Best DAC and bang for buck

Goodaye all

Got the best sound the PC will do with on board sound so the next step is external DAC.

Very confused after searching online, for something.

Also on a limited budget at this stage.

So any thoughts or recomendations?

Saw Dragonfly and JDS O dac

regards Bruce

40 minutes ago, WhakPak said:

you're probably better off sticking with the PC on-board sound.

Nah, that really is terrible. I even had to a little Dragonfly Black on my PC for the workshop system, so much better.

• Like 1

Budget?

Dragonfly Red, as mentioned, is a great budget option (<$300). Schiit Audio 'Modi Uber' and Modi Multibit' are similarly priced and also very good pieces of kit (less portable, though).

Arcam irDAC, Chord Mojo (portable), Schiit Bifrost Multibit and @Gieseler Audio's Klein DAC would probably be your next step up ($700-$1000) for a noticeable improvement.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhakPak said:

He said he's taken the PC sound as far as it can go. That is probably pretty good, as good as or better than what a budget DAC would bring to the party.

He's said he's 'got the best sound the pc will do with on board sound'.

We don't even know if that involves a dedicated sound card, or only the on-board integrated motherboard sound. 

If it's the former, there are plenty of cheap dacs that best most decent sound cards IMHO (even the hifimediy ES9018K2M equipped USB dac at around $100 delivered is a cracker). If it's the latter, game over.  

Goodaye all

Have 2 cards Sound Blaster  5.1 VX and Creative ALC889 HD based one which is the one that sounds the best.

Used to run Midi through anther SB that that died.

After fidling with the Creative a few hours it sounds really good, but the question is can get better or would l expect better.

The Midi has gone over to the backup machine cant remember but l thinks a older high end Sound blaster.

regards Bruce

Thanks for the clarification!

In my opinion, you can better those two sound cards with the right external dac. The affordable hifimediy that I mentioned earlier is a good thing for not a lot of dollars. 

This is the DAC I'm suggesting:

http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/Sabre-9018-DAC

A review here (needs translating via google): 

http://www.lydogbilde.no/test/hi-fi/hifime-sabre-9018-usb-dac

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 1

I had the Dragonfly red and this HRT Microstreamer the Dragonfly got sold after some weeks of listening and comparing to both excellent little DAC I still have it and enjoy it whenever I use it.

Just my 2c worth

8.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BATMAQN said:

I had the Dragonfly red and this HRT Microstreamer the Dragonfly got sold after some weeks of listening and comparing to both excellent little DAC I still have it and enjoy it whenever I use it.

Just my 2c worth

8.png

Nice - I've been impressed with the HRT USB DACs in the past! Great value for money IMHO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BATMAQN said:

Just my 2c worth

8.png

I've had one of these for a few years and it never disappoints. Use it to listen at work, driving a pair of Audio Technica ATH-ESW9's, although I understand it can drive much more difficult cans than the AT's.

• Like 1

Goodaye all

After much time on the net l have settled for one of these as starters

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/7

Posted for less than $50

Reviews and owner responses all seem to be positive for it.

Later on it could end up on the garage system and some thing more up market if l am unhappy.

l'll be using optical in

Will let you know how it goes, The DS-920's should be making noise this weekend.

Certanley starting to look the part.

regards Bruce

36 minutes ago, sloper said:

I was going to suggest Fiio but was in fear of getting shot down (not expensive enough). I was more thinking the E10 or E17. My E10 I had was streaks better than a NAD 1050 that was 4 times the price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sloper said:

Goodaye all

Posted for less than $50

Reviews and owner responses all seem to be positive for it.

Later on it could end up on the garage system and some thing more up market if l am unhappy.

l'll be using optical in

Will let you know how it goes, The DS-920's should be making noise this weekend.

Certanley starting to look the part.

regards Bruce

My first DAC was one of these, a few years ago now, they work fine for the price.  

On 13/01/2017 at 0:30 AM, BATMAQN said:

Just my 2c worth

8.png

Mine died after 2 years

Goodaye all

Got the FiiO Taishan  an hour ago, Wow, best $50 l ever spent on audio gear.

Really lifted the detail in the recordings.

The DS 920's have about 30hrs on them now and seem to have settled in.

regards Bruce

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't compromise. get a desktop DAC with its own power supply. Preferably get one with balanced output (for speakers and for headphones) like a TEAC UD-301 or a Cambridge Audio DAC MAGIC or Audiolab M-DAC+   and then get a pair of active speakers (budget wise, Yamaha HS5 should be considered entry level). 

• Volunteer
25 minutes ago, mcclane said:

I wouldn't compromise. get a desktop DAC with its own power supply. Preferably get one with balanced output (for speakers and for headphones) like a TEAC UD-301 or a Cambridge Audio DAC MAGIC or Audiolab M-DAC+   and then get a pair of active speakers (budget wise, Yamaha HS5 should be considered entry level). 

??

he's already bought something