Best Power Amplifier: Introducing Reality Audio class (post Hi-Fi)

I would like to introduce new Reality Audio RE-AU or, another word, Reality Fidelity Re-Fi class/concept which would refer to the very top audio experience – post Hi-Fi.

The idea of Reality Audio class came to my mind for the first time when I had opportunity to listen to a demo of Cymer Audio “Southern Cross SE-35” power amplifier (I have NO connection with this maker or audio business, also I hardly do any posts in forums) and later bought this truly extraordinary tube amplifier designed and manufactured by Mr. Elson De Silva. The was the only amplifier I have ever heard which you can call Reality Audio.

The sound was coming from this amplifier is overwhelming, the closest approximation of live music which I have ever heard. The sound is so good that you feel there is no need to analyze it. If you leave the room and listen, you could SWEAR that the band is playing in the other room because the sound is so natural and realistic.

I would describe the sound as natural, big, thick, clear, highly detailed with excellent sound stage, soft, but not muddy at all, equally good throughout the sound spectrum, warm, and easy to listen many hours without getting tired or annoyed. In my experience, the sound is as good as it gets.

My audiophile journey has been over 12 years long and now I feel that my journey is finished as I am perfectly happy with Cymer Audio “Southern Star SE-35” sound.

During my journey, I have had 9 amplifiers.

Every time I upgraded power amplifier, I have compared the current and new one, in my home:

1. In succession one after another

2. Simultaneously side-by-side, connecting 1 speaker to each amplifier

3. With tube amplifiers, I listened simultaneously using non-inductive resistance load for idle channel

Usually I did my complex comparison tests alone. Often, especially when I had doubts, I invited audiophile friends to listen blindly, who usually arrived to the same conclusions as I. Most of amps I had were tube, except for Denon, Redgum and Orpheus.

With tube amplifiers, before listening tests, I always upgraded to the best tubes available on the market, regardless of price.

Once I finished listening tests, I kept the superior amplifier and sold the inferior one.

I used different high-end speakers in the past. Current speakers are Tannoy “Kensington”, ranked as no.1 by Mr. Patrick Turner of Turner Audio. Current source is Oppo BDP-105D Blu-ray player/HDD player/streamer with in-built Sabre reference pre-amplifier.

This list is in chronological order. My retrospective rating on a scale of 1 to 10 (as you can see, price has little do to with rating):

Denon PMA-1500AE (Japan) – good entry level amplifier, everything OK. 6/10

Jungson DA-88Ti (China) – superior to Denon and Redgum, clearer voice and bigger sound. 7/10

Redgum Rgi60 (Australia) – similar to Denon. 6/10

Orpheus “Two and Three” (Switzerland) – probably the clearest and most pleasant voice of all I heard, however, sound is small, a bit like radio. Rated 9-10 for speech (in films) reproduction, otherwise 8/10

Transcendent “Son of the Beast” OTL type (USA) – clean sound, but not engaging. 6-7/10

Melody “Astro Black 300B” (China) – natural sound, but muddy. Rated 8 only with Russian metal 1578 tubes, otherwise 6-7/10

Ayon “Crossfire” (Austria). Clean, but skinny, not natural sound. Sound was worse than upgraded Melody's. 7/10

Euphony “Mary Ann” (Japan). Nice all around, but need very sensitive 96+db speakers. 7-8/10

Cymer Audio “Southern Cross SE-35” (Australia). Closest to natural sound. 10/10 (as reference point)

Now I am very skeptical about big names and award winning amplifiers.

I am skeptical even about forums because some audiophiles are hypnotized by price (“you get what you paid, mate”), too emotional and, sadly, can't be bothered to do simple blind listening test.

I hope there will be more amplifiers in Reality Audio class which I have just introduced, but sound, produced by Southern Cross SE-35 (which i have over one year), killed my desire to explore any further.

Edited by Vladas
  • Like 3

Post hi-fi? Please, please, please tell me this ridiculous post whatever term that seems to have become the buzzword of the day (post truth for heavens sake) isn't going to now be applied to hi-fi. If so then I'm going to go and live in a cave. With my hi-fi.

Whatever next? Hi-fi gate?

• Like 4

@Vladas Welcome and nice first post. Getting closer to a "live musical experience" is what it's all about.

Read nothing but good reports about the Cymer's, only had a brief listen to one of Elson's creations many years ago. Would love to experience your Amps at some stage.:)

I believe you will get even closer to "Reality" with a much better source and Pre-Amp than the Oppo 105.

Interested to know $$$ of the SE-35's.

4 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Good to see new members joining with a passion for hi-fi (as opposed to just wanting to sell stuff)

Agreed. It is a refreshing change.

What I am less enamoured of, is the supposedly new term of Reality Audio. It is actually nothing of the sort. It was a decent report on various amplifiers from an owner's perspective and I do like the OP's obvious enthusiasm but there is no new term or class here.

It may well be the best amplifier the OP has heard or used and I like the passion, but new ground has not been broken and precisely what post hi fi means is anybody's guess.

Thanks for a very nice intro and I am glad you are having fun:):thumb:

Edited by rantan
  • Like 4

Guest scumbag

7.jpg

9.jpg

It's a SET design so that's good start. Edgar Kramer seems to thinks it's OK:

" The more music played, the further and farther the voyage of discovery became. The SE-35 presents an unimpeded portal into micro detail and otherwise buried low-level minutiae in a totally cohesive and music-enhancing way........

In every area of sonic performance this amplifier not only astonished critically and intellectually. It completely satisfied on a pleasurable emotional level. It exceeded my expectations for what an amplifier can do within my system irrespective of technology and power rating (NuForce Reference 9 V3 Special Edition monoblocks are stable mates). It sings with a voice that mimics 3D reality. It’s built to last, an absolute bargain, as quiet as any solid-state design measured ear to tweeter. Its industrial simplicity is visually stunning. And it’s the best damn all-round performer I’ve ever heard in my system. Period. "

Should be worth a listen!

Edited by scumbag

Guest scumbag

But, I think you need to listen more amp's before you decry that this is some new class of amplifier. At least listen to more SET amps. 

Obviously they are the best sounding Power Amplifiers the OP has experienced and I like the enthusiasm shown, but I think the OP should just leave it at that i.e. the best they have personally owned. Certainly if they are as good as claimed I would be feeding them with much higher quality components upstream. IME the Oppo 105 is a long way from "reality."

Without getting too pedantic, the sound you were hearing was from your speakers.

Maybe their amazing potential was being held back by the amplifier.

Maybe you just achieved a good match of components.

You would have to hear your amp in other systems to know you have found "amplifier perfection".

I've been trying too for about 40 years

Cymer Audio “Southern Cross SE-35” (Australia). Closest to natural sound. 10/10 (as reference point)

Nice looking amp design from an adopted Aussie designer. Great first post by the way with a pitch and hook any marketing exec would  kill for.  Noice one mate.

5.jpg

"12AT7, 12AY7 or 12AU7 drive a 45 which in turn drives a choke (no interstage transformer to avoid reducing dynamic range) and then the large and rather pretty 13E1"

The 45 is great DHT. The main driving tube is that 13E1 which is something Ive never seen but its data sheet says its designed as a low impedance beam pentode suitable for running as a triode but doubt it would be directly heated. As usual the DIYaudio guys have been quietly using it for ages:

14.jpg

By the way youse Aussie bustards posting with your bloody negativity and tall puppy syndrome can go furk your selfs

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nada said:

Nice looking amp design from an adopted Aussie designer. Great first post by the way with a pitch and hook any marketing exec would  kill for.  Noice one mate.

5.jpg

"12AT7, 12AY7 or 12AU7 drive a 45 which in turn drives a choke (no interstage transformer to avoid reducing dynamic range) and then the large and rather pretty 13E1"

The 45 is great DHT. The main driving tube is that 13E1 which is something Ive never seen but its data sheet says its designed as a low impedance beam pentode suitable for running as a triode but doubt it would be directly heated. As usual the DIYaudio guys have been quietly using it for ages:

14.jpg

By the way youse Aussie bustards posting with your bloody negativity and tall puppy syndrome can go furk your selfs

I think Elson doesn't use 45 anymore...?

• 3 months later...

I have just bought a Concert Fidelity cf080lsx Line Stage Preamp to replace my Shindo Labs Giscours Pre.  The sound is much better with the Cymer se-35 Southern Star Mono amps, a definite upgrade. 

I am tube rolling the Pre. at the moment and have used Mazda 12au7 and Amperex Bugle Boys 12au7 will now continue with Mullard, RCA and Phillips SQ.

what tubes can anyone recommend for the Cymer?

Edited by chelseadave