FS: Weston Acoustics KT120 (SYD)

SOLD

Item: Weston Acoustics Topaz KT120
Price: $1800
Item Condition: 9/10
Reason for selling: Has been usurped by a WA 300b
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

This gorgeous soul needs to make way for a Weston Acoustics 300B. Having used them side-by-side, it's clear the 300b is a better match for the Azura horns.

The amp came to me via the forums last year, it was in immaculate condition. There is now a small blemish on the front-right facia, as I bumped a DAC into it whilst putting it on the bench. You should be able to see it in the photos.

I can't peg the valve life, but I'm guessing it's in the "newish" zone, as I only use the amp for a few hours a week.

A really great amp that I would happily keep, if I had another system for it. I do have a shipping box, so that is possible.

Cheers.

Pictures:

L1005914.jpg

L1005913.jpg

L1005912.jpg

L1005911.jpg

L1005910.jpg

L1005909.jpg

• Like 5

When I've asked, it seems to fluctuate around the 2-4 month mark, but obviously Earle would confirm that quickly.

In this case, it's actually a 300B I had a few years ago; it's made its way back to me. (The ol', "if you ever sell this again, please tell me first..."). 

Edited by yeahpetrus

Ain't it always the case.- i ordered one from Earle a couple of days ago. Slight damper on my excitement is the 4 months wait list.

Where were you when I put the wtb ad up!!!

No doubt you will sell this very quickly. Lovely amp. 

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, yeahpetrus said:

No, it doesn't. It's labelled 6-12ohm on the outputs. Cheers. 

Just a note about the impedance, I contacted Earle some time ago about driving a 4 ohm load. This was his reply.

"It can drive down to 2.7 ohms without overloading the output tubes.

The only payoff is slightly less maximum output. (only 1 or 2 db)

16 ohms is also fine. The opposite will happen here, you'll get an extra 1 or 2 db."

Hope this helps.

I also have the Topaz driving Azura horn. Also thought about 300B.....

GLWTS

• Like 2

For @yeahpetrus and others that may be interested I found vibration isolation really made a difference to this amp.

I use 3 squash balls for isolation, 2 at the back where the heavy transformers are and 1 near the middle front. Just off center to have it sit level.

Due to the heavy weight of these amps this simple method works well, even when I can feel real vibrations in the table it sits on there's absolutely no vibration of the amp.

Sorry to side track a FS post.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hotJ said:

Is this the current model, aka Pi wound output transformer?

Yes, it is current spec with modified Pi wound transformers, Panasonic cathode caps and paper in oil coupling caps.

Still has warranty on all parts and labour except tubes until the end of Feb 2020.

Cheers, Earle.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ehtcom said:

Yes, it is current spec with modified Pi wound transformers, Panasonic cathode caps and paper in oil coupling caps.

Still has warranty on all parts and labour except tubes until the end of Feb 2020.

Cheers, Earle.

Good on you Earle, not many people offer transferable warranty.

59 minutes ago, ehtcom said:

Cheers, Earle.

Thank you, Earle. You're a gentleman. 

It's a wonderful amp, and only going to make room for another Weston Acoustics...

Edited by yeahpetrus
  • Like 1

ok i guess register interest does not equal to buy offer. but im quite sure my question and then the official response triggered that buying offer. since it is pending payment i wont argue further. GLWS