NBN wifi routers

Should point out there's some very good stuff out there (particularly on access points and routers) that isn't hyper expensive and performs extremely well in homes... it just isn't uber easy to setup for the uninitiated. It's not enterprise grade but there are shades of grey between 'consumer' and 'enterprise'. L2 switches are more than enough for home use and don't pass $500/24 ports, and often much less.

Check out Mikrotik if you're interested - pretty good stuff.

• 1 month later...

What annoys me is that after many hours researching which modem / router would be the best fit....I bought an ASUS DSL-AC68u.

I then connected it & tried to configure & it wouldn't connect, over 3 hours later after speaking to ASUS & Optus technical support it turns out you need to log a case with Optus to "unlock the port" so the connection isn't looking for a specific MAC address?? Does that sound right? I've not had this conversation with Optus due to below!

x2 days after connecting to the NBN our phone line drops out....another x3 hours on the phone it turns out it is supposed to stop as all phone when switching over to the NBN is via VioP! & you need to use their modem!!

Aaaaahhhhh, at no point did Optus point this out & whilst I don't really care as long as it works (providing we have power!!), I now can't use the ASUS $290 modem/router I bought as it doesn't have VoIP.

There is so much misinformation out there at the moment it makes it really challenging to make informed decisions!

I know I can still use the ASUS but just as a router but that's not the point; if I was told all this I would have bought a more suitable modem/router with VoIP or just a router!

Not happy Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat mate. Just got nbn connected today via cable and the modem router my isp supply is crap. I had a TP Link Archer D7 on adsl2 and even though it was a fantastic modem router it just was not reliable. It was changed twice. Lucky i got a replacement VR600 under warranty but now its useless unless i use it as just a router. My ISP wont give me my user / password - mac address so i can use the VR600 instead of the crappy Netcomm.

Currently I'm getting 3mbps download and 18 uploads on a 50/20.... go figure.... they're looking into it. Nbn is not what its all hyped up to be unless you are on fiber to the premises or close to the node.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

x2 days after connecting to the NBN our phone line drops out....another x3 hours on the phone it turns out it is supposed to stop as all phone when switching over to the NBN is via VioP! & you need to use their modem!!

Aaaaahhhhh, at no point did Optus point this out & whilst I don't really care as long as it works (providing we have power!!), I now can't use the ASUS $290 modem/router I bought as it doesn't have VoIP.

Yep, plenty of misinformation about with this.  Ahhhh VOIP, I canned it years ago.  Unfortunately many of the top routers don't support it.  We went for a fibre phone instead, but I don't think that's available to you...  :(

Update,

I've decided to use my ISP's router as my main nbn connection which has a htpc connected via lan and a TP Link VR600 as a WDS bridge using another htpc pc. Works great. No wifi dead zones and can have devices at either router like a nas or external hdd that can be networked to any pc.

On 17/01/2017 at 11:36 AM, Ralph said:

The cable speed of 100Mbs is way more that the same as what the NBN can provide.

Fixed it for you Ralph   ;)

On 17/01/2017 at 6:12 PM, Sean84 said:

I saw mentions of NBN modems here but from memory you only need a router right? 

For FTTP (ie. Tassie) .... Yes, you only need a router .... and if the ISP requires it, a router which can make a PPPoE connection.

For FTTN, you need a VDSL2 compatible modem (also needs to be NBN approved).

On 18/01/2017 at 0:28 AM, DMax said:

I thought with nbn you only need a router as the modem will be installed by technicians from telstra or nbn to a wall inside of the house. They will wire the fibre cable from the outside box to the inside box (modem). Well, at least that's how it is at our place :)

See above.

On 18/01/2017 at 0:36 AM, WhakPak said:

You need a modem, and this is likely supplied by the ISP. As I said earlier, this modem might also do the 4 basic functions of modem/router/access point/switch.

For FTTH NBN you don't need a "modem".

You can simply plug a computer right into the NBN termination box, no modem, no router, nothing.     Many ISPs require a PPP connection ....  which most people will use a little router to do.

For FTTN.   You need a VDSL2, NBN compatible modem.

Edited by davewantsmoore
  • Like 1

On 27/02/2017 at 8:29 PM, mattjtaylor2809 said:

It's good you realise that this is Optus fault  (rather than blaming NBN) ... as this is often misunderstood  :thumb:

.... both the communication aspect, and the requirement to use the Optus modem.

I then connected it & tried to configure & it wouldn't connect, over 3 hours later after speaking to ASUS & Optus technical support it turns out you need to log a case with Optus to "unlock the port" so the connection isn't looking for a specific MAC address?? Does that sound right? I've not had this conversation with Optus due to below!

It could be .... although them taking 3 hours would cast doubt on that  (I'd expect them to be right on it, if that were the case).

Edited by davewantsmoore

On 27/02/2017 at 9:00 PM, Kaynin said:

Yep, plenty of misinformation about with this.  Ahhhh VOIP, I canned it years ago.  Unfortunately many of the top routers don't support it.  We went for a fibre phone instead, but I don't think that's available to you...  :(

The fibre phone is VoIP as well.

The difference is that the VoIP interface is running inside the NBN supplied box  (as opposed to inside the box you or your ISP supplied)  .... and that the NBN implementation of VoIP costs more to retailers to provide (hence more expensive for customers) ... and offers some increased features.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

The fibre phone is VoIP as well.

The difference is that the VoIP interface is running inside the NBN supplied box  (as opposed to inside the box you or your ISP supplied)  .... and that the NBN implementation of VoIP costs more to retailers to provide (hence more expensive for customers) ... and offers some increased features.

True, sounds right to me Dave.

On 3/1/2017 at 5:37 PM, davewantsmoore said:

For FTTP (ie. Tassie) .... Yes, you only need a router .... and if the ISP requires it, a router which can make a PPPoE connection.

See above.

You can simply plug a computer right into the NBN termination box, no modem, no router, nothing.     Many ISPs require a PPP connection ....  which most people will use a little router to do.

Thanks, this explains why I able to just plug my Airport Extreme directly into the NBN box, when I was in Hobart.

In this case (FTTP), I know you don't NEED to have a router. Like you said, you can just plug your computer directly into the NBN box. But when I had NBN in Tassie, I read somewhere that best practice is still to have a router, for added security (firewall), which is why I used my Airport Extreme. Do you think have a router between the computer and NBN box is best? Or is Win 10 or MacOS security typically enough?

Cheers

58 minutes ago, Sean84 said:

you can just plug your computer directly into the NBN box.

Depending on your ISP, you might require some config on your computer... but yes.

1 hour ago, Sean84 said:

Do you think have a router between the computer and NBN box is best? Or is Win 10 or MacOS security typically enough?

Purely from a security perspective .... a router adds an extra layer which can help a little bit against common attacks and common bad security practises.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 5:37 PM, davewantsmoore said:

See above.

Quick followup - what about FTTC, rolling out next year? Does that only need a router or NBN VDSL2 modem?

Telstra is kicking me off the cable and pushing me to the NBN. I am already getting 100+ mb/s on the cable. I'm worried whether I'll get same performance on the NBN. Anyway.... what's the best way to get uniform performance around the house? Multiple routers?

1 hour ago, Saxon Hall said:

What NBN are you getting? I presume you are currently on HFC.If so then good luck getting that speed with anything other than full fibre to the home.

Incorrect.

FTTdp (FTTC) with HFC into the home will support all current NBN speed tiers, and will support multi gigabit speeds in the future.

Incorrect.

FTTdp (FTTC) with HFC into the home will support all current NBN speed tiers, and will support multi gigabit speeds in the future.

He is getting his HFC disconnected from what I gather, so I am not clear on what you mean.

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

What I mean is that not correct to infer the NBN delivered over coaxial cable will not deliver speeds available via "full fibre"

It will deliver all the speeds currently available on the NBN, and in the future it will be capable of delivering multi-gigabit speeds.

This is the case whether the HFC is Telstra or Optus .... although the deployment is slightly different for each.

• Telstra.    Network stays similar to what it is today (which can support all NBN speeds up to 100/40).    In near future "DOCSIS" upgrades will enable multi gigabit speeds.
  • Optus.    The network is being decomissioned.    Fibre will be deployed in the street  (called FTTdp... or FTTC) .... and the connection from the street to the house will reuse the existing coaxial cabling.    This will support all current and future contemplated NBN speeds.

43 minutes ago, Saxon Hall said:

He is getting his HFC disconnected from what I gather, so I am not clear on what you mean.

Oh.  Perhaps now I understand what you mean (apologies).

No.  His HFC doesn't get disconnected....  it just gets migrated to be part of the NBN.

Telsta cable.... continues to operate as a 'cable network' .... supports all NBN speeds + gigabit by next year

Optus cable .... fibre to the street ....  HFC tail into the house .... supports all NBN speeds  (including gigabit now)