rockpig

Mobile Fidelity inner sleeve problem - replacement suggestions?

rockpig   

I have discovered some Mobile Fidelity inner sleeves seem to be causing a greasy residue to form in a crinkled wavy pattern on my records.  (reflects the inner sleeve waviness)

Even the inside of the sleeve has a very slight greasy feel.

The records have been stored in a closed cabinet  for 1 to 2 years and records are all in Ultimate outer sleeves 5.0 which are very nice.

If I wash the effected record in my Spin Clean the crinkly marks can be removed. It is like a film on the record surface which you can smudge with your finger.

I am assuming if I leave the records as is, in time this residue may damage the record.

The MoFi inner sleeves were put on records that were purchased new that came in plain paper sleeves or on used records that had crappy or no inner sleeve.

All records were washed in the Spin Clean and completely dried before being put into the new MoFi inners.

At first I thought it may have been a reaction between any residue from the Spin Clean fluid and the MoFi sleeves, but as not all are effected this does not seem to be the case.

I purchased a bunch of these MoFi inner sleeves with records from the USA when the exchange rate was 1:1 so the sleeves were very cheap.

I chose these because of price (not as an audiofool buy) and have used over 100 of these and now face he big job of washing those effected records again :emot-bang: and fitting with a different sleeve.

Interestingly MoFi record albums that I purchased new that already have the same sleeves do not have this problem.

I searched the forum about sleeves marking records and of course found a similar issue being caused by PVC sleeves but not by MoFi sleeves.

Now to find some decent inner sleeves that will not cause me any more issues.
I do like the rounded bottom type that have a bit of weight to them so they are not floppy like the ones from the 70's.

Any suggestions on what to to buy and where from would be appreciated.

There is another thread that discusses record sleeves at length. I've just read through it all again and placed an order from sleeve city... disckeeper 2.0 & ultimate outer 2.5.  Shipping was expensive but I've always been happy with both those products

Quark   
14 minutes ago, spin33 said:

I have discovered some Mobile Fidelity inner sleeves seem to be causing a greasy residue to form in a crinkled wavy pattern on my records.  (reflects the inner sleeve waviness)

Even the inside of the sleeve has a very slight greasy feel.

The records have been stored in a closed cabinet  for 1 to 2 years and records are all in Ultimate outer sleeves 5.0 which are very nice.

If I wash the effected record in my Spin Clean the crinkly marks can be removed. It is like a film on the record surface which you can smudge with your finger.

I am assuming if I leave the records as is, in time this residue may damage the record.

The MoFi inner sleeves were put on records that were purchased new that came in plain paper sleeves or on used records that had crappy or no inner sleeve.

All records were washed in the Spin Clean and completely dried before being put into the new MoFi inners.

At first I thought it may have been a reaction between any residue from the Spin Clean fluid and the MoFi sleeves, but as not all are effected this does not seem to be the case.

I purchased a bunch of these MoFi inner sleeves with records from the USA when the exchange rate was 1:1 so the sleeves were very cheap.

I chose these because of price (not as an audiofool buy) and have used over 100 of these and now face he big job of washing those effected records again :emot-bang: and fitting with a different sleeve.

Interestingly MoFi record albums that I purchased new that already have the same sleeves do not have this problem.

I searched the forum about sleeves marking records and of course found a similar issue being caused by PVC sleeves but not by MoFi sleeves.

Now to find some decent inner sleeves that will not cause me any more issues.
I do like the rounded bottom type that have a bit of weight to them so they are not floppy like the ones from the 70's.

Any suggestions on what to to buy and where from would be appreciated.

There's a long thread over on the Hoffman forums where MoFi had several months production of these faulty sleeves.

I use these sleeves.

rockpig   
Just now, Quark said:

There's a long thread over on the Hoffman forums where MoFi had several months production of these faulty sleeves.

I use these sleeves.

Oh crap so I was just lucky enough to get a bunch of faulty ones.

I would have purchased bags of 50 or more at different times so that would explain why some are OK and some are not.

Quark   
1 minute ago, spin33 said:

Oh crap so I was just lucky enough to get a bunch of faulty ones.

I would have purchased bags of 50 or more at different times so that would explain why some are OK and some are not.

Sounds like your luck is about as good as mine...

rockpig   
2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sounds like your luck is about as good as mine...

So did you get some bad sleeves too?

Just reading that Hoffman thread...

Hergest   
14 minutes ago, spin33 said:

Found these 

GLIDE anti-static Round Bottom Inner LP Sleeves (25) 50um 50 micron anti-static treated High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) plastic $44 for 100

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/glide-anti-static-round-bottom-inner-lp-sleeves-25-50um/

He even offers a free sample before buying.

Those are okay especially if you keep the card inners so you still have something stiff to slide in and out of the outer sleeve. The problem with the sleeves you've linked to being that there's a real knack to getting them in the sleeve due to their thinness. You want the opening to the inner sleeve to be at the top when you slide it into the outer sleeve to form the extra dust barrier and stop the record sliding out when you pick up the album. You have to fold over the top corner when you slide it in to stop it all scrunching up in a mess.

My favourite of the lot is the poly lined paper sleeves which are  bit hard to find here but are the common type of sleeves in the UK. I buy them from the UK in big lots.

http://www.covers33.co.uk/shop/vinyl/record-paper-covers/12-white-paper-polylined-sleeve-pack-of-100/

rockpig   
13 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Those are okay especially if you keep the card inners so you still have something stiff to slide in and out of the outer sleeve. The problem with the sleeves you've linked to being that there's a real knack to getting them in the sleeve due to their thinness. You want the opening to the inner sleeve to be at the top when you slide it into the outer sleeve to form the extra dust barrier and stop the record sliding out when you pick up the album. You have to fold over the top corner when you slide it in to stop it all scrunching up in a mess.

My favourite of the lot is the poly lined paper sleeves which are  bit hard to find here but are the common type of sleeves in the UK. I buy them from the UK in big lots.

http://www.covers33.co.uk/shop/vinyl/record-paper-covers/12-white-paper-polylined-sleeve-pack-of-100/

I really like those poly paper lined sleeves, they are nice and I have many records that have come with that type as standard.

Speakers Corner records come in ones like that.

I usually slide the inner sleeve in with the opening to the top if it is a MoFi or poly paper type. If it just a poly I slide in with opening outwards. Does not really matter this way because I insert all albums in outer sleeves with printed spine to open end of outer sleeve so jacket opening end is inside the outer sleeve.

So the GLIDE ones would be OK but seems like they must be the very thin ones.

Hergest   
6 minutes ago, spin33 said:

I really like those poly paper lined sleeves, they are nice and I have many records that have come with that type as standard.

Speakers Corner records come in ones like that.

I usually slide the inner sleeve in with the opening to the top if it is a MoFi or poly paper type. If it just a poly I slide in with opening outwards. Does not really matter this way because I insert all albums in outer sleeves with printed spine to open end of outer sleeve so jacket opening end is inside the outer sleeve.

So the GLIDE ones would be OK but seems like they must be the very thin ones.

Yes. Briain at Decibel mentions that they replace the Nagaoka 102 which are very thin. I've come across some Australian albums that have the plastic inner sleeves like those linked to but one side is considerably thicker than the other so there's a nice stiffness to it which is good

Edited by Hergest

ABG   

14 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Yes. Brain at Decibel mentions that they replace the Nagaoka 102 which are very thin. I've come across some Australian albums that have the plastic inner sleeves like those linked to but one side is considerably thicker than the other so there's a nice stiffness to it which is good

The GLIDE inners are about twice the thickness of the Nagaoka.  They're similar to (if not the same as) the thicker inners that you mentioned.  I bought a couple of hundred to try them out and will be sticking with these in future.

Hergest   
1 minute ago, ABG said:

The GLIDE inners are about twice the thickness of the Nagaoka.  They're similar to (if not the same as) the thicker inners that you mentioned.  I bought a couple of hundred to try them out and will be sticking with these in future.

That's good to hear, the mention of being as thin as the Nagaokas put me off to be honest as they can be a real pain in the backside now and then.

Quark   
55 minutes ago, spin33 said:

So did you get some bad sleeves too?

Just reading that Hoffman thread...

No, just general things. :)

rockpig   
7 minutes ago, ABG said:

Good to know. I've emailed Brian asking him to send me a sample of one. If I like them I'll order 100 or so.

Spinn33,  sorry you got the crappy mofi sleeves.  make sure you clean all those lp's again with RCM.

I have been consistently warning people to not use those POS mofi sleeves for years.

simple el cheapo U shaped poly inners from ebay and alike work perfect for albums that have a cardboard lyric sheet.

those that only have the paper sleeves, as Hergest has mentioned - the poly lined paper sleeves from covers33 are the best you can buy - period.

cheers

rockpig   
1 minute ago, Metamatic said:

Spinn33,  sorry you got the crappy mofi sleeves.  make sure you clean all those lp's again with RCM.

I have been consistently warning people to not use those POS mofi sleeves for years.

simple el cheapo U shaped poly inners from ebay and alike work perfect for albums that have a cardboard lyric sheet.

those that only have the paper sleeves, as Hergest has mentioned - the poly lined paper sleeves from covers33 are the best you can buy - period.

cheers

Yeah, so looking forward to washing all those records AGAIN with my Spin Clean. F#$% it!

At least I have already tried washing a couple already and they come up perfect, so seems like any permanent damage has been avoided and the greasy crap comes off OK.

10 minutes ago, spin33 said:

Yeah, so looking forward to washing all those records AGAIN with my Spin Clean. F#$% it!

At least I have already tried washing a couple already and they come up perfect, so seems like any permanent damage has been avoided and the greasy crap comes off OK.

Be very careful with records pressed by RTI which come with a plastic inner.  This is generally in their premium offerings like the Dylan mono box set or the Friday music Elvis reissues.

These slightly cloudy plastic inners also tend to leech a greasy residue. Happened on the Dylan box set.

I replace these as soon as I buy them now.

As you have noticed, the residual seems to come off with an rcm.

Edited by Metamatic

rockpig   

Yeah, a while back I noticed some that came in a pinkish square very thick inner that were bad. Sort of greasy powdery feel and they were marking the records. When I discovered that I went through all records and ditched all that I could find. But sadly with MoFi's Doh!

Covers33 estimates shipping to NSW at 85 pounds, thats $140 AUD to ship a 100 pack of lined 12 inch  paper sleeves. That's a bit much???:unsure:

Edited by Blk plastic

rockpig   

Thanks guys.

Spoke to Brian at Decibel HiFi Brisbane and I ordered the GLIDE ones from him and will have them by the weekend.

Works out to 0.55c each delivered. Made in China but at least purchased from a local Aussie dealer.

Spin Clean party at my place this weekend! Woohoo!

Spinclean.jpg

28 minutes ago, Blk plastic said:

Covers33 estimates shipping to NSW at 85 pounds, thats $140 AUD to ship a 100 pack of lined 12 inch  paper sleeves. That's a bit much???:unsure:

group buy is the best option.       I will be doing that in a month or two as my 10 year supply is almost gone.

Hergest   

I ordered 500 paper/poly last June from Covers33 but rather than go through the website purchase I first emailed James the boss to ask. He said the cheapest he could ship 500 for was £45 which suited me. When I placed the order he reduced the price of the 500 sleeves to trade price without asking so it's worth doing a contact through the website first.

Caveat. The exchange rate since then is very, very much in our favour but there's every chance that UK postage might have skyrocketed. Still, it's worth finding out first.

Edit. Just found the invoice. 500 sleeves shipped was £120.75 total.

Edited by Hergest

Interesting on the long Hoffman thread, people are going back and checking there records in mofi sleeves, and quite a few are exhibiting the similar issues.

ABG   
2 hours ago, Metamatic said:

Interesting on the long Hoffman thread, people are going back and checking there records in mofi sleeves, and quite a few are exhibiting the similar issues.

Thanks Shane.  Something else for me to fret about.  Bastard. ;)

1 hour ago, ABG said:

Thanks Shane.  Something else for me to fret about.  Bastard. ;)

LOL.  if you had only listened ;)

good time to clean with the US and put new el cheapo sleeves in :thumb: