Apple HomeKit - Anyone using it for automation or security

Guest Point source

Guest Point source

Hi Folks,

I was wondering whether anyone is 'using' Apple HomeKit for home automation/security?

How would you implement such a solution across your home.

In my case looking for CCTV as a starter and then home automation even schlage door locks maybe.

Looks like it is still early days with this technology or are there just too many issues.

I am assuming HomeKit gives you a standard way to implement and monitor diverse devices from different vendors.

But can you use one interface to control them or is everything still managed vendor by vendor?

Any suggested reading or real world implementations would be appreciated.

cheers Brian

am watching with interest and like to go there. but do worry its early days... get something and might be half baked and because its a hard install with some of it not kind of thing want to really be replacing with newer gen or better in use gear...especially since not the kind of thing can get a handle on till gets installed :D

Guest Point source

just filling in the gaps, does this sound correct ?

'Controlling HomeKit-enabled accessories away from home requires an Apple TV (3rd generation or later) with Apple TV software 7.0 or later and an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 8.1 or later.'

Little bit annoyed my Lifx lights are not compatible with Apple Home. Hoping in time they will come up with a new firmware making them compatible.

The other thing I would like is door bell and front door lock. Air con control as well.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, blybo said:

Little bit annoyed my Lifx lights are not compatible with Apple Home. Hoping in time they will come up with a new firmware making them compatible.

The other thing I would like is door bell and front door lock. Air con control as well.

IIRC, LIFX will not be HomeKit compatible. I've been talking to the owner of the company, I'll ask the question again.

I have Ring doorbell, which integrates with other smart devices via IFTTT. I like it.

I use Tado for AC control, works well.

There is definitely a lack of a universal standard.

I look for two things now when considering smart devices. IFTTT compatibility, and Alexa control.

IFTTT is the best platform we have to tie it all together at the moment, but the cloud based lag is killing it for me lately.

Guest Point source

For a device to have any chance of Homekit, it appears to need an embedded Apple chip known as 'MFi'.

I have decided to start using Homekit and presumably the pain of adoption.

My first device ordered today (coming in Feb)  is a 'Ring Pro' that replaces an existing  low voltage AC wired doorbell.  It 'should' be Homekit compatible now or any time soon.

I would love to integrate cctv but may just have to use a small Swann or similar implementation for the short term. 

I am not a fan of Ring or any device vendor subscription cloud services. But hey might have to!

But given I already have an Apple iCloud quota.

I am hoping or should i say I am gambling that this may be possible with a Homekit enabled device -  time will tell. 

Apparently there may be significant scripting capabilities in the IOS 10 Homekit  release that would enable cross device triggering and event control. That presumably assumes you have an Gen3 Apple TV ?

Guest Point source

Take a look at a small number of sensors called 'Elgato Eve'. Of note a motion detection module was released late 2016 that can trigger events like lights or something else. I believe you need a 3rd Gen Apple TV to invoke remote automation.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a bunch of the Phillips Hue lights which are linked with HomeKit. More significantly, I also put the Schlage lock on my front door and changed the door knob to just at passage set. It's been there nearly a year, never caused any kind of problem, means I don't have to worry about my kids losing keys, and the AA batteries still show around 65% charge.

D-Link just announced a HomeKit security camera, I think. And Incipio are bringing the first AC power outlets for Australia. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Point source

D-Link have released a camera called 'Omna' unfortunately looks like it only saves to local sdxc. 

Not sure if a wifi enabled memory card could be tricked into saving across the lan and into the cloud.

What I am seeing is that existing i.p cameras (not Homekit) appear to want you to 'buy' a cloud service.

In the case of Homekit, YOU already have an iCloud account running Homekit so it makes sense to use that for storage for all your attached devices. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 25/01/2017 at 0:37 PM, blybo said:

Little bit annoyed my Lifx lights are not compatible with Apple Home

You can get Lifx working with HomeKit if you're happy to run a little bit of software and do some (fairly easy) configuration.  I use it for eight lights and two WeMo powerpoint switches.

https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge