Low noise 9v, 12v & 15v 1.5A PSU

Gieseler Audio

Low noise 9v, 12v & 15v 1.5A PSU

I’m not sure if everyone is aware of this model so just a quick bit of info.

It is very similar to my standard 5/7/9v unit but just with higher voltage outputs.

Price is slightly higher at $325 delivered due to the much larger 16v 2.5A external transformer.

I ‘ve rated it at 1.5A as that is the regulator rating but due to extra headroom with the large

transformer it is good for about 1.8A (at 9v & 12v) before current limiting chops in.

The 9v, 12v & 15v voltage output is user changeable via a PCB jumper setting.

IMG_0583.thumb.JPG.38a6d9617aa18ea62047e899d1b1a843.JPGIMG_0593.thumb.JPG.ad3850cd00abc366d3b0069c42cf4566.JPGIMG_0598.thumb.JPG.e856ee2e495ee953958f3c090240bbc0.JPG

• Like 2

Guest scumbag

Clay

So just to confirm, and hopefully not a thick question, if  I were to use this with a device that draws 12v then the internal regulators will allow it to happily  output up to 1.8a if required from the device that it is powering? 

Mark 

hey guys thanks for you support on this. I can hardly keep up with orders at the moment. 

:)

There are now 50+ of my low noise PSU's in the field now.

Just bench tested the 9/12/15v unit & at 9v it is good for 2A - not really designed to run at that current all day though.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scumbag
12 minutes ago, Suopermanni said:

Okay, the LPS has made a noticeable difference in performance. Even if using Youtube weirdly enough.

Yes, Youtube is the first thing I check after upgrading power supplies :hiccup Just jokes.

Guest scumbag

Gents,

I know the Sbooster stuff in not state of the art, however if we refer to their power supply that they offer for the Mytek -

https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-12v-132v/?language=en  - this unit is rated at 28 watts max so my simple maths suggest @12 volts = 2.3 or thereabouts.

Not wanting to butt my nose in but it is useful to look at other commercial offerings to see what they consider a sensible spec'.

Of course, if Clay can get more juice out of his unit that 2.2A then that's great - you'll have some headroom.

We referred to the Sbooster stuff when Clay made me my powers supply for the then newly released Auralic Mini. By referring to their spec' we had a ball park as to the spec's that Clay's power supply should meet or exceed. Result = brilliant sound and never missed a beat.

Just my 2 cents. Please ignore if you wish!

Edited by scumbag

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Clay,

I just want to say thanks for the excellent 4A PSU I'm using on my Mytek Brooklyn. The 4A seems adequate. No obvious dropouts.

The SQ is definitely a step up from the SMPS inside the Mytek. Well done. And at a price way better than anything available from eBay.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

Hi Andrew,

thank you for the kind words. Good to hear it doing the job. The 12v 4A version is a new design with some  high specked parts so it  nice to know you can actually hear an improvement over a SMPS supply. It uses a new layout with high efficiency low rfi emission dual Schottky diodes witch are bolted directly to the case for cooling. These work so much better than the usual block rectifier you see in most PSU's of this capacity. I will post a photo of the pcb tomorrow when I get to work.

Regards

Clay

Edited by Gieseler Audio

OK internal shot of the 12v 4A version.

Schottky diodes & regulator are mounted to the aluminium case using 3mm screws into tapped holes which gives excellent cooling. The diodes only run luke warm as they have super low forward voltage drop.

It is a bit of a squeeze fitting in the main filter cap but it just makes it. RC snubber filter on the transformer secondary & a common mode chokeIMG_0821.thumb.JPG.19d02a657b1117c4e8b2c1cc0c79eda7.JPG all help to reduce any incoming noise.

Hi Clay,

I've been thinking about using one of these 12V 4A PSUs inside my server case. You may remember I've asked you about this before. I want to put the tranny in  the case as well. If I take the back and top off like in the photo will it overheat ? Also I notice the jumper for grounding the case. Should I put that jumper in if I screw it to the server case?

Hi Andrew,

yes should work fine like that & no problem with the cover off.  I put the ground jumper option in but but haven't tried it. What it does is connect the negative output of the PSU to the PCB ground plane & also the case.  If your server case is earthed when you screw the PSU  down it achieves the same thing as the jumper no no need to add the jumper.