Recommendations - Bass, clear deep bass

koputai

Folks, I'm after some recommendations for tracks with excellent, clear, musical bass.

I want to really suss my low end. I've always disliked (Daz doesn't like it when I say hate) subwoofers, but my current mains just can't get down very low. I tried to get it going with one sub, nothing worked. I'm now using two subs, left and right, fed with left and right signals.

I dislike to say it, but I think this setup actually works, and actually sounds good. Me..... Subs...... Whoodathunkit.

Now I'm after music, not doof doof mega bass whatever, I'm after real music with real bass.

I'm thinking probably organ pieces?

Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Jason.

Saint Saens -  Symphony No.3 in C minor Op.78

Bjork - Hyperballad

Car of the century - The journey begins . This is a CD my mate bought for testing car audio systems which has a number of tracks designed to test different attributes of a system. The first track "The journey begins" has an excellent plunging synth bass. It is a little hard to find this CD though.

Yeah, not all organ but thats what I got.

Edited by crisis
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, koputai said:

Folks, I'm after some recommendations for tracks with excellent, clear, musical bass.

I want to really suss my low end. I've always disliked (Daz doesn't like it when I say hate) subwoofers, but my current mains just can't get down very low. I tried to get it going with one sub, nothing worked. I'm now using two subs, left and right, fed with left and right signals.

I dislike to say it, but I think this setup actually works, and actually sounds good. Me..... Subs...... Whoodathunkit.

Now I'm after music, not doof doof mega bass whatever, I'm after real music with real bass.

I'm thinking probably organ pieces?

Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Jason.

Not sure what you're going to achieve?  Surely you have to hear those same tracks on someone else's system who does have good base to 20hz, to be able to judge yours?

Andy

Just about any Nitin Sawhney album will give your system a bottom end workout. Displacing the Priest would be the first cab off the rank with him. Also get hold of Terry Callier's album Timepeace, the grey cover version. Standout track for bottom end excursion, and musically too, being Lazarus Man.

15 hours ago, kelossus said:

Bela Fleck - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, give it a chance and listen to the whole song.

Wow! That's a cool bit of music. Listening to the whole album now, so far, so good.

Thanks for the recommendation Chris.

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, koputai said:

Wow! That's a cool bit of music. Listening to the whole album now, so far, so good.

Thanks for the recommendation Chris.

Cheers,

Jason.

If you are digging their music I would suggest their first self titled album. It, in my opinion is their best. The tracks, "Sunset Road" and "The Sinister Minister" are great.

Edited by kelossus

Maxwell - Embrya 

Not really my type of music, but I still enjoy listening to it because of the tight low bass. Talk about hearing the bass strings vibrating! I use it as a reference recording to test components. 

• Like 1

Can I suggest Deleriums Semantic Spaces. 

This is is an older older album of theirs while electronic it is not doof doof, electronic music with female vocalist and either world music samples, choirs, percussion. 

Delerium al bums are well recorded , never bloated or overly compressed. 

Strongly reccomended. 

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 1

On 18/02/2017 at 7:59 PM, cafe67 said:

Can I suggest Deleriums Semantic Spaces. 

This is is an older older album of theirs while electronic it is not doof doof, electronic music with female vocalist and either world music samples, choirs, percussion. 

Delerium al bums are well recorded , never bloated or overly compressed. 

Strongly reccomended. 

This was a favourite at the time for my old boss whom owned a music shop that I worked in back in the mid to late 90's....very Enigma like from memory. Haven't seen this cover for quite a few years. Would love to hear it on wax :)

1 hour ago, Jebediah said:

This was a favourite at the time for my old boss whom owned a music shop that I worked in back in the mid to late 90's....very Enigma like from memory. Haven't seen this cover for quite a few years. Would love to hear it on wax :)

Better the enigma , similar to deep Forrest but a harder edge and vocals 

• Like 1

Not for the faint hearted! Avant garde and abstract yet strangely addictive!

http://www.pulsewidth.com/ourobouros.html

< ourobouros - music for feedbacking audio processors.  A favorite, and in a newly designed package.
"Ranks among the very best of contemporary 'computer music' recordings I've heard in recent years... Myers' ability to sustain the tension between strangeness and familiarity is impressive, and his music on this CD is quietly and consistently compelling." —Bill Tilland, Motion Reviews >

derived from pure electronically feedbacking audio processors, this has some truly scary high and low frequencies, heard this on a bespoke high performing class A amp/speaker system recently (modified Heil AMT tweeters, incredibly revealing) expecting smoke from the woofers and tweeters at any moment, they survived!

regards Ian