Sony vs LG

Hi all, 

im about to pull the trigger on a new tv. Nothing wrong with my old sony http://www.sony.com.au/support/product/KDL-46XBR45 but just feel like a newer, bigger tv.

Im comparing the X9300D 55" sony to the LG 60UH850T 60" model

or

the sony x9300D 65" to the LG 65UH950HT 65" model

size wise, im going to get the biggest I can. Im in a small place, approx 2.8~3.0m viewing distance, but only renting there. I watch mostly movies and sport like UFC, not much tv.

which would you pick and why

@Metamatic is right. The Bravia processor is the benchmark. and the 9 series are as good as LED gets. As for useability, the LG is superb. The 9 series LG has their version of Quantum Dot tech called Colour Prime and it's a lovely TV. Their interface shits on the Sony. The magic remote is a big step forward in user interaction so, it's an each way bet. Oh, the 850 uses colour prime as well. If you don't care too much about the smart TV stuff then go Sony.

Cheers

M

For 2016 LCD's ... Sony, no question. But once you start considering OLED (i.e. Sony OLED vs. LG OLED) ... I don't think anybody has compared them side by side yet. It will be interesting. And if you are talking 2017 LCD's ... there's also Samsung's QLED to consider. Again, jury is still out. 

pity no oled. is there not a pana alternative ? with sony watch out for its "reality creation" which unfortunately on a lot of their gear is "un defeatable" i.e. cant be bypassed and in reality is like a noise reduction which while can be turned down cant be switched off fuzzing detail vs other displays. has people thinking oh wow how clean...until realise looking at other sets the detail thats missing ! anyways one to watch out for their implementation of this has varied over the years. 

6 minutes ago, Sime said:

It'll take one dam good tv to switch me from Sony. I'm just glad Sony have finally entered the OLED realm. 

yes very good to see them go OLED however not being considered in this thread. 

12 hours ago, husq2100 said:

i had thought this, but I do wonder about their (sony) 100hz + motion flow compared to 200hz?

The LG picture looked pretty good next to the Sony, but was not the same imput

nothing to worry about.

those numbers are largely made up.

https://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/

Edited by michaelw

Well I ended up with the 60" LG.

65 was just too big for my space :-( The main deciding factor came down to size. The 60 was noticeably bigger than the 55 and would fit. I agree that Sony probably has the edge in picture quality but not enough in my eyes to sacrifice the size I wanted. Bonus is the LG has better sound.

If Sony had done a 60 or the 65 fit, then i probably would have gone with them.

this is the first non Sony tv I have ever owned!

• Like 1

Well I am planning to buy a 75" TV at some point. Right now it will have to be LCD, because (1) a 75" OLED is jaw-droppingly expensive, and (2) LG doesn't import them into Australia in the first place! Even Sony is not bringing the 75" ZD9 to Australia, so I will wait for the 75" QLED reviews to come out. Otherwise I will wait another year to see if LG imports the 75" OLED at a decent price. 

Picked it up today and initial thoughts are not good re picture quality :-(

free to air air isn't as good as my old Sony. I first put that down to bigger screen = bigger pixels?

i hooked up my Sony bluray player and put in Transformers. Hmmm there is a much clearer distinction between humans and cgi. And some weird blurry pixelation around moving people....

im worried UFC etc will look like crap?

any thoughts before I go speak to the salesperson 

On 1/27/2017 at 6:15 PM, Metamatic said:

Sony 1st, 2nd and 3rd.:)

Sony has the best picture processing in the business.  

Their upscaling to watch FTA is excellent as is their motion to watch sports.

of course picture quality is excellent.

cheers

Sony has the best picture processing in business ?   I doubt it.

1 hour ago, husq2100 said:

Picked it up today and initial thoughts are not good re picture quality :-(

free to air air isn't as good as my old Sony. I first put that down to bigger screen = bigger pixels?

i hooked up my Sony bluray player and put in Transformers. Hmmm there is a much clearer distinction between humans and cgi. And some weird blurry pixelation around moving people....

im worried UFC etc will look like crap?

any thoughts before I go speak to the salesperson 

If it's too pixelated, try to find the sharp/soft settling and adjust that to see if it makes a difference.  

Free to air is not always a good source to compare panels.  That weirded pixelation you see will happen on any panel for free to air and I've seen that on Sony panels too! Also Ive seen it on different types of panels between LCD, plasma, and LEDs. I could be wrong but the experts call it the mosquito effect!   Some Sony panels suffers from ghosting, not common with other brands, however you need to be experience to actually see this, but once you recognised its  effect you wish you never knew about it because it gets annoying... it's when a objects or people leave a shadow image trail as they move across the screen, a bit like a comets trail! 

Watch a football game, doesn't matter whether it's AFL or soccer and focus on  the players legs as they run on the field, that mosquito effect has a deveststing effect here especially on free to air.  Another good scene is to watch the crashing waves of the beach and nearly all panels will show heavy pixelation to the highest degree where you think that even though the resolution is 1080 you swear it's even lower!  However very different if its of a disc!  Of disc, it's not as noticeable!  

Theres one thing about Sony/Panasonics is that the require less correction out of the box,  so out of the box you shouldn't need to adjust any settings to get a natural color and natural motion picture, unlike Other high profile brands.

I just played with the settings a bit. Cleaned up FTA a bit.

Played Transformers BR again and played with settings a bit as well.

If this is where tv picture has come in 8 years take me back!!

camera work now looks like one of those shakey cam type movies. I'm seeing some slight ghosting (never on my old Sony) and some times the image of a person is disturbed by the background as they move past it. Example, kid riding bike fast past street light, some of the street light pole image goes through him!

now no one pointed this stuff out to me, it's just plain as day. And I was actually stoked to get this telly so going in with a positive mind set.

ill go to JB today and see what they say?

Everything looks fake? Hard to explain but remember when blue screen used in movies was really apparent. Like the depth perspective doesn't blend well from a person to their surroundings. 

is the TV industry design driven by gaming?