Newbie in town.

Hi all, 

I'm in Melbourne and I've just joined on the recommendation of a friend. 

I'm a total music glutton and have worn out my old receiver finally (or more likely it got damaged while moving house), so I'm using it as a good excuse to upgrade. So on the lookout for a new integrated amp/receiver.

This looks like a good forum to get deeper into gear that I shouldn't really look at in case I'm forced to sell my children to afford stuff.  

Cheers and see you on the boards.

- dan

Hi again,

just to back up the music glutton thing, here's the list I put together every year of what I've listened to: http://workingclassdan.tumblr.com/post/155007419419/massive-music-post-for-2016

210 new albums last year. Doesn't include re-listens or back catalogue. 

My hi-fi setup has been fairly basic for these parts, Sony receiver with JBL 3-ways for almost the past 20 years. So I'm opening Pandora's box by hanging out here, and I'm ready to start buying (not selling) a few bits and pieces as soon as the mods see fit to let me loose on the classifieds :D

I'm probably going to be a bit quiet while I read loads of info on here and go down the rabbit hole and learn a lot. Not even particularly many questions yet about hifi but I do have plenty of valve guitar amp experience and deacdes of close analytical listening to bring over to this game. 

• Like 3

Hi Dan. Welcome to SNA.

That's an impressive lot of new listening you listened to last year. Good read. You might enjoy the 'currently spinning' threads in the Music sub-forum. Not a bad way to get your post count up and demonstrate to the mods that you are a good willed music lover who should be given access to the classifieds.

How do you listen to your music? Vinyl, CD, computer, streaming...

And, following on from that, what inputs might you be looking for in your new amplifier? Phono, line level, digital...

Also, what is your budget? 

A bit more information along these lines will help people target any recommendations.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. 

I'll check out the sub-forum for sure, thanks Monty. 

My listening includes all of the above - vinyl, CD, bluetooth, streaming. To be honest though, most of it is done in headphones while commuting. At home it's a mix. 

For an amp, I'll need the Phono of course. And then another input for CD and at least a third for the bluetooth. 

I'm borrowing a Rega Brio-R at the moment, which I'm enjoying. But for budget I'd probably like to be a starter at $500 but could be convinced to go to $2000 for the right thing.