Anyone have opinions on the Bowers and Wilkins 800D3?

@joey_v

Mate. May I ask if you are presently happy with the overall sound of your system as it stands?

Of course there is always a better speaker, a better amp and better EQ and room treatments and if you chase the dragon continually you won't necessarily capture it. Why not just listen to what you have for a while, do the extra bass traps and take a deep breath

Sometimes time can give you a far better perspective.

This is absolutely not meant to be patronising and if it reads that way I apologise but taking a step back can work wonders

39 minutes ago, rantan said:

@joey_v

Mate. May I ask if you are presently happy with the overall sound of your system as it stands?

Of course there is always a better speaker, a better amp and better EQ and room treatments and if you chase the dragon continually you won't necessarily capture it. Why not just listen to what you have for a while, do the extra bass traps and take a deep breath

Sometimes time can give you a far better perspective.

This is absolutely not meant to be patronising and if it reads that way I apologise but taking a step back can work wonders

There's not much I don't like about the system, I think my system does things exceedingly well.  I think I might be missing that last ounce of bass and maybe if I got just a little bit more palpable vocals, I think that's pretty much the end for me.  

There is still a little bit of an imaging glare, but I think it's because I need to finish treating the ceiling (another first reflection point).  

Things snapped into place when I added my speaker cables a couple months back. 

Edited by joey_v

• Administrator

Agreed re the ceiling. IMO it was the single biggest improvement made by treating the room, as far as imaging goes (and usually the most neglected).
Followed by MSR Spring Traps (for bass issues). Pricey here in AU but much cheaper for you locally. Don't waste your money with other bass traps that do little to zero under 80Hz in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to have a very good listen to them whilst in Singapore.  

My take : very big soundstage with very precise instrument placement and phenomenal image.

BUT: I found them like pretty much all other high end B&W speakers, and thats like something is missing.  It's hard to explain but there just feels like they lack coherence...

IMHO you can do better for the money.

B&W has a certain tone to them that I love, and it's a sound that goes across all there speakers, that's why I've been with them since 94. 

Some disagree but I think room size is important because speakers need to be driven reasonably hard to bring their best. At that level I wonder if the 800s would be unbearable in a room that size. Unfortunately there is only one way to tell.
For those of you who auditioned the 800s - how big was the room?

8 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I heard the Diamonds a few years back at a Melbourne HiFi show. Myself and a mate felt they were the best speakers of the show.  

If I had to buy any speakers they would certainly be on the list. 

And you probably heard the 800D2 and these are supposed to be better.... I agree with your assessment, I think in a well controlled situation, these are superb transducers. 

8 hours ago, amdan said:

Some disagree but I think room size is important because speakers need to be driven reasonably hard to bring their best. At that level I wonder if the 800s would be unbearable in a room that size. Unfortunately there is only one way to tell.
For those of you who auditioned the 800s - how big was the room?

I listen typically 60db to 70db, I dont overload the room.  The reason why I stuck with the 802D3 is that these are superb at low level listening because of how clean they are.  I replaced these speakers with this (in my room):

802D2

Sonus faber Stradivari

Rockport Avior

What I love about owning a set of D3's is apart from the sound that I love, it's the fact that there's not many other places to go at this point, it's game over till the D4's. 

@powerav like I said, there's not "many" other places I could go, but that option is way to costly for a caravan, some might say I've already gone past that limit. 

And I'm a B&W guy through and through. 

Has anyone heard these bookshelf Utopias, are they worth the coin?

On 1/10/2017 at 5:46 PM, jamiebosco said:

Seems from Marc's post, if you're after a bit more bass, this does indeed seem like a no brainer.

I'd jump on the offer before the other party starts getting cold feet!

Hello my friend, 

Decision is still pending... we tried to get an audition this weekend but had a severe thunderstorm so I was cooped up at home..... 

will try again. 

• Like 2

Guest rogerthat

I agree with everyone else making 'room' comments. No way do those speakers suit that sized room. If anything you should be thinking of moving smaller, not larger. With your current speakers I hope you have massive, massive bass traps and significant room treatment coverage. Otherwise it is very likely you are not getting the bass you want because of the room mode suck-outs. Those 800s need a room at least twice the size of your room. I run Dyn c1 bookshelves in a properly treated room the same size as yours. Even the c1s need more space. 

If you can, try to get a listen to your current speakers at a dealer with a large (at least twice yours), properly treated room with music that you think is lacking bass.

Just trying to save you from chasing your tail. 

I posted and asked him about the specifics of his room and how he positioned the speakers. 

SBIR might be at play as he might not have addressed it.  Nor did he account for the standing waves in that particular room dimension.  His seat height would also have a play in vertical standing waves.  And he might not have treated the room. 

My room is heavily treated, I have researched room acoustics beyond what normal mortals though.