Plasma Calibration

3 minutes ago, falcongtho1968 said:

Thanks Kaynin, will check them out. Can you remember if it was expensive?

For a $500 tv?  Yes, very. 

For a $2,500 plasma or $RRP6,000 projector, nope, well worth it...

Around $400 for a TV and $500 for the projector...I think - pretty close to there.

1 minute ago, falcongtho1968 said:

Thanks Kaynin, will check them out. Can you remember if it was expensive?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

$450 from memory. MIght've gone up since then. That was for 2D and 3D. 2D by itself was $400

fwiw, i wouldn't bother on the UT50. I umm'ed and ahh'd on my ST50, but decided to do it. The UT50 doesn't have white balance control like the ST and I don't think it gets as much of a performance lift after calibration like the ST (a calibrated ST is as good as a stock VT in my view, obviously a calibrated VT is better again).

*edit - actually apparently the UT's white balance can be accessed in service menus. so maybe it's worth it. Still, I paid $2800 for my tv and umm'd and ahh'd. I reckon if you plugged in my settings you'd probably get close for free. ;)

Edited by Juicester
  • Like 1

I have to agree, $400 is more expensive than I thought it would be. I realize that the UT50A is Plasma and about 4 years old, but it is barely used and I'm not ready to move to a newer more up to date set yet.
Any help with settings would be appreciated. But aren't there a lot of variables that will affect the display? Also, should I assume that the ST50 is Panasonic. And if so, is it Plasma or LED?
Thanks.

1 minute ago, falcongtho1968 said:

I have to agree, $400 is more expensive than I thought it would be. I realize that the UT50A is Plasma and about 4 years old, but it is barely used and I'm not ready to move to a newer more up to date set yet.
Any help with settings would be appreciated. But aren't there a lot of variables that will affect the display? Also, should I assume that the ST50 is Panasonic. And if so, is it Plasma or LED?
Thanks.

the avical prices are listed on their website, its a lot more than $400 ! 

The THX app works quite well on an IPhone - not as good as a professional adjustment of course.  I got the app for free, not sure what/if it costs today.

The Spears and Munsill Blu-ray set-up disc is a better set-up disc, but you need a Blu-ray and to find someone with the set-up disc.  It came with earlier release OPPO's as an included disc.

Benje

1 hour ago, falcongtho1968 said:

Question: Do any TVs come calibrated from the factory?

some come pretty close with some tweaking. eg with my pio kuro (last gen) I was suggested a few settings by a calibrator that got pretty close to a calibration once had done some basic setup and calibration. on a epson projector the THX preset (also with some basic setup and calibration_ on lowest lamp was about as close to a calibration as could get to....as realised when calibrated and compared back and forth :) 

many displays can look pretty decent even with some basic setup/calibration. eg as benje suggested the THX with its brightness, contrast and color setting which have used myself on came for free on THX dvds/blu-rays eg star wars and say the incredibles. 

should do the basics regardless of whether getting a calibration done professionally or not in my opinion :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benje said:

The THX app works quite well on an IPhone - not as good as a professional adjustment of course.  I got the app for free, not sure what/if it costs today.

The Spears and Munsill Blu-ray set-up disc is a better set-up disc, but you need a Blu-ray and to find someone with the set-up disc.  It came with earlier release OPPO's as an included disc.

Benje

definitely spears and munsil,

apart from the THX optimiser thrown in as freebie on the THX DVD and blu-rays mentioned I myself use WOW Disney disc,

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Disney-WOW-World-of-Wonder-Blu-ray/40292/

its region free so best bought from likes of eBay, theres one going for $14.50 last looked...

• Like 1

On ?18?/?01?/?2017 at 3:47 PM, Juicester said:

fwiw, i wouldn't bother on the UT50. I umm'ed and ahh'd on my ST50, but decided to do it. The UT50 doesn't have white balance control like the ST and I don't think it gets as much of a performance lift after calibration like the ST (a calibrated ST is as good as a stock VT in my view, obviously a calibrated VT is better again).

*edit - actually apparently the UT's white balance can be accessed in service menus. so maybe it's worth it. Still, I paid $2800 for my tv and umm'd and ahh'd. I reckon if you plugged in my settings you'd probably get close for free. ;)

I paid $1700 for one of my panels and I still got it calibrated.  There is a lot more you get can out of these sets provided,  they are good panels and the panels themselves have good calibration control, or you have an external  video processor that have better calibration control.  The cheap Samsung D8000 with Lumagen Mini after calibration looked a lot better than a $3000 UHD TV.

• Like 1

@al

Spears and Munsil is available on Amazon for a reasonable price.

With regards to the Disney Disk, which one to buy as it looks like there are different versions e.g. Hometheatre and then a HD one. The latter is double the price.

Please

15 hours ago, Jventer said:

@al

Spears and Munsil is available on Amazon for a reasonable price.

With regards to the Disney Disk, which one to buy as it looks like there are different versions e.g. Hometheatre and then a HD one. The latter is double the price.

Please

the blu-ray of the wow disney is the one to go for. or the spears and munsil. both will achieve same end. the disney one does help you quite a long though and gives some great options from beginner to professional so can be quite handy if getting started in this sort of thing. :)