FS: Musical Fidelity KW550 Integrated Amp

SOLD

Price: $2500
Item Condition: Excellent but for some scratching to upper faceplate of amplifier unit (see photos)
Reason for selling: Preferred Ayre AX-7
Payment Method: Bank transfer; cash on pick-up.
Extra Info:

I purchased this as a replacement for my Ayre AX-7 that I had for 10 years but went "bang" during one of the Sydney storms late last year. I have enjoyed having the KW550 but, on balance, prefer the sound of the Ayre in my system. Photos and description are courtesy of Phil's original advert.

The KW550 has a switchable MM/MC phono stage, 5 RCA line inputs (one of which alternates with a 3.5mm ‘portable device input’ on the front), and preamp- and line-outs.  Power rating is 630wpc into 8 ohms and 910wpc into 4 ohms.  The separate PSU houses 3 transformers and weighs 32kg (!)  New price was about $12k.  Full specs can be found here:http://www.studio22.com/musical_fidelity/kw550.htm

The amp comes with all ancillaries: remote control, power cord, and both long and short sets of screened PSU-to-amp umbilicals. Preamp valves have been upgraded, to good effect, from the stock Golden Dragon 6SL7s (also included) to long-life RCA red-base 5691s (platinum grade from Upscale Audio).

I have the (unoriginal but suitable) shipping boxes in which I received it. Buyer to arrange courier collection, if required.     

KW550-02.JPG

KW550-03.JPG

KW550-04.JPG

KW550-05.JPG

KW550-06.JPG

KW550-07.JPG

• Like 1

Beast amplifier! I know where to get my hands on the Matching dual box CD player for anyone interested in a "complete system".

In a rare fashion MF manage to get the Tubes and SS technology to integrate beautifully, and I think you'll regret selling this but good luck :)

• Like 1

Beast amplifier! I know where to get my hands on the Matching dual box CD player for anyone interested in a "complete system".

In a rare fashion MF manage to get the Tubes and SS technology to integrate beautifully, and I think you'll regret selling this but good luck [emoji4]

Thank you! Yes, it's been 6 weeks of "umm-ing and ahh-ing" as to whether to sell it but 10 years of listening to that Ayre has edged it in the end.

ive got one and I paid 2 years ago much more than double the asking price, and that was a good price !!!

they are a stunning amp ,in the same quality as the mark levinson 3 series except better

they run a bit warm ,and will power any speaker on the planet, without raising a sweat

iron fist with a velvet touch, at 2,5 k its a steal ,this was a 12k amp

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amdan said:

How old is the amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know the exact age. I believe the previous owner had it for approximately 3 years and purchased it from the original owner. I can happily provide the serial number via PM if you want to try and use that to date it.