T-Box sound - free to air vs movies

So, I have a T-Box with updated firmware (firmware was updated a few months ago).

It's connected via HDMI to my Cambridge Audio home theatre receiver.

On free to air programs, I get full 5.1 surround.

On movies I rent through Telstra, I get 2.0 (two channel, and not even any subwoofer output)

I've tried playing with the settings for the T-Box - audio is set to always HDMI out.

Movies through other sources such as Netflix play fine.

Any ideas what is going on?

I remember trying to get this to work ages ago with a receiver but I think it's just broken via HDMI. It might work via the optical output but not sure. I went 2 channel so no need now. It's superseded anyway so they probably won't fix it. The Bigpond movie software is all new but it has no audio settings. I would bet the 5.1 you are getting is probably just 2 channel split to dolby as I don't think there is much if any multi channel FTA content.

T-Box is a great device but will be RIP soon.

• Like 1

While initial internet search results showed nothing conclusive, continued search results advise Big Pond Movies through T-Box, even the HD ones, are PCM stereo only.

Good bye T-Box movies, hello iTunes movies.

Even iTunes SD movies are in full 5.1 and they're the same price as T-Box movies.

On 10/02/2017 at 8:50 PM, Winno said:

While initial internet search results showed nothing conclusive, continued search results advise Big Pond Movies through T-Box, even the HD ones, are PCM stereo only.

Good bye T-Box movies, hello iTunes movies.

Even iTunes SD movies are in full 5.1 and they're the same price as T-Box movies.

Netflix? Rent  2 movies a month and it is the same as a HD subscription.  Absolutely shitloads of movies, including some really good Netflix original ones.