Low noise 9v, 12v & 15v 1.5A PSU

Gieseler Audio

Clay, can your power supply options cover a 16V requirement for a Auralic Aries mini?

"It is 16V in 1A as standard.

The lowest acceptable input voltage is 14V(1.2A) and the maximum is 18V(1A)."

I presume your 15V would then be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest scumbag
On 15/04/2017 at 10:40 AM, Raffinator said:

Clay, can your power supply options cover a 16V requirement for a Auralic Aries mini?

"It is 16V in 1A as standard.

The lowest acceptable input voltage is 14V(1.2A) and the maximum is 18V(1A)."

I presume your 15V would then be fine.

John,

Not wanting to speak on Clay's behalf but he made me a PSU for my Auralic Mini when they were first released. So he certainly can make a PSU that more than covers the requirements for the Auralic units. It really did make an improvement to the sound too. 

This might summons him -

@Gieseler Audio

Edited by scumbag

5 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi John,

yes my 9/12/15v 1.5A PSU preset to 15v would be fine. I could even change the 15v preset to 16v but the Auralic mini runs perfectly on 15v & bit cooler which is a bonus.

Mark - thanks for your input too.

I would be interested in this, could you PM me some prices please, also for the Aries Mini.

Dan & John

The 9/12/15v 1.5A Low noise PSU is $325 which includes Express Post delivery to anywhere in Australia.

It runs from a large 2.5A external transformer. At the 9v or 12v setting is is actually good for about 1.8 A & at 15v the max is around 1.6A. It comes with a DC lead which I terminate with the correct DC plug to suit your device. It has a simple user changeable internal jumper setting to set the output to 9v, 12v or 15v. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Dan & John

The 9/12/15v 1.5A Low noise PSU is $325 which includes Express Post delivery to anywhere in Australia.

It runs from a large 2.5A external transformer. At the 9v or 12v setting is is actually good for about 1.8 A & at 15v the max is around 1.6A. It comes with a DC lead which I terminate with the correct DC plug to suit your device. It has a simple user changeable internal jumper setting to set the output to 9v, 12v or 15v. 

Thank you very much, I will be placing an order soon.

Along with others who recently picked up an Aurliac Mini on sale, I'm also considering this as a power upgrade - especially after hearing comments including that the difference is "night and day", particularly if using the Mini's internal DAC (which is what I'll be doing).  I'm assuming though the difference you notice those is dependent on the other gear in your system.  On that front my set up is a lot less high-end than many others on these forums. Basically all I've done is connect my Mini by RCA to a Cambridge SR10 receiver that I have driving a couple of Advent Prodigy Tower II speakers that I picked up when I first started work a couple of decades back. Any thoughts on whether a power upgrade would provide any noticeable improvement in that kind of set-up or if the benefit only really kicks in when the rest of your gear is a bit more high-end? (not sure if this makes a difference, but I'm using the Mini exclusively as a source for tracks that I've stuck inside on a 1TB SSD - I'm not really into streaming services or setting up a NAS etc).

Guest scumbag

Scott,

Johnny Darko had some interesting thoughts on power upgrades to streamers. He might have even made some specifically about the Mini in fact (can't remember off hand). He was saying that in some cases, upgrading the power supply is more noticeable than a more costly upgrade to the DAC. I guess what I'm saying is, the Mini won't be the bottle neck and you can upgrade other stuff down the track. A Gieseler power supply is not too expensive the audiophile scheme of things. Good gear at reasonable prices pops up on SNA quite often so building a great system and not stupid money is doable. I guess it's a question of involvement. If you want to look at building up a system in the long term then I think a good PSU is not a bad place to start.

My very rough guide is that if the device is doing more e.g. the mini is running a drive, using the dac etc. compared to just being a streamer, then the power supply would give more benefit compared to stock supply.

I'll be running two minis (soon) with one upgraded supply. I'll put the LPS on the device I'm using the DAC as well, and the streamer only (feeding a DAC) I'll instead look at "fixes" like an IsoRegen, Singxer, Jitterbug etc.

• Like 1

Clay, I was reading about the SOtM SMS-200  http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/shop/sms-200/ (as it's looking like a combination or this unit and your DAC may well be the path to digital nirvana), and was interested to also read about their "smart" battery supply for it http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/shop/mbps-d2s/

A few reviews rave about it.  Given you are DaMan when it comes to high quality power supplies that, by all reports, make a huge bang-for-buck difference to sound quality, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this approach to power supply!

All the best, Mat

Hi Matt,

I am a fan of SOtM products & use their PCI USB card in my server. The SMS-200 looks like an excellent unit too.

I sure their battery/PSU would be good too but not particularly good value at $400 US.

IMHO battery PSU's for digital units is a bit overrated these days as the latest ultra low noise regulators provide similar performance without the recharging hassles. 

3 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Matt,

I am a fan of SOtM products & use their PCI USB card in my server. The SMS-200 looks like an excellent unit too.

I sure their battery/PSU would be good too but not particularly good value at $400 US.

IMHO battery PSU's for digital units is a bit overrated these days as the latest ultra low noise regulators provide similar performance without the recharging hassles. 

Thanks Clay.  Yes I agree - it'd need to be pretty impressive given the price!  

What would you recommend from your gear power-wise in a setup utilising:

- a mini computer (such as SonicTransporter) as a core for Roon or similar via Cat6 Ethernet to...

- an SMS-200 via USB to.....

- a Geiseler DAC via XLR to....

preamp>power amp>speakers>ears>brain ?

Guest scumbag
25 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Matt,

As an owner of a SMS200, I think i can wade in here. I bought the SOTM battery charging unit with the SMS200. It does sound great and is a big step up from the stock PSU. The actual cost of the unit in AUD is $650 now though and I got mine a lot cheaper in a package deal that was on at the time. It does have 2 batteries internally that switch and charge automatically. 

I have also owned one of Clay's PSU's that I used with an Auralic Mini. I can honestly say, hand on heart that Clay's unit would sound every bit as good as the battery unit. What any device like this needs is a ripple free source of voltage and current on-demand and Clays unit will provide all of that plus it will be considerably cheaper than the SOTM battery PSU. Some even argue that the extra current capability of a power unit like Clay's may offer advantages over a battery based solution though I think with the power optimisation that SOTM have done, that might not be so relevant in this context.

If the package deal for the battery PSU was not on at the time for the bundle I would not have had a seconds hesitation about getting one of Clay's PSU's.

Edited by scumbag

Guest scumbag
9 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Thanks Clay.  Yes I agree - it'd need to be pretty impressive given the price!  

What would you recommend from your gear power-wise in a setup utilising:

- a mini computer (such as SonicTransporter) as a core for Roon or similar via Cat6 Ethernet to...

- an SMS-200 via USB to.....

- a Geiseler DAC via XLR to....

preamp>power amp>speakers>ears>brain ?

If you perhaps have a spare laptop then you could save some money here by getting the mini-computer out of the equation and use it as a Roon server. I don't believe that the sound quality would be in any way negatively affected by using a non-dedicated music machine as a server. Perhaps others who run Roon my disagree on that point. You can also have the server on the network but you wouldn't have to connect it directly to the SMS200. You would either add a WIFI dongle to the SMS200 or physically connect to your network router. This would also allow you to connect your Roon server to a NAS, if you have one.

An SMS200 to a Geiseler DAC would be an interesting combination. I think it would be a good synergy. 

Edited by scumbag

Thanks Scumbag (how funny that sounds as a reply to a very helpful post!). Yes I recently scored a free "compact desktop" Dell computer that I was planning to use in this capacity as a dry run.  Things add up quick when I'll be after a DAC+rendering device+core computer.  I think one attraction to a mini computer is their low power consumption, thus can be left on without feeling too guilty.  A NAS is another consideration for the setup too, and would work well, especially a fancier one that can be the "computer/core" as well, such as some of the newer qnap or synology units, but they are still quite expensive.....

Guest scumbag
42 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Thanks Scumbag (how funny that sounds as a reply to a very helpful post!). Yes I recently scored a free "compact desktop" Dell computer that I was planning to use in this capacity as a dry run.  Things add up quick when I'll be after a DAC+rendering device+core computer.  I think one attraction to a mini computer is their low power consumption, thus can be left on without feeling too guilty.  A NAS is another consideration for the setup too, and would work well, especially a fancier one that can be the "computer/core" as well, such as some of the newer qnap or synology units, but they are still quite expensive.....

Well it just seems plain weird spelling Mat with only 1 "t" in it. :P

Very happy power supply owner here, mine arrived today for the Aries Mini and is a noticeable improvement, don't now how or why and I don't care :) I must admit I was a bit worried and sceptical but very comfortable now that I have just tried a few tracks. Thanks Clay @Gieseler Audio

• Like 3

Guest scumbag
3 minutes ago, powerav said:

Very happy power supply owner here, mine arrived today for the Aries Mini and is a noticeable improvement, don't now how or why and I don't care :) I must admit I was a bit worried and sceptical but very comfortable now that I have just tried a few tracks. Thanks Clay @Gieseler Audio

Confirms my finding with the Mini and Clay's PSU.

Very happy power supply owner here, mine arrived today for the Aries Mini and is a noticeable improvement, don't now how or why and I don't care [emoji4] I must admit I was a bit worried and sceptical but very comfortable now that I have just tried a few tracks. Thanks Clay [mention=112957]Gieseler Audio[/mention]

And I'm just waiting for mine to arrive now. [emoji846]