Peachtree/Parasound/Rotel.

Hi all, 

I'm contemplating (STILL, for those that have been watching my other posts) a few different options of amplifier for my hopefully soon to be purchased new system.  

Peachtree NOVA 300 and

Rotel RA1592

are two of the integrated amps that I am looking at.  Which would you choose and why?  They are in a similar price point and offer similar features, but also offer totally different amplifier sections.

I have ruled out the new Denon PMA2500NE as it doesn't have pre outs.  There is also the option of the Parasound Halo which although a price point above, if it really is THAT much better, I will be able to stretch the budget.  I have also dabbled with the idea of the Arcam SR250, though I don't think I would use a lot of the functionality it has to offer, so it wouldn't be a worthwhile investment.

Thanks for all the information and feedback so far and also for the patience.  I am hoping to post something positive (as in a showcase of the new system) sooner rather than later.

Tim.

depends on the "system" i guess ? we are not privy ....

keep in mind overseas likes of parasound play in the same space as nad and rotel, its just here they are about 50% ? more ? dont just go on price.

depends what your chasing in the end ....

what specifically are you chasing in an amp ? 

46 minutes ago, Timos said:

Hi all, 

I'm contemplating (STILL, for those that have been watching my other posts) a few different options of amplifier for my hopefully soon to be purchased new system.  

Peachtree NOVA 300 and

Rotel RA1592

are two of the integrated amps that I am looking at.  Which would you choose and why?  They are in a similar price point and offer similar features, but also offer totally different amplifier sections.

I have ruled out the new Denon PMA2500NE as it doesn't have pre outs.  There is also the option of the Parasound Halo which although a price point above, if it really is THAT much better, I will be able to stretch the budget.  I have also dabbled with the idea of the Arcam SR250, though I don't think I would use a lot of the functionality it has to offer, so it wouldn't be a worthwhile investment.

Thanks for all the information and feedback so far and also for the patience.  I am hoping to post something positive (as in a showcase of the new system) sooner rather than later.

Tim.

First thing I would do would be to contact the closest local stockists of those three amps and see which ones will allow a test drive in your own home.

If no-one, then at least try and go to them with some reference music and have a listen. It's not ideal as it wont be in your room, through your system but it's better than going in blind.

I have owned both Peachtree and Parasound but have not heard the big Peachtree's, is the ICE module class D? The Sabre dacs are gorgeous as are the Parasound dacs, both quite similar really. I absolutely love my Parasound stuff.

I don't know anything about Rotel but if you get set on one but cant get a listen locally, contact Gav and Jared at Coffs Coast Audio, they'll look after you.

http://www.localsearch.com.au/profile/coffs-coast-audio/nsw/coffs-coast-clarence-valley/coffs-harbour/E805

Guest rogerthat

Get this one: It has pre out, DAC and phono and is far superior to all mentioned so far or anything around that price. Made in Canada and built like a tank too:

I have done a heap of research on the new Peachtree's and there are some excellent reviews out there. The Peachtree is the most feature packed of all of them and has true DAC and not just an after thought like most do.

I am trying to sell some reasonbly new gear just to get one.

I was excited about that moon but only a 16/48 usb dac ended that.

+1 for the Parasound. While I don't have experience with the Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier I have listened the Parasound P5 and A21 combination and was very impressed by the sound quality it gave for the money. Parasound equipment is also typically feature packed.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, J1N80Y said:

+1 for the Parasound. While I don't have experience with the Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier I have listened the Parasound P5 and A21 combination and was very impressed by the sound quality it gave for the money. Parasound equipment is also typically feature packed.

All Parasound gear is very impressive, well designed, great quality ( both build and sound ) and several orders of magnitude better than any  Rotel or NAD or Denon. The Peachtree is very versatile and feature laden and if you like the Class D sound,which is basically clean and powerful, that might be worth exploring

1 minute ago, rantan said:

All Parasound gear is very impressive, well designed, great quality ( both build and sound )

Hence why I got excited when one reviewer of the new Peachtree had a Halo Integrated and he took the Halo back and kept the peachtree.

I am not sure to whom you were referring but for my part, I never stated ( and don't think ) that Rotel is by any means bad. The Parasound Halo is simply better, as it damn well should be, for the price asked.

FWIW, I think Rotel gear  is very high value for money and way better than Nad, Marantz etc.

It's all relative

1 minute ago, rantan said:

All Parasound gear is very impressive, well designed, great quality ( both build and sound ) and several orders of magnitude better than any  Rotel or NAD or Denon. The Peachtree is very versatile and feature laden and if you like the Class D sound,which is basically clean and powerful, that might be worth exploring

rantan that is a very wide sweeping statement. I would respectfully disagree. there are multiple of layers of parasound product. the classic line for instance is VERY basic bread and water (butter is a luxury) kind of product. I'd peg it below anything nad makes for instance or rotel for that matter. the halo stuff goes up, but so does nad and rotel gear as you go up in price. the parasound cost us twice here than overseas so in actual fact you can do very well nad or rotel vs parasound in the same price point. 

its a but much to dispense rotel and nad particularly, nad for instance makes some pretty special gear these days quite upmarket actually and you pay for the privilege. they moved up quite a few steps quite some years ago with the master series. the nad m3 as super integrated for instead I would happily peg against any other pretenders and can tell you parasound for instance has nothing in that sort of realm.

the peach tree my experience of it will not be everyones cup of tea...more so than say nad or rotel or parasound for that matter. hence the good suggestions already here to demo... 

@rantan but still, there's something to it, and I want to know exactly what it is. 

Id love to place 2 JC1's instead of my 1581's, same everything else, and just see how much better they are. 

And if I do ever get to melbs for a hi-fi show, I'd love to bring 2 1581 monos, and they are rated at 500 watts and retail for 6k a pair, to see how they really go with other speakers than what I use. Now I'm fully aware that Rotel don't do to well with 4ohm loads or lower, but with speakers that they are well capable of driving, just what other people think of them. I'm still to my knowledge, the only one here who has owned them, so they are a untested amp here, sure they are Rotel, and people may have a clue what they can do, but they havnt actually used them. 

Now if they indeed are useless and I'm there to see the proof first hand, I'll sell them and get better. But in my system, they are running a pair of bookshelves that are cut off at 80hz, so these amps are way well in there comfort zone, so how would they perform compared to any other amp in my system that aren't even working to a 1/4 of their capacity. 

Edited by Sime

23 minutes ago, Sime said:

thanks for the offer, but a multichannel amp will never be on the cards. 

I was only joking, I think you are pretty sweet.That is one main thing that I have learnt here, take all advice and recommendations with a pinch of salt because it is very likely that the person making them hasn't even had any experience with them.

With all the products I have had over the last 2 years I think I have built up a pretty good listening experience database.

1 minute ago, powerav said:

That is one main thing that I have learnt here, take all advice and recommendations with a pinch of salt because it is very likely that the person making them hasn't even had any experience with them.

Why would you say or think that?

I cannot answer for anyone else but I never comment on any gear I have not heard. What would be the point exactly?

4 minutes ago, rantan said:

Why would you say or think that?

I cannot answer for anyone else but I never comment on any gear I have not heard. What would be the point exactly?

It was general comment but also have to wary that this is a commercial forum and some people may have commercial interest as well.