Mobile Fidelity inner sleeve problem - replacement suggestions?

And a typically speedy reply from Norman:

"Hey David

Well 100 would cost 30 quid if you ordered through the site. We'd do 'em for 27 quid if you wanted 100 though.

if you want to do that let me know and I'll ping over a 3 quid voucher so you can order 'em.

Cheers
Phil"

So that's now a little dearer than covers33 for 100, but I'm going to add these to a current order anyway. I like dealing with Norman and their shipping is very reasonable. These are black paper btw.
Edited by Dave O)))
  • Like 2

On 12/01/2017 at 10:33 AM, Metamatic said:

Interesting on the long Hoffman thread, people are going back and checking there records in mofi sleeves, and quite a few are exhibiting the similar issues.

Could you post a link to the thread pleae?

I bought some a few days ago...gulp

I was able to work out that I have purchased 6 packs of 50 MoFi sleeves (which is many more than I first though) and have about half a pack not used yet.

So in among about 900 albums there are at least 220 MoFi inner sleeves in use.

After checking through about 120 albums I have found 12 faulty MoFi sleeves and many MoFI sleeves that are OK.

So the good news is that it would seem out of the 6x50 packs (300 sleeves) I most likely only got one pack of 50 that is crook with these odds.

But the bad news is that nearly every record needs to be checked which means pulling from the shelf, removing from outer sleeve, then if MoFi sleeve is there, pull that out, pull the record out and examine under strong light. If effected I am putting a small coloured post-it sticker on the sleeve, repack record and back on shelf.

So once I have identified all the crook ones I can set up Spin Clean and wash those records and re-sleeve them in a couple of wash sessions.

The PITA is the checking part.

Here is a photo of what the faulty MoFi sleeves do to the record.

Difficult to get a photo as you need to get the light angle just right so you can see it.

If you look with the wrong light angle the record can look perfect.

The marking can be smudged if you rub it with a clean rag so it is some kind of residue.

Tried this in the run-out groove area.

If you then rub the inside of the sleeve you can just barely detect a slight greasy feel when compared to a non-effected sleeve.

MoFi-sleeve-fault.jpg

• Like 2

I am unable to say if they are the silver or yellow branded packs that have the issue.

I have used sleeves from both types of packaging and do not know which ones I used on what records.

All I can say is the last pack I have (which I purchased from Wyndham Audio Australia) is partly used yellow branded and they are OK which really tells us nothing.

The other 5 packs I purchased from Acoustic Sounds (mix of yellow and silver) in the USA along with large record orders in May 2013 and January, March, August and December 2014.

Quick scan seems the problem was in batches from around 2012? Maybe someone can confirm that.

I have a few packets, not sure when I bought them. I'm going to use a sleeve from each pack on a sacrificial lp and see what develops.

Any idea how long the "damage:" might take to appear?

Edited by Citroen

12 minutes ago, Citroen said:

Quick scan seems the problem was in batches from around 2012? Maybe someone can confirm that.

I have a few packets, not sure when I bought them. I'm going to use a sleeve from each pack on a sacrificial lp and see what develops.

Any idea how long the "damage:" might take to appear?

Mine are from 2013/2014

If you rub the inside, especially inside the top side (with arrows) it will feel just very slightly greasy when compared to a good sleeve.

It also seems that the effect is immediately detectable.

Put a record in the sleeve, then squeeze the sleeve between fingers and then look at record under good angled light and if the sleeve is faulty you should see a mark on the record were the pressure was applied. Ensure you look at various angles as it can hide in the wrong lighting.

Edited by spin33

Thanks. 

I think the problem batches were produced around 2012. I'm not sure when I bought mine, or what batch they are from.

Did your test and it looks OK. But will leave them in for a few days now.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2017 at 9:29 PM, Metamatic said:

anything that is treated and makes contact with vinyl records has a habit of transferring at some later stage

that would rule out all inner sleeves as they are all made from processed materials

or are there exotic ones made from unadulterated materials with which to gently caress your vinyl ?

:D

I have been using the "MA Recordings" inner sleeves for a few years, pricey yet effective:

http://www.marecordings.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=59&products_id=169&osCsid=7mvpqq1m7jj92gfb2vbtln72n7

Incredibly soft, don't appear to leave any marks or scratches, perhaps I am naive and wasting my money, I have tried the Nagaoka and the MOFI, I find the MA recordings superior.

Audiophile reference recordings in Melbourne sell them locally.

Edited by dmcl
Poor choice of word.
  • Like 1

I emailed Mofi about the issue and received a prompt positive response offering replacement sleeves.

Good news is the residue is safe for vinyl.

Problem with that is I have already purchased and used different sleeves to replace the faulty Mofi sleeves.

Wonder if they would be happy to send me something else to the same value...

Mofi-email.jpg

Edited by spin33

Wonder if they would be happy to send me something else to the same value...
Mofi-email.jpg

Possibly not if they discover that you were actively advocating on this forum that people avoid MOFI inners....

I must have got lucky as I've been using their inners for the last 6 or so years without having a problem..... touch wood![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Mofi told me the residue has been proven safe for vinyl, so I assume it has no effect on stylus.

It was only a batch of Mofi sleeves from around 2012 that where effected so if you like their sleeves it would be safe to buy them now.

This thread and other threads have plenty of suggestions of other sleeves to use. I opted for plain round bottom poly sleeves to replace the faulty Mofi ones.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Metamatic said:

Ha yeah... :D

Did you read on to find the comments that people thought the damage was causes by users not knowing how to remove a CD from a lift-lock case and that was the cause of the damage. I have many of these with some I got in the 80's and they are all perfect.

I thought the lift-lock was brilliant and should have been adopted as the standard instead of those stupid press on centre spines.

On 1/25/2017 at 0:20 PM, Hensa said:

Possibly not if they discover that you were actively advocating on this forum that people avoid MOFI inners....
I must have got lucky as I've been using their inners for the last 6 or so years without having a problem..... touch wood!emoji4.png

I don't think I advocated avoiding Mofi inners, I merely reported my findings.

Others may have done the advocating, but it was not me.

Mofi happily agreed to send me products of my choice to the value of $70USD instead of replacement inner sleeves.

So I have 2 Mofi records coming my way via their sister company Music Direct which should arrive any day now.

So that is over $100AUD worth inc shipping.

I think Mofi handled my complaint very well. I was polite when reporting the problem and they responded promptly with a fair solution.

I have purchased many Mofi products since the 80's and this couple of bags of faulty inner sleeves is the first time I have ever had a problem with their products.

So I see no reason to bag Mofi and they should be commended for their great service. (do I get the extra 50 bucks now? :P)

Edited by spin33
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spin33 said:

I don't think I advocated avoiding Mofi inners, I merely reported my findings.

Others may have done the advocating, but it was not me.

I was referring to this comment which I would suggest is advocating avoiding Mofi inners:

Well done on getting the good resolution though - I'm a big fan of MOFI as well, including their inner sleeves.

Edited by Hensa

3 minutes ago, spin33 said:

@Hensa Thanks for pointing that out to me. :) I had forgotten about that other thread.
I have edited that post with more information that I have since found out so that buyers know Mofi sleeves are OK except for that one bad batch. 

You whimp. Stick to your convictions :D       Greg can be very persuasive with common sense.:P

I am a loud and proud mofi record sleeve hater ;)

Edited by Metamatic
  • Like 1