TAD CE-1 & Accuphase A70 or P7300

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at making the move to separates from my beloved Accuphase E460 integrated. Given my familiarity and admiration of the brand I've decided to stick with Accuphase when making the move to separates.

I've decided on an Accuphase C2820 preamp and am now looking at which power-amp to invest in. As much as I'd like a pair of A200 mono-blocks I'm afraid I can't quite stretch the budget that far. As such I'm looking at Accuphase's stereo amplifier offerings, namely the Accuphase P7300 or A70, specs below:

P7300

Stereo operation 800 watts per channel into 1 ohm

(both channels driven) 500 watts per channel into 2 ohms

250 watts per channel into 4 ohms

125 watts per channel into 8 ohms

Damping Factor 1,000

A70

Stereo operation 480 watts per channel into 1 ohm

(both channels driven) 240 watts per channel into 2 ohms

120 watts per channel into 4 ohms

60 watts per channel into 8 ohms

Damping Factor 800

My preference is to go with the A70 as I've always wanted to try an Accuphase class A amplifier however I'm worried that my speakers would be a poor match and that at moderate to above average listening levels I'll drive the amp to clip. The specs of my speakers are as follows:

TAD CE-1

3 Way Bass Reflex

Frequency response: 34Hz to 100kHz

Crossover frequencies: 250Hz, 2kHz

Maximum input: 200W

Sensitivity: 85dB (2.83V, 1m)

Nominal impedance: 4?

We're knocking down and rebuilding and I'll get my first dedicated listening room ever. Unfortunately the room is relatively small i.e. 3.0M x 3.5M. I was hoping a combination of a small room plus the legendarily underrated Accuphase power specifications would mean going with an A70 run as a stereo amp would be enough. I'd love to hear your thoughts re: any flaws in my logic.

Cheers,

GS

Edited by Galactic Soap
  • Like 1

Is it worth considering the new E-X70 range. Supposed to be a step up from the the E-X60 amps? Been lurking here (SNA) awhile now and many seem to be reducing boxes, are you sure you want more? 

There is a pretty sweet sounding E-270 with a Reed Muse TT and Franco Serblin speakers on Analog Planet. A short video to listen to too. 

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/wrap-it-ill-take-it-system-reed-accuphase-and-franco-serblin#7hOjLSMA72lcKJWZ.97

Edited by SPR08Y

2 hours ago, SPR08Y said:

Is it worth considering the new E-X70 range. Supposed to be a step up from the the E-X60 amps? Been lurking here (SNA) awhile now and many seem to be reducing boxes, are you sure you want more? 

There is a pretty sweet sounding E-270 with a Reed Muse TT and Franco Serblin speakers on Analog Planet. A short video to listen to too. 

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/wrap-it-ill-take-it-system-reed-accuphase-and-franco-serblin#7hOjLSMA72lcKJWZ.97

Thanks for the link! :)

RE: I listened to the E470 recently and compared it to my E460 and I genuinely couldn't here too much of a difference. 

With Class A amps I've heard that the 30W Accuphase E600 Class A integrated sounds more powerful than the 180W Class AB equivalent. I'm wondering if class A's capacity to exert more control on a set of speakers would see the 60W class A A70 stereo amp be the right match for my inefficient and hard to drive TAD CE-1's.

The Luxman L590AX2 is meant to have 30wpc in class A but it also has an additional 65 watts in class A/B that the company doesn't think to be worthy of mention.  And the amp sounds much larger than even the combination of those wattage figures would indicate.  

I imagine the "class A" Accuphase would work/present similarly in that the class A watts don't tell the entire story.

• 6 months later...

2 hours ago, stereo_lurker said:

Cafad, is there anywhere this is documented either officially or unofficially for Luxman or Accuphase? I've possibly heard this from some sales staff also, but may have been confused with information overload.

Not officially that I'm aware of.  I read of this in a magazine test for the Luxman L590AXII, check it out in the link below.  And as I have previously said I am only assuming the Accuphase amps are the same, I don't actually have any proof.  At least not yet.

http://www.stereofil.no/file/andre/luxman_l590axii_hfw.pdf

Edited by Cafad

Good read, thanks. I'm surprised the manufacturers don't make it explicit since a lot of customers wanting to dip their toe in Class A would be more reassured to know there's more headroom in a separate class. 

I've also heard it stated on forums about Accuphase. See this post on a Accuphase A47 Class A 45W power amp thread.

• 2 weeks later...