Low noise 9v, 12v & 15v 1.5A PSU

Gieseler Audio

Very happy power supply owner here, mine arrived today for the Aries Mini and is a noticeable improvement, don't now how or why and I don't care [emoji4] I must admit I was a bit worried and sceptical but very comfortable now that I have just tried a few tracks. Thanks Clay [mention=112957]Gieseler Audio[/mention]

Posts like this are pushing me closer to pulling the trigger myself. Out of interest, how do you tend to use the Mini most of the time - pulling stuff from an installed hard drive/SSD, streaming from a NAS or Tidal or something? Wondering if the improvement is more noticeable in one mode than another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

%100 from 1TB standard hard that is installed, I do have the 3 month free trial of tidal but probably won't continue with it unless Aries get the MQA thing going. The main reason I got the power supply was the extra drain the HDD would be putting on the system. I know with a raspberry Pi you can't get away with a cheap generic power supply so same should apply here.

• Like 1

On 2017-5-9 at 7:11 PM, Cardiiiii said:

Has anyone tried one of these with an Uptone Regen?

You bet.

Clay, myself and one Mr Lenehan tried the Uptone regen with Clays supply on the LE Mike just got.  Instant and easily audible improvement.  Less grunge and more detail - cleaner and clearer.

Next step is Clay's supply running the LE and the new ISO regen - will see what that does.

I was so impressed with all this I got an Aries Mini, arranged to get and ISO regen, and asked Clay to build two supplies for it - one for the Mini and one for the Regen.  Should prove very interesting since the Mini costs just $389.  Reading stuff from people like John Darko, the difference was subtle with a good supply:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/02/audiophile-grade-streaming-with-the-auralic-aries-mini/

But with the new ISO regen maybe even better - we will see.

BTW Clay talked me into selling him the Aries - I have a Bridge 2 for my Direct Stream (DS) anyway - but from what we heard it may be better - only more listening will tell. A big upgrade is coming to the DS, both the engine and bridge, and it may, just may do full MQA decoding.  A comparison of the Aries with regen etc and Clay's DAC to the DS when that happens should prove very very interesting.  Before I gave the DS a slight edge over the Konverter (its also a lot more expensive - being twice the price) - now things may be a bit different - we will see.

I can feel a GTG coming on. 

Thanks

Bill 

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 2

On 2017-5-11 at 6:50 PM, powerav said:

I do have the 3 month free trial of tidal but probably won't continue with it unless Aries get the MQA thing going. The main reason I got the power supply was the extra drain the HDD would be putting on the system.

Version 5 of the software is now in beta.   Myself and Clay have checked it - it does MQA - not via standard MQA though.   But who cares - how does it sound is the question - answer - very good.

Will compare it to proper MQA in the Explorer 2 and, hopefully the Direct Stream that may do it next release.

We will see how both of these go against Clay's Konverter - the Explorer 2 while very good for the money, and your jaw drops when you hear it with proper cables, is not as good as the Klein, and definitely the Konverter is better - the DS - well that's another story - see my Konverter review.  Trouble is those proper cables cost $800.00 or more - gulp.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Guest scumbag
2 minutes ago, bhobba said:

Version 5 of the software is now in beta.   Myself and Clay have checked it - it does MQA - not via standard MQA though.   But who cares - how does it sound is the question - answer - very good.

Will compare it to proper MQA in the Explorer 2 and, hopefully the Direct Stream that may do it next release.

We will see how both these go against Clay's Konverter - the Explorer 2 while very good for the money, and your jaw drops when you hear it with proper cables, is not as good as the Klein. and definitely the Konverter is better - the DS - well that's another story - see my Konverter review.  Trouble is those proper cables cost $800.00 or more - gulp.

Thanks

Bill

At the risk of injuring my wallet, what were those "proper" cables again?

22 minutes ago, scumbag said:

At the risk of injuring my wallet, what were those "proper" cables again?

Mikes cables is what was used.  But other people like Keith Eichmann make 'proper cables' as well.  If you are spending that sort of money you owe it to yourself to hear a few.

The only thing is the Explorer 2 has a 3.5mm jack and Mike is making a pair with a 3.5mm plug at one end, otherwise you need a little converter like the following:

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-3-5mm-stereo-male-to-2-rca-female-audio-adaptor-co352rcaad

Will getting rid of the converter make a difference?   Who knows.  Like I said you need to listen to a few.

Trouble is the explorer is about $440, the Klein $750 and the Konverter $4k.   You maybe can justify it for the Konverter - the others - well make up your own mind.  I have heard the difference and am getting one for the Explorer - but I am a nut.  Will sell the whole lot - Explorer and Cables a bit later.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Guest scumbag

So, which cables of Mike's were / are you using? I have used plenty of "proper" cables, including the Eichmann stuff and wasn't all that super impressed. 

1 minute ago, scumbag said:

So, which cables of Mike's were / are you using? I have used plenty of "proper" cables, including the Eichmann stuff and wasn't all that super impressed. 

It's some new ones he is making - beyond his old ribbon flex which I have in my system right now.   He makes the Curios USB cables these days (Clay uses them in his system):

http://www.lenehanaudio.com.au/curiouscables.html

I think he will be calling them that.  But really such a discussion belongs on Mikes forum rather than Clay's.

Thanks

Bill

13 minutes ago, scumbag said:

I already have 2 curious cables.

Yes - his Curious USB cables are IMHO the best and many seem to agree - I use them for USB but right now simply have a spdif from my Oppo feeding my DS - my system is not complete right now - that will happen soon though and my 'experimenting' will stop - its far too financially draining as my dwindling bank balance readily attests to - but boy is it fun.

Mike is calling his new cables Curious as well.

Some likes Mikes cables, other Keith's - its a personal preference thing.   The main thing is make sure you don't spend that sort of money until you hear them.

I personally find Keith's power cables good - but wont be drawn into a discussion about the others - its what you like.  Mike tried to do a power cable but failed miserably - you can read about it on his forum.

Thanks

Bill 

Edited by bhobba

Guest scumbag

I've really enjoyed my wireworld spdif cable. I've tried quite a few including one of the older Eichmann ones. The wireworld Starlight has, to my ears, a very natural sound. I'm sure there are better out there but I don't have the motivation to investigate at the moment. 

12 hours ago, scumbag said:

I've really enjoyed my wireworld spdif cable. I've tried quite a few including one of the older Eichmann ones. The wireworld Starlight has, to my ears, a very natural sound. I'm sure there are better out there but I don't have the motivation to investigate at the moment. 

Aurealis makes a pure silver one.

Guest scumbag

I was just reading  about that. I'm not looking to get another coaxial cable though. Anyway, we are easy off topic sorry. 

Edited by scumbag

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question re Gieseler Power Supplies.   I currently have a 12 volt version on loan from a fellow SNA member.    It is driving my CAPS Lagoon mini pc and has replaced a stock 12volt power pack.    The GPS appears to be running very hot.   It has been left on permanently.   The heat is such that I doubt I could hang onto it for long once picked up.    Is this normal heat or is there a perceived issue.   I have sent an email to Clay but still awaiting an answer.

Any thoughts.     It is well ventilated.

Regards Cazzesman 

22 hours ago, cazzesman said:

Just a quick question re Gieseler Power Supplies.   I currently have a 12 volt version on loan from a fellow SNA member.    It is driving my CAPS Lagoon mini pc and has replaced a stock 12volt power pack.    The GPS appears to be running very hot.   It has been left on permanently.   The heat is such that I doubt I could hang onto it for long once picked up.    Is this normal heat or is there a perceived issue.   I have sent an email to Clay but still awaiting an answer.

Any thoughts.     It is well ventilated.

Regards Cazzesman 

Email received from Clay.  Turns out his PS not appropriate for the Lagoon use.

Thanks Clay for the feedback. :thumb:

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another delighted customer of this PSU, paired with a Sotm SMS-200. :party  No doubt that it improved the audio over the supplied one (which came with a dodgy Oz plug adapter which kept falling off! :().

Running at 12V, which is higher than the recommended 9V 2A. Compared 12V with 9V, 12V slightly better (but not as much as PSU improvement).

First time customer with Clay and happy with product and service. :D Looking forward to Clay's upcoming Dac with xlr outputs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I bought a 12v power supply for my new nimitra server from Clay. It made a huge improvement over the stock cable. Music opened up. Sounded less digital, more present. Just better overall with no downside.

I would recommend anyone speak to Clay if you are looking to test power supplies. They do make an incredible difference. Clay personally is also great to deal with. Am going to try a 9v variation on the power supply on the new iso regen when it comes out or maybe sotm tx ultra device. I am sure it will do an incredible job. 

Thanks Clay. 

Thoughts on upgrading power supply on a Chord 2qute Dac?

Rob Watts apparently thinks not necessary. Went to a great deal of effort to design noise out.

Anybody tried? Big difference?

Better to invest in a good PS on a endpoint or sever instead, with this particular Dac?

Quite some time ago I supplied Bill Hobba  (bhobba) a early version of my low noise 12v PSU to use with his Chord QuteHD.

We did quite a few listing comparisons & both agreed the low noise PSU made a definate improvement to the sound vs the standard supplied SMPS. I actually looked at the output of the SMPS with my scope & there was a lot of HF hash visible which is fairly standard for that type of unit. 

The current Chord units may be using a lower noise SMPS now but in general I find most DAC's that are supplied with basic SMPS plug packs will always sound better with a low noise linear PSU. It might be a good idea to do a quick test yourself by running the 2Qute from say a battery. Jaycar should have a suitable DC plug & an old car battery or Alam SLA battery would work fine.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

@shihan171   He can ........... cos he made one for my Regen ............ :) ....... Clay is disappearing to the wilds of Tassie tomorrow or the day after so he may not reply immediately ....... but his answer and the power supply will be worth waiting for ........ :):)

Edited by Ancientflatulence
  • Like 2

On 13/07/2017 at 7:07 AM, Gieseler Audio said:

Quite some time ago I supplied Bill Hobba  (bhobba) a early version of my low noise 12v PSU to use with his Chord QuteHD.

Clay is being modest.

Made a big difference with both the Chord and my Off-Ramp.  We  had a look at the SMPS on the scope - horrific - that stuff radiating around any audio gear connected to it cant be good for the sound.  Clay's PS even then was dead flat on the scope - but has only gotten bettter since then.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 2

On 14/09/2017 at 8:35 PM, shihan171 said:

I have a few weeks bought the new ISO Regen from UpTone and now I would like to take this to the next level and use a good power supply to feed the ISO .

Can you make one for me please .

Should be no problem.

Both me and Mike have one on order and am getting it without the PS which Clay will be making.

Already use it on the current regen and it makes a clearly audible difference - can hardly wait to see what the ISO regen does.

Thanks

Bill