rockpig

Mobile Fidelity inner sleeve problem - replacement suggestions?

jamesg11   

Can someone deliver the news on why there's this ongoing hate-mail - albeit wry & all - re mofi sleeves, leaving aside the documented hiccup? What'd I miss?

Hergest   
17 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Can someone deliver the news on why there's this ongoing hate-mail - albeit wry & all - re mofi sleeves, leaving aside the documented hiccup? What'd I miss?

Really they are just a pain in the arse to use and are overpriced for what they are. You have to remember that the sleeve is meant to be placed flat inside the MOFI foldable cardboard inner sleeve and then slid into the outer sleeve so you have a sleeve within a sleeve within a sleeve. They are fine in that case but if you try to use them just as a basic inner sleeve in which you place the record and then slide that (or try to slide that) into a standard outer sleeve the damn MOFI inner just scrunches up in a big lump at the corner. You can bend the corner over but then that sort of defeats the purpose of using a pricey inner sleeve such as this and you might as well use a flimsy U shaped inner sleeve that is a fraction of the price of a MOFI.

I think some of the irritation (although this might be just me) could be tiresome audiophiles on the net with their 8 lp boxsets with one track per side at 45 rpm on 220 gm vinyl always bang on about throwing out the original packing their wankfest box came in and replacing them with MOFI and they to a man fail to acknowledge that they are pretty ordinary.

Edited by Hergest

Hergest   
19 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Even when it's a mofi boxset?!

Ha! I don't know why but I imagine if Trump was an audiophile he would only ever listen to MOFI.

scuzzii   
7 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Ha! I don't know why but I imagine if Trump was an audiophile he would only ever listen to MOFI.

Because its an American supplier of Vinyl..??   America first right    :)   Hope they don't use any imports (material or labour).

Hergest   
3 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

Because its an American supplier of Vinyl..??   America first right    :)   Hope they don't use any imports (material or labour).

I was thinking more because it's populist and people lap it up without giving it a lot of thought. I've got some MOFIs  which are okay and some which are rubbish but there is a definite 'they can do no wrong' on some parts of the web.

*edit. I'm dragging this way off topic. Apologies.

Edited by Hergest

scuzzii   
Just now, Hergest said:

I was thinking more because it's populist and people lap it up without giving it a lot of thought. I've got some MOFIs  which are okay and some which are rubbish but there is a definite 'they can do no wrong' on some parts of the web.

Ahh, OK.  Missed that connection.

I have several MOFIs.

Some are excellent - really top notch (e.g Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms, Madeleine Peyroux - Bare Bones)

Some are bright - not worth the price  (e.g Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily)

I also collect Analogue Productions and Music Matters title (more recently).   But going off topic here..

rockpig   

I originally started buying the MoFi inner sleeves because I could get them very cheap with my large orders of records direct from the USA. This was back when the AUD was worth MORE than the USD. (was about $15AUD for 50 sleeves)

So purchased purely because it was cheap and convenient.

I agree with @Hergest they are a PITA if the jacket is a tight fit which is more of an issue with old records than new LPs which mostly have generous size jackets.

Due to the Mofi inners putting a residue on the records from that one bad batch, I swapped to using bulk standard round bottom poly bags and I think they are fine. Time will be the proof.

Have to say that every Mofi LP I have purchased I have never had any with a pressing issue. They are all flat, the hole is centred and I like the longer run in groove which gives you extra time to get settled in your listening chair before the music starts. As for SQ (EQ) the pressings since they re started doing LPs has been over all pretty consistent compared to many other labels in general. Not to say they may have some clangers.

I have many Speakers Corner records and like that they use a nice paper bag lined with poly, but would not go to the expense of buying them as replacements for plain paper inners. Not that much of an Audiophool. :P

Edited by spin33

4 hours ago, spin33 said:

I originally started buying the MoFi inner sleeves because I could get them very cheap with my large orders of records direct from the USA. This was back when the AUD was worth MORE than the USD. (was about $15AUD for 50 sleeves)

So purchased purely because it was cheap and convenient.

I agree with @Hergest they are a PITA if the jacket is a tight fit which is more of an issue with old records than new LPs which mostly have generous size jackets.

Due to the Mofi inners putting a residue on the records from that one bad batch, I swapped to using bulk standard round bottom poly bags and I think they are fine. Time will be the proof.

Have to say that every Mofi LP I have purchased I have never had any with a pressing issue. They are all flat, the hole is centred and I like the longer run in groove which gives you extra time to get settled in your listening chair before the music starts. As for SQ (EQ) the pressings since they re started doing LPs has been over all pretty consistent compared to many other labels in general. Not to say they may have some clangers.

I have many Speakers Corner records and like that they use a nice paper bag lined with poly, but would not go to the expense of buying them as replacements for plain paper inners. Not that much of an Audiophool. :P

ha ha.   some may say if you don't buy those easy to remove and insert covers33 polylined paper inners and use where appropriate - you may be an audioxxxx :D

Hergest and i have been buying them for 15 years and no doubt they are the best inner sleeves when the record does not have a lyric sheet so we may be biased.  Lyric Sheets are fine with el cheap U shaped poly sleeves.

cheers

Edited by Metamatic

rockpig   

I guess if someone uses the fancy inners in belief that they offer better protection that a cheap poly then they maybe an audioxxxx. 

But if fancy ones are purchased because they are nicer to use then that person prefers refinement and convenience. :thumb:

I'll admit the poly bags can be a bit fiddly when there are 2 records in non gatefold jacket, so the paper poly would be better so might have to get me some. :)