receiver at the same time, so would also appreciate thoughts on a suitable replacement. 

I am interested in the Yamaha RX-V1081.

Regarding music, I love all types and watch a lot of movies as well.

I do love Jazz, classical, and all sorts of pop - some of my favourite albums include Eva Cassidy Songbird, Miles David Kind of Blue, and Tears for Fears - Tears Roll Down.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Edited by SausageMiester

On ?13?/?02?/?2017 at 3:13 PM, SausageMiester said:

Hi everyone,

Long time stalker, first time poster!

Over the weekend, my Wharfedale Valdus 700 floor standing speakers finally gave up the ghost (the speaker tissue on each driver has perished now producing a fluttering sound).

They have served me well; I got them 23 years ago from Eastwood Hifi. I rang Eastwood Hifi over the weekend and asked for advice on new speakers to replace them. They recommend the following:-

• Paradigm Monitor 7
  • Tannoy Mercury

Any other  advice, as I would rather buy a good set of second hand speakers off these forums for around 1k.

Would love your thoughts

Matt

Matt,

I understand they're old and for all I know you are keen to upgrade to something way newer BUT.........

If you would simply prefer to have them sounding like they used to have you considered the possibility of getting replacement drivers?

Even allowing for their age If you can ascertain the Brand and Model No some further research may still end up being beneficial.

It's possible Wharfedale themselves still have some spares in stock at a reasonable price.

"A busted driver does not necessarily a busted speaker make"!!!!!

Edited by JohnL