WTB: Rotel RMB 1095 power amplifer

bENnyBOi

Thanks JohnL, I am looking for a local RMB 1095 if possible.

$1700 is very overpriced compared to what I have seen the 1095 sell for in the past and I currently have a RMB 1075, however I wanted more power :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/richlands/stereo-systems/rotel-rc-1070-rb-1080-lovely-powerful-close-to-mint-cond/1131695546

Could see if they wanted to sell the amp alone? Not 1090 but 1080 is still more powerful than the 1075. Good luck [emoji4]

Edit: Ah just realised you looking for a 5 channel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, bENnyBOi said:

Thanks JohnL, I am looking for a local RMB 1095 if possible.

$1700 is very overpriced compared to what I have seen the 1095 sell for in the past and I currently have a RMB 1075, however I wanted more power :)

error

Edited by JohnL

1 hour ago, bENnyBOi said:

I am currently biamping 2 channels on the 1075 to each speaker allowing 240watts per speaker.

I would love a Rotel 1090 if one becomes available;

Error was I hadn't read you last post from an hour ago yet!!!!

BTW........Don't get caught up in bi amping.

IME and IMHO.........Unless you do it properly with active crossovers it's just more outlay for very minimal benefit. 

Use the highest quality stereo amp you can for your Mains............then build around that for overall best HT SQ outcome.......just my 2c

In your case I would lose one of the 1075's and get a 1090 if that's what you want.  

Edited by JohnL

Hi John, if I biamp, I get doible the power into the speakers. This offers a hugely noticable difference.

If I have the extra channels and I have 2 binding posts, you would be crazy not to biamp in my opinion, correct me if I am wrong?

If you really feel there is a MAJOR difference and have the right gear for it then don't let me stop you!!!

Although more power isn't everything!!

I'm very confident you would get better sound simply by buying a better amp.

It's not about total wattage being evenly spread out.........

Why are you REALLY looking for another Rotel 1095??..........think about it

Active bi amping is a whole different thing to passive bi amping but if you're happy...........

If you post your complete system you may get some very informative replies worth considering!!!  

Try starting a new Thread if you like..........I/we just want you to know that you have spent wisely and be ecstatic with the outcome.

Edited by JohnL

Hi John,

I feel I have offended you from your tone, and I am sorry if that's the case as it was not my intention;

My system is: Anthem MRX 710 used as a preamp, Rotel RMB 1075 as power amp, and passive bi-amp front CM9 towers.

I definitely notice the difference when giving my speakers 240watts instead of 120 watts; There is better bass, better definition and overall sound and clarity when playing 2 channel music. (Home theatre I didn't notice any difference as it always sounds so good and additionally uses a subwoofer).

My reasons for wanting a Rotel 1095 or 1090 was simply for the added power. If I use the 1095, it allows me to bi-amp and put 400 watts into each speaker.

If you believe a better quality amp with less power will deliver more grunt and better definition/overall sound, then I'd be happy to hear your thoughts and how it achieves this with less power; I'm new to power amps and obviously would love insight.

1 hour ago, bENnyBOi said:
Hi John, if I biamp, I get doible the power into the speakers. This offers a hugely noticable difference.

If I have the extra channels and I have 2 binding posts, you would be crazy not to biamp in my opinion, correct me if I am wrong?

Sorry but my understanding is that biamping doesn't double the power into the speakers. Perhaps someone like @davewantsmoore or @Zaphod Beeblebrox can explain what the implications of biamping are powerwise?

Edited by Hensa

10 minutes ago, Hensa said:

Sorry but my understanding is that biamping doesn't double the power into the speakers. Perhaps someone like @davewantsmoore or @Zaphod Beeblebrox can explain what the implications of biamping are powerwise?

Assuming we are discussing ACTIVE bi-amping (IE: Using an electronic crossover), then such a scheme can increase SPL capabilities far in excess of a doubling in power. The reason lies in the mathematics of complex musical signals. If we are discussing 'passive' bi-amping, then I think it is pretty much a waste of time. That said, the lower the quality of amplifier used, then the more likely that passive bi-amping will make a small difference. Personally, I wouldn't bother. 

If you want to put a number on the advantages of bi-amping (I don't even describe passive bi-amping, as bi-amping), then you could figure on the increased SPLs available as somewhere between 6dB and 10dB. Maybe more, depending on speakers (impedance is the important factor) and amplifiers used.  

34 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Assuming we are discussing ACTIVE bi-amping (IE: Using an electronic crossover), then such a scheme can increase SPL capabilities far in excess of a doubling in power. The reason lies in the mathematics of complex musical signals. If we are discussing 'passive' bi-amping, then I think it is pretty much a waste of time. That said, the lower the quality of amplifier used, then the more likely that passive bi-amping will make a small difference. Personally, I wouldn't bother. 

If you want to put a number on the advantages of bi-amping (I don't even describe passive bi-amping, as bi-amping), then you could figure on the increased SPLs available as somewhere between 6dB and 10dB. Maybe more, depending on speakers (impedance is the important factor) and amplifiers used.  

Thanks for that, Trevor. I believe the OP is talking about passive biamping and it was to this that I was responding about the suggestion of a doubling of power.

Hi Zaphod, if I use 2 separate channels from the power amplifier, could you explain in simple terms why I wouldn't see double the power? (In theory you'd think 2 channels into 1 speaker would give you double the power).

Sounds like the OP is already sold on the benefits of bi-amping in his system given its a WTB thread. Theres no speculation here, having done it already he has noticed an improvement that he values and is happy to pay for, so I'm a bit confused why the thread is getting bogged down in differing opinions and the nitty gritty details?

Isn't the best advice to let people hear it for themselves and then decide, which he has already done??

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Sounds like the OP is already sold on the benefits of bi-amping in his system given its a WTB thread. Theres no speculation here, having done it already he has noticed an improvement that he values and is happy to pay for, so I'm a bit confused why the thread is getting bogged down in differing opinions and the nitty gritty details?

Isn't the best advice to let people hear it for themselves and then decide, which he has already done??

Well 8 minutes before your post, the OP has himself asked for an explanation of the power implications of passive biamping so perhaps the OP is interested in getting a better understanding of the "nitty gritty".

5 minutes ago, Hensa said:

Well 8 minutes before your post, the OP has himself asked for an explanation of the power implications of passive biamping so perhaps the OP is interested in getting a better understanding of the "nitty gritty".

Yeh theres no doubt his own experience has been questioned so further explanation about the nitty gritty is required.

I also think only good will come from this, hell he may even save himself some cash and be eternally grateful to all that have contributed!

1 minute ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Yeh theres no doubt his own experience has been questioned so further explanation about the nitty gritty is required.

I also think only good will come from this, hell he may even save himself some cash and be eternally grateful to all that have contributed!

I certainly haven't questioned his experience at all. I simply questioned his statement that biamping necessarily means he doubles the power when this is just not the case. No harm at all in a little extra knowledge, surely?

1 minute ago, Hensa said:

I certainly haven't questioned his experience at all. I simply questioned his statement that biamping necessarily means he doubles the power when this is just not the case. No harm at all in a little extra knowledge, surely?

I never said you did…. Knowledge is power I agree!

I posted for a new amp, that's correct.

I was asked why I posted for a new amp and I answered.

Zaphod claimed there was little or no point in passive bi amping as the power does not double.

I would like to know more from Zaphod; I want to know why I hear a big difference and why the power isn't being doubled from 2 separate channels going into 1 speaker.

I personally believed that the power was duplicated, I am not an audio engineer, so I could be wrong. This is why I want to learn more about the comments being posted on this thread.

@JohnL If you believe a better quality amp with less power will deliver more grunt and better definition/overall sound, then I'd be happy to hear your thoughts and how it achieves this with less power; I'm new to power amps and obviously would love insight.

@Zaphod Beeblebrox if I use 2 separate channels from the power amplifier, could you explain in simple terms why I wouldn't see double the power? (In theory , you'd think 2 channels into 1 speaker would give double the power).

9 hours ago, bENnyBOi said:

Hi Zaphod, if I use 2 separate channels from the power amplifier, could you explain in simple terms why I wouldn't see double the power? (In theory you'd think 2 channels into 1 speaker would give you double the power).

Let's assume you want to waste time, money and effort, by NOT using an electronic crossover. What happens is this (hang onto your hat, mathematics will be required):

Let's assume a 100 Watt/channel amp is used and 'perfect' 8 Ohms speakers are used.

This means the amplifier will be delivering a maximum of 28.28 Volts RMS to the load. 

OR:

40 Volts peak (80 Volts  peak - peak)

It is the peak Voltage figures that of significance in this discussion. 

It occurs to me that you, perhaps, should read this instead:

http://sound.whsites.net/bi-amp.htm

http://sound.whsites.net/bi-amp2.htm

It explains the process and advantage rather well.

Trust me when I tell you that, by NOT using an electronic crossover, you will NOT gain double the power. At best, the improvement might be something like 5%. BY using an electronic crossover, however, the improvement could range to TEN TIMES! 

[EDIT] To reiterate: Amplifiers which are of poor quality and/or those which employ weedy little power supplies (small power transformers and minimal filter capacitance) may exhibit some modest improvements with passive bi-amping. Amplifiers (like the NAD RMB1095) which employ substantial power supplies are unlikely to demonstrate any significant improvement with passive bi-amping. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox