Cafad   

Mmmm, I'm wondering if this weekend will be long enough.  The Accuphase via its internal DAC is truly high end and has this awesomely smooth rhythm and addictive PRAT in the bottom end but the Sansui 907NRA via the Accuphase internal DAC is a different flavor of high end.  The top end is so clean and clear and open and somehow manages to be to sound what the aroma of fresh morning due is to smell.  

This could take some time.

IMG_0495.JPG

Edited by Cafad

Steam   

Have to say I have never come across somebody that has a high end integrated amp that they keep to use as a DAC. :party

Cafad   

Well, that's not the only reason, it also just happens to be an excellent integrated in its own right.  

Also, I was trying to keep the playing field level, I can't compare two amps on totally different DACS.  That just wouldn't be fair.

I see your point though, if anyone was likely to do that it would probably be me.

Edited by Cafad

Cafad   

Well that was excruciatingly, and yet enjoyably, difficult but I have come to a conclusion.  I have (for a second time, the Accuphase rallying towards the end on the ML2s just made the process longer) decided to keep the Sansui Alpha 907NRA.

Sansui fever guys, there's a reason it exists.  I suppose only time will tell just how badly I've caught it.

The big problem facing me right now is that I want the Sansui to sound as good as it did with the Accuphase DAC feeding it.  

Ah, never ending hobby, how I love thee!

gat474   

I don't know how you do all of that swapping around of gear in your comparisons.  I learnt some years ago for me it's best not to have two of anything because I just waste time swapping between components trying to find the better one.  In the end I get paralysis by analysis.   I takes my hat off to your determination in your quest.  Now, I'm off to listen to some vinyl and compare the new Elektra pre amp I bought to my old pre amp.   

Cafad   
1 hour ago, gat474 said:

I don't know how you do all of that swapping around of gear in your comparisons.  I learnt some years ago for me it's best not to have two of anything because I just waste time swapping between components trying to find the better one.  In the end I get paralysis by analysis.   I takes my hat off to your determination in your quest.  Now, I'm off to listen to some vinyl and compare the new Elektra pre amp I bought to my old pre amp.   

Paralysis by analysis does strike every now and then but that's no reason to give up a hobby that's this much fun.  I love the mystery of hooking up a new amp and turning it on for the first time.  Will it sound better, worse, good-ish, bad-ish, English, American, Scandinavian, Chinese, Japanese, will it have a good top end, cloudy, fuzzy, hard, sharp, metallic... will it give me good vocals, bad vocals or indifferent vocals, strong bass, weak bass, tight, loose, dirty, muddy, punchy... the list goes on and there's no way to know until you turn it on and spin up a disc.  Maybe it will be the one you will want to keep and listen to above all others, or maybe it will be a shocker that you will turn off after just 2 songs and never listen to again.  You wont know until you try.

OK, it isn't quite the reason I get up in the morning but it is the reason a smile finds its way to my face every time I arrive home to find a new cardboard box sitting in front of my door.  It's a little piece of adventure in an otherwise fairly monotonous life.

The only thing I'd rather be doing is fishing.

Bunyip   
51 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Paralysis by analysis does strike every now and then but that's no reason to give up a hobby that's this much fun.  I love the mystery of hooking up a new amp and turning it on for the first time.  Will it sound better, worse, good-ish, bad-ish, English, American, Scandinavian, Chinese, Japanese, will it have a good top end, cloudy, fuzzy, hard, sharp, metallic... will it give me good vocals, bad vocals or indifferent vocals, strong bass, weak bass, tight, loose, dirty, muddy, punchy... the list goes on and there's no way to know until you turn it on and spin up a disc.  Maybe it will be the one you will want to keep and listen to above all others, or maybe it will be a shocker that you will turn off after just 2 songs and never listen to again.  You wont know until you try.

OK, it isn't quite the reason I get up in the morning but it is the reason a smile finds its way to my face every time I arrive home to find a new cardboard box sitting in front of my door.  It's a little piece of adventure in an otherwise fairly monotonous life.

The only thing I'd rather be doing is fishing.

Very eloquently put sir!

I might turn this into a poster so I can point to it when people walk into my music room, see my setup, and turn to me with a puzzled look on their face.

niss_man   
17 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Very eloquently put sir!

I might turn this into a poster so I can point to it when people walk into my music room, see my setup, and turn to me with a puzzled look on their face.

This look?

dog.jpg.5c77d9c9386a42937a2f0e53b13dda2c.jpg

Edited by niss_man

Bunyip   

Well, a little more like this

4WA1gD7CKAPks.gif.74377b8297c9f4d59936432098efdd0b.gif

Edited by Bunyip

Cafad   

Yes, I am sure many of us are familiar with both of those looks.

The average man on the street (and his dog!) just don't understand us SNA'ers.

Bunyip   

Audiophile dog walks into room and sees your rig.

oie_221728486kpqmCJL.gif.038dd4bbb814c06866aaac68b917a6de.gif