Saw this tonight, not my usual cup of tea and i cant stand Nicole Kidman she'd over act taking a dump). 

Good movie tho, tidy acting by the main star, both young and old. Story is pretty straight forward and to the point almost doco style and not alot of scmalz either. 

moves slowly but doesnt seem to drag tho, get your tissues handy if taking wifeys. 

something different 3.5 stars 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

went in with no expectations to this and loved it. Beautiful cinematography, music, acting and a wonderful story. The little kid and his brother had such natural talent. Very deserving of all the accolades it has received thus far. Dare I say it the best Australian movie I have seen, and one of the best movies of the last few years.

• Like 2

Lion: best reviewed in two halves

first half set in India, couldn't fault it, superb acting and cinematography

* * * * 1/2

second half set in Australia then return to India

* * * 1/2

Nicole and David are rather annoying, saved by Dev Patel absolutely nailing the Australian accent.

Stay for the end credits you'll need a towel instead of tissues.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ?2?/?2?/?2017 at 10:12 AM, Hydrology said:

went in with no expectations to this and loved it. Beautiful cinematography, music, acting and a wonderful story. The little kid and his brother had such natural talent. Very deserving of all the accolades it has received thus far. Dare I say it the best Australian movie I have seen, and one of the best movies of the last few years.

Couldn't put it much better, absolutely thoroughly enjoyed it, the beauty of Tassie and India along with a gorgeous soundtrack and incredible story, just brilliant, you owe it to yourself to experience this at the theatre while you can.

Saw previews for this at the same time and might give it a go tomorrow to escape the heat a bit as well. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4846340/

Edited by Darren69

• 2 weeks later...
Lion: best reviewed in two halves
first half set in India, couldn't fault it, superb acting and cinematography
* * * * 1/2
second half set in Australia then return to India
* * * 1/2
Nicole and David are rather annoying, saved by Dev Patel absolutely nailing the Australian accent.
Stay for the end credits you'll need a towel instead of tissues.

Agree, Dev Patels accent was bang on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I almost need tissues too.

My 4 year old wouldn't last 2 days on the streets let alone 2 months.

As others have mentioned, the chemistry between Guduu & Saroo as young boys was so believable. It took my wife and I a few days to recover, and we immediately starting thinking about whether we should starting adopting an army of Indian kids. 80,000 missing kids every year... just unbelievably tragic.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

we watched it last night on blu-ray,

211878-L-HI.jpg

curiously the blu-ray version has the theatrical edition on disc one and an australian extended edition on disc 2

ofcourse we watched the aussie extended edition,

WOW

what a movie...right from the opening. that scene with the train heading in the tunnel sure had us thinking oh Sh!t ! and it seems to go that way in a lot of ways has a you thinking. amazing story i thought and way told ! 

the little kid is amazing too. hardly says much and doesnt need to...

and oh yeah the ending.

comes up particularly well picture wise on the blu-ray too some stunning scenery and scenes.... and audio wise it really is VERY good too... so many scenes if have 3D audio setup neural -X really makes for such a room filling experience...eg the sceneson the street or in the bush and the birds and atmosphere of goings on all around you.  

we are so lucky to be enjoying films like this. and some very talented folks no doubt behind to bring to us....

• Like 2