Smart Appliances...and there hiccups

I've seen air conditioners, fridges, washing machines etc etc all having wifi to connect to the internet and there will be an app on your phone.  I just bought a LG fridge that has self diagnostics that comes with a LG app so you can connect up to tell you what's wrong and they will tell you what to do.   Even the printers I work on have what we called AMES, where we can go to a server in Japan type in the serial number and if that device has been given clearance to access this feature by the client we can tell what service codes are recorded, how many paper jams have occurred and at what location and time of the day, the life cycle of all wear and tear items and the life left.   We can also tell the % of CMYK toner that left in the cartridges, how many cartideges have been used, the number of impressions that also breaks down to paper size, duplex, hole punched, staples etc etc.  we can dial this up!   It also tells us all the firmware currently loaded on the device and what the new versions are.    This enable us to be prepared before we go on site.  Very helpful but.....

sometimes it can be frustrating as one lady finds out that all she wanted was some chilled water from the fridge: 

http://www.9news.com.au/technology/2017/01/17/07/19/smart-fridge-goes-viral-after-update-leaves-owner-thirsty

• Like 2

Agreed that smart homes are not smart home at all. I work as at a large club as a maintenance electrician and the main things that give me grief is anything that is automated such the HVAC and Cbus systems, the funny thing is that you call the experts out when it really goes to poo and they have no idea either. 

Just think about this. Is it really easier to turn on a light from a standard light switch or an app on a phone? Even all this new voice recognition is rubbish, never work properly. i saw something funny on the Today show when they were doing a story on the last series of the block when they had voice recognition in the house, the host tried to say "make coffee" 3 times! and it didn't work so the product guy had to make over and say "m-a-k-e c-o-f-f-e-e" in a deep voice. Just put a pod in machine and press a button.

Hehe,

when you worked on printers for 30 yrs, you realised to keep everything as simple as possible...hence the KISS principle.  

Id rather pay for a product without the smarts feature that I know works well than one with the smarts.....   I don't need a printer to tell me in a sexy female voice to say "tray 2 is now empty, please load tray 2 with the designated media....".  

Good luck to ones who decide to have full electrical home automation.  If there's a power blackout, you can't switch anything on/off!     

Having things connected to the wifi or the internet introduces a whole new world of possible hacking, even though it's a simple device like the refrigerator or an air conditioner.  Wouldn't like to go home on a sticking hot day and someone hacked into air conditioning who turned the heater on just for fun! 

And with retina or fingerprint recognition technology are features I will never used, you can't change these unique bio  identification security  features if someone hacked in and steel these unique bioidentification data, but at least you can change any alpha numeric passcode! 

• Like 1

• Administrator
On 19/01/2017 at 9:13 AM, powerav said:

Agreed that smart homes are not smart home at all. I work as at a large club as a maintenance electrician and the main things that give me grief is anything that is automated such the HVAC and Cbus systems, the funny thing is that you call the experts out when it really goes to poo and they have no idea either. 

Just think about this. Is it really easier to turn on a light from a standard light switch or an app on a phone? Even all this new voice recognition is rubbish, never work properly. i saw something funny on the Today show when they were doing a story on the last series of the block when they had voice recognition in the house, the host tried to say "make coffee" 3 times! and it didn't work so the product guy had to make over and say "m-a-k-e c-o-f-f-e-e" in a deep voice. Just put a pod in machine and press a button.

My house is full of smart lights. They work perfect.

My house utilises voice control, it's almost flawless.

My lights/locks/music/coffee machine (in the kitchen) is turned on by me using voice from my office each day. Awesome.

Just sayin' .... it can work.

And on The Block, they were not using the wake word, 'Alexa'. Obviously no instruction was given and they deliberately edited it that way.

Hell, if my 5 year old daughter can use it ....

But I do recall a period of transition between ISPs last year that resulted in 2-3 days downtime. Yes, house pretty much stopped functioning and it made me realise that it's actually far worse than having simple switched devices and no automation when you lose power/cloud connectivity.