ALH

Surround sound that may not be

ALH   

Guys,

doing a quick informal survey to see if anyone else has purchased a surround sound AV receiver (5.1) without realising at the time was that the two amplifiers required for Zone B (stereo i.e. 2.0) are taken leave just three amplifier channels (i.e. 3.1)?

The problem I have is that I purchased a Yamaha RX-V461 AV receiver and I’ve just discovered the hard way that I can’t have surround sound (5.1) in one room and stereo (Zone B) in another playing at the same time.

And Yamaha does not make this obvious in their documentation and advertising.

Even now looking at the Yamaha website, and with the benefit of hindsight, the wording, "assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection and Speaker Zone B Function" is vague. (Link http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx-v481/?mode=model. Decide for yourself)

Certainly doesn't make it clear that that HDCP HDMI, Ultra HD, and “5- Channel powerful surround sound” et cetera would not be available with 5.1 surround sound in one room while running an output at Zone B. Which is a reasonable expectation. The best that can be achieved is 3.1. Which is clearly inconsistent with the other "features". To draw an analogy between the Yamaha AV receiver and a TV - who would buy a Ultra HD TV only capable of 3.1 surround sound via the HDMI?

(Part of the problem was that my two previous amplifiers (Yamaha RX-V677 & RX-V663) all had separate channels for a second zone.)

So if anyone else has had their fingered burnt or been surprised at the inability to have 5.1 surround sound in one room and 2.0 stereo on the other, please leave a comment below or pm me.

Cheers,

ALH

blybo   

@ALH Pretty much all AVR's are the same regardless of brand and have been like that since the days of Prologic receivers.

You have 2 options I guess. Can argue not fit for purpose with the retailer if you specifically asked for that functionality from the salesman and exchange for a 7.1 AVR, or buy a cheap 2 ch power amp to power outside. I have an old one in storage that may suit if you are interested.

ALH   

I looked at a few combinations including a small stereo amplifier +5.1 AV. As well as budget limitations (doesn't everyone?) there are space limitations. And of course the retailer didn't actually recommend that unit. He only pointed out that Zone B was restricted to the same input as the main speakers. Which was different to Zone 2 which allows different inputs to broadcast to the two different rooms. No mention of the difference in number of amplifier channels.

Appreciate your comments regarding options. Pass on the two channel for the moment thanks - probably wouldn't fit in the space available

Cheers,
ALH

Edited by ALH
Typo

powerav   
5 hours ago, ALH said:

So if anyone else has had their fingered burnt or been surprised at the inability to have 5.1 surround sound in one room and 2.0 stereo on the other, please leave a comment below or pm me.

Cheers,

Been this way for a long time hence why there are different models. As Blybo said better off getting a cheap 2 channel amp and something as simple as a Chromecsat Audio for 2nd zone, will work far better than AVR zoning anyway.

POV   

Is it really that big a deal though to view in 3.1 (still very enjoyable for most films) at the times when using both zones?  how often are you using both zones simultaneously?

ALH   

Thank you very much for those comments. After a stint in hospital, I’m now back on deck.

Just to clarify:

1. The 2 zones are in 2 different rooms and physically changing speaker connections over is not an option, and

2. depending on what you are watching/listening to, 5.1 on the Blu-ray or DVD can be just so much better than the 3.1 version.

At the moment it seems that the most attractive solution is the Yamaha WXC-50 to provide 2 channels, leaving the AV receiver to provide the other 5.1. That's unless I've misunderstood the specifications...

Cheers,
ALH

Sadly, the WXC50 will require amplification... if you don't have a power amp to plug into the WXC50, you'll instead need to purchase a WXA50.

ALH   

Ahh, yep. Thankyou for spotting that one.

ALH

Gremrock   

Unfortunately it's a dedicated setting and you either connect rears OR you connect zone B, so generally it's not a simple switch. 

That at said I run 2ch for movies and I'm happy