La La Land

Saw this tonight and enjoyed - surprised no one else has discussed it 

being a musical and jazz was going to be a struggle as i cant stand musicals and struggle with jazz. 

Opening scene on the freeway - i was thinking omfg what have i done, but it got better - the first third is a bit slow , but once the musicals eases and the acting starts it movies along nicely. 

RG and ES have obvious chemistry and go well together. 

Music is varied and ive got a certain tune stuck in my head. 

Not sure howit sits with jazz fans tho? 

3.80 stars  

Edited by cafe67

• 2 weeks later...

cafe we watched it at the flicks the other night and really enjoyed it ! 

the maker definitely takes inspiration from,

as with the charm of the old ginger rogers fred astaire movies,

I know what you mean wiht the opening hehe

but I felt as a movie its amazing how uplifting and just kept spiralling up and up and up. also not really the predictable sort of movie.

great stuff loved it.

what I also found amazing is the music was all original ... even though many tubes etc heard really felt like something I knew.

a very smartly done movie...

though we do love musicals can understand if really not everyones cup of tea ! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great movie and worthy of all the acclaim. I understand musical is not everyone's cup of tea, but in a forum of audiophiles and music lovers I had expected more enthusiasm for this movie. In particular Jazz is a core component of this movie, and that should at least be of interest to jazz lovers. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just watching La La Land and it seems that the mix is in stereo and not surround. Even the center channel is silent.

I'm streaming it via Apple TV. I don't feel like any of the dialogue is missing. It's just a very obvious left and right mix.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

city of stars....

picked up on uhd blu-ray and we watched last night, 

35417778320_732c3b475f_b.jpg

really kind of movie can watch again. so well done, master piece indeed. loved the whole feel and flow of the movie.

not comparing with the blu-ray i cant say the uhd was better or anything. but i will say it looked utterly gorgeous. the scenes, the sets, the colours had so much pop. particularly the theme of very technicolour primary colours all way through the pic. e.g. her yellow/blue dress. theres a red first 500 that is vibrant red. and towards the end a iridescent green car parked in same space. also skin tones etc all look so natural. 

someone asked about the sound. on the uhd its 3D audio dolby atomos track which can tell you it was fantastic. they describe it as immersive and it sure is the whole front stage has a full big band swing thing happening in many places. in the club scenes it feels like in the club and in the midst of the concerts, the whole 3D sound stage used very well. loved the sound on it :) 

hi def digest describes the audio as below,

"This Blu-ray release has an English: Dolby Atmos track that sounds phenomenal. You'll feel like you're in the middle of a rocking concert at some points or in between a personal conversation with the two lead actors. Right of the bat, the surrounds kick into high gear with tons of cars honking from all over the place and with varying degrees of volume, depending on how far off camera they are.

The music kicks in and fully engulfs the soundstage with excellent highs and lows throughout. You'll be able to hear each instrument perfectly with a realistic heft as if you were there live listening to it. The concert at the big clubs have all the proper dynamics and echoes that it should, while the lounge locations have background chatter and cheer from the surrounds. It's all well balanced and literally music to your ears. Softer dialogue is clear and easy to follow along with and free of any pops, cracks, and hiss.

The score of the film always adds to each emotion in every scene with a fantastic jazz feel without drowning out any other sound aspect. The bass is smooth and never crosses into rocky territory, giving a great heft to the louder music scenes throughout the film. Ambient noises and sound effects are always robust and full and create an excellent soundscape that immerses you into the bustling life of artists in Los Angeles. This audio presentation is such a delight to listen to and fully captures the essence and music of the movie in each moment."

and blu-ray.com describes as below giving it 5 stars,

"La La Land's Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 core) mix is a wonder to behold from before the imagery ever starts, with a cacophonous array of traffic noise and radio "dials" being jiggered with, all of which leads to a beautifully immersive listening experience, with effects clearly emerging from various channels and (in the Atmos mix) even overhead. The song sequences all feature great surround activity and (again) Hurwitz's really effective orchestrations sound clear and forceful throughout (I especially loved some of the gossamer vibraphone and glockenspiel elements). Crowd scenes, including clubs, parties and even the backlot of a movie studio, also provide great opportunities for discrete channelization. Dialogue is also rendered cleanly on this problem free and very enjoyable track."

so definitely pretty good audio wise on the discs this one :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 5 years later...

digging this old thread up...

... one of my all time favourite movies and finally got to watch with daughter on 4k uhd and she loved it as well. wife joined us towards the end and went back and watched quite a bit of beginning again ! 

lovely shot ..film based which suits its classic musical style.. and audio is IMPECCABLE ..what a stunning sound track. in picture its pumping with colours.. beautifully and naturally ..some gorgeous scenes and very vibrant in a technicolour kind of way, few screen shots below watching with our jvc projector...  excuse the film grain given its film basis..

025A0727.thumb.JPG.b9182ea382bc0fb2ecb56b4d42ad37de.JPG

025A0730.thumb.JPG.9c7d3c1f609c8a73f7d3b77ec6fdc87f.JPG

025A0731.thumb.JPG.a294c0effbf3a669a7c507419da9703b.JPG

025A0734.thumb.JPG.a681f97ebb94202edff4ecba7fb1063b.JPG

025A0735.thumb.JPG.ee313c6f14566695aebd6a01829bc219.JPG

025A0738.thumb.JPG.4d15226414fdb499a8e68116a390be0a.JPG

025A0739.thumb.JPG.276b9aba348377663a7b2141c1492c57.JPG

025A0740.thumb.JPG.23ac92ee2a62685ef38e7bb87fd564f8.JPG

025A0743.thumb.JPG.5ba3272a8cb3e35ce4436c820816ae72.JPG

city of stars....

025A0746.thumb.JPG.e2ef5aa64070048536f42d9b24cfcebd.JPG

025A0747.thumb.JPG.57f835fe3efa24658772a67531601f08.JPG

Edited by betty boop
  • Like 2

Something I punched out the moment I left the cinema years  ago…

I won’t be writing my usual wordy review, not because La La Land doesn’t deserve it, but because I am afraid dissecting and deconstructing it will shrink what feels limitless in my mind to just a bite-sized nugget.

What an incredible film! So much feels. Just lovely. A rhapsody of jazz, dreams, song, love and good old magic. So good I just want to twinkle-step home to make whoopie!!

All through the last act it is cliché and maudlin done with razzle and dazzle. It reminded me so much of Jacques Demy, albeit with a more understated colour scheme. The fluid cinematography, combining with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone’s third screen couplehood, elevates the story to a magical level. Right up until the ending of the third act it is a 4/5 movie, but by golly, when it hits a bittersweet flourish of an epilogue, it sashayed right into the 5/5 territory.

I started typing this on a packed MRT to the office and you know what? I see everything around me with the music of last night. I can just believe somehow somewhere every person in the train is going to burst into a song and dance number.

If Whiplash announced Damien Chazelle’s name to the world, La La Land is sending him straight to the stars.

• Like 1