NAS

12 hours ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

The issue is that I'll need x2, the existing one to run the HT AMP, Aries Mini, Foxtel etc & a 2nd to run the Bridge in the PS Audio DSJ.

Can't you use a simple unmanaged network switch to turn your single network port into many?

One option is to use an old computer and just pile some HDDs into it and share them over the network. Its the same thing and a purpose built NAS.

Whatever you do DONT use Seagate drives. They're total rubbish. I've had more Seagate's die in NAS's than any other brand. WD Reds are very good, use those.

12 hours ago, Hippy said:

Whatever you do DONT use Seagate drives. They're total rubbish. I've had more Seagate's die in NAS's than any other brand. WD Reds are very good, use those.

They're not so bad - just use the right ones - have a few Seagate drives here going 5+ years on daily use, had WD's and Seagate's fail in even number throughout time.

You'll get a better warranty and more suitable firmware (at the least) with any manufacturer's NAS-spec drives. You won't get blazing random read/write speeds, because you don't need 'em. 

Just make sure to keep your NAS cool - thermal load will kill any drive quicker. 

35 minutes ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Please excuse my ignorance but may I ask what makes the Pakedge products better? is seems it will only stream @ 300 Mbps which doesn't seem that fast & it's 802.11n only?

Allegedly throughput, but for what they charge you'll do better calling a licensed cabler to hardwire the lot + decent router + decent smart switch + a few wireless access points + bonded NAS = happiness. 

14 hours ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Please excuse my ignorance but may I ask what makes the Pakedge products better? is seems it will only stream @ 300 Mbps which doesn't seem that fast & it's 802.11n only?

The current model Pakedge access point (WK-1) is $1,800 and it's the one I use, together with an access point management appliance. The Pakedge hardware is designed for latency sensitive high throughput AV applications. Your cheap consumer grade stuff is not. You get what you pay for.

Have another look on eBay, you'll find a W6C for sale in Australia. You'll also see a W7 and a new WK-1 there (all same seller).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302178021279?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302181033278?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302178163307?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

300 Mbps and 802.11n is plenty fast enough. With Pakedge you might even get close to that speed in real-life conditions. Consumer grade stuff wouldn't even get close to 300 Mbps in real life.

You've mention streaming via DirectStream Junior? Unless I'm mistaken the network interface on that is 10/100. The Pakedge wouldn't even break a sweat with that.

Edited by WhakPak

13 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

Allegedly throughput, but for what they charge you'll do better calling a licensed cabler to hardwire the lot + decent router + decent smart switch + a few wireless access points + bonded NAS = happiness. 

Correct. A new basic Pakedge system comprising router, managed switch and access point would cost about $6,000 + installation.

It doesn't matter how good your wifi is, a network cable link will always be better. Only use wifi when hard-wired is impractical.

Edited by WhakPak