Im converted - speaker cables make a difference

Oh yeah. It makes a difference alright imo. I used Osborn cables for a while and just wasn't enjoying the music. I moved my speakers around, changed interconnects but couldn't work it out. 

Then I read about using RG213U cable as speaker cable. I had nothing to lose some order it and made it up. Pluged it in and wow. Everything tightened up the sound was warmer....heaven.

It's a bit time consuming unraveling the outer wire and fitting banana plugs, but it's worth it.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/RG213-50-OHM-COAX-CABLE-UHF-CB-RADIO-COMMUNICATION-SCANNER-PER-MTR-WILL-CUT-/360454749628?nav=SEARCH

Did you use the outer shield for the negative leg. I've read the post , thread, instructions but as yet haven't ventured down the path yet. At the moment I'm using some heavy duty cable's in the clockwise anti clockwise method and they sound pretty good. Meanwhile my $1000 Mit 12 Matrix's sit waiting to be re employed. Also thinking about adding silver plated Teflon coated to my home made 3 M twisted pair. Any thoughts ?

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

Kimber 12 TC are great whilst being true to the source. They are not anaemic like a lot of cable's ( read Chord cable's ). Whilst I sold my pair kinda regret it now. I like Mit cable's as well, but they tend to be a bit bass heavy on balance which suited my Maggie's 1.7's at the time.
Chord rumours put me to sleep ,like I had warm milk a sleeping pill and a soft pillow. Anyone who thinks cable's don't make a difference IMO is a flat earth denier.

3 hours ago, DEANO23 said:

Did you use the outer shield for the negative leg. I've read the post , thread, instructions but as yet haven't ventured down the path yet. At the moment I'm using some heavy duty cable's in the clockwise anti clockwise method and they sound pretty good. Meanwhile my $1000 Mit 12 Matrix's sit waiting to be re employed. Also thinking about adding silver plated Teflon coated to my home made 3 M twisted pair. Any thoughts ?

Hi @DEANO23. Yeah I used the outer for negative. Give the RG213/U's a try. doesn't cost much and I was pleasantly surprised. They are a stiff cable so keep that in mind. make the inner wire about 2 inches shorter than the outer. It makes them easier to plug in :)

Edited by blakey72
  • Like 1

@Zaphod Beeblebrox

i don't really care about DNM cables, never heard them, probably never will. I have my cables sorted. XLO reference 5a speaker cables, they go very nicely with my unsheilded XLO balanced interconnects and my XLO ref 3 power cable.

I really like that you are trying save people money by not buying stupidly expensive cables, because you are better off treating rooms and spending money on speakers etc.

Its the way that you come across on the forums, having sly little digs at people, bagging them indirectly. You told SETSergio that his speakers cables are faulty, you implied that his amps must be faulty. All of this without knowing what his system comprises or ever listening to it. I'm not sure how you can comment under these conditions.

You are forever telling people that they need to hear new gear in their own system before buying. I'm sure that SETSergio has and that is why he has picked the components that he has, because they sound the best in his room and system.

Please keep posting mate, I do appreciate the passion you display and your technical knowledge. I just think you should think about how you come across on the forums.

Cheers Dave 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with such an approach, given the complexities of an audio system. However, when using such an approach, it is very important to have a frame of reference. Inserting a distortion generating item (in this case, speaker cables), one can never know if the system is accurate or not. 

Do speaker cables cause distortion? I suppose so if they manipulate the freq. response or cause phase problems but then they are not well designed?.

1 minute ago, Pops110 said:

@Zaphod Beeblebrox

i don't really care about DNM cables, never heard them, probably never will. I have my cables sorted. XLO reference 5a speaker cables, they go very nicely with my unsheilded XLO balanced interconnects and my XLO ref 3 power cable.

I really like that you are trying save people money by not buying stupidly expensive cables, because you are better off treating rooms and spending money on speakers etc.

Its the way that you come across on the forums, having sly little digs at people, bagging them indirectly. You told SETSergio that his speakers cables are faulty, you implied that his amps must be faulty. All of this without knowing what his system comprises or ever listening to it. I'm not sure how you can comment under these conditions.

You are forever telling people that they need to hear new gear in their own system before buying. I'm sure that SETSergio has and that is why he has picked the components that he has, because they sound the best in his room and system.

Please keep posting mate, I do appreciate the passion you display and your technical knowledge. I just think you should think about how you come across on the forums.

Cheers Dave 

I have heard DNM speaker cables , interconnects , pre amps and power amps and found that while the speaker cables were far from universally applicable, in the right system the upside far outweighed the down side. When used with high efficiency speakers and low power amps the sound was delightful on jazz , vocals and acoustic stuff , hard rock lovers need not apply :).

At the same time the DNM arrived, Cyrus and Musical Fidelity  ,also marketed heavier duty solid core speaker cable which worked  on a wider range of equipment.

The DNM pre's offered exceptional sound quality imho. The power amps were beguiling but way underpowered for anything less than v.high efficiency speakers or low listening levels. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ozcall said:

I have heard DNM speaker cables , interconnects , pre amps and power amps and found that while the speaker cables were far from universally applicable, in the right system the upside far outweighed the down side. When used with high efficiency speakers and low power amps the sound was delightful on jazz , vocals and acoustic stuff , hard rock lovers need not apply :).

You just summed up my system Gordon, 8 W SET into 95 db 8 ohm speakers

and I love to listen jazz , vocals and live music.

Great feedback....:thumb:

Edited by BobbyD

11 hours ago, Hensa said:

LOL - Ironic post of the year, surely. The best example I've yet seen of outright condescension comes in the form of a quote defining "condescending"! That is gold!emoji3.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hehe cracked me up as well.  Wish I could double like your post!!

11 hours ago, Full Range said:

I am a 50 / 25 / 25 % guy

Very important to use the measuring tools / equipment available 

Crazy not to look at, and fix room problems 

Equaly important is to have the human element as the ear likes what it likes 

I agree.  I think though that some people's unwillingness to acknowledge expectation bias and psychoacoustic impact can send them down a path of wasteful and unnecessary spending.

Cold, hard reality is that our perceptions are heavily biased by what we think, what we think we know, and what we expect.

14 hours ago, POV said:

I agree.  I think though that some people's unwillingness to acknowledge expectation bias and psychoacoustic impact can send them down a path of wasteful and unnecessary spending.

Cold, hard reality is that our perceptions are heavily biased by what we think, what we think we know, and what we expect.

I freaking love my Nordost Valhalla's.

• Like 3

In all seriousness, the topic of cables has come up may times before, and I'm sure will continue to do so.

This is a link to a previous thread where some comparisons were made between a number of different cables ( mostly sensibly priced)  using @johnmath's cable switching device. There's also a fair bit of technical information in that thread about the various properties of different cables, which may be of interest to the OP.

3 hours ago, POV said:

Um....ok.

Have you tried any such cables?

Very expensive and come with double helpings of expectation bias and psychoacoustic impact, but they really rock. Just saying.

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Very expensive and come with double helpings of expectation bias and psychoacoustic impact, but they really rock. Just saying.

Mmmmmmm I love double helpings of expectation bias.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I've listened to (and, more importantly MEASURED) some Nordost cables. Some measure very well indeed. They sound pretty damned good too. Not altogether surprising, given the low inductance and low resistance of some variants. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darren69 said:

I haven't ever tried a Nordost cable, nor have I ever commented on one and I have no idea why you are linking my post to your satisfaction  with a Nordost product.

Edited by POV

9 hours ago, POV said:

I haven't ever tried a Nordost cable, nor have I ever commented on one and I have no idea why you are linking my post to your satisfaction  with a Nordost product.

99.9% of SNA-ers on here who bring up expectation bias and psychoacoustic impact et al are usually ones who have never tried uber expensive speaker cables/IC's and take that route of poo-poohing such cables instead of trying them first and then poo poohing them/loving them/whatever. One should never die wondering.

It seems I have picked the 0.1% who wasn't, please forgive me. :D

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 2