WITHDRAWN OR RELISTED: E.O.I Monitor Audio Silver 5i

Item: Monitor Audio Silver 5i loudspeakers
Price: $595
Item Condition: Excellent for age. A few minor marks and very light scratches only.

Reason for selling: Clearing out the museum pieces.

Payment Method: Pick up/delivery- cash.   Happy to deliver FOC in Adelaide metro.  Bank transfer for interstate sales.

No original boxes but will take to Pack Send for an interstate sale (Buyer to arrange all details ) Freight at buyer's cost and risk

Extra Info: I really like these speakers and I am the original owner.

The quality of cabinets and drivers is stunning in these and they are from the era when Monitor Audio was still manufacturing in the UK.

This is EOI only because, if there is no interest at ( or within 10%) of the asking price, I won't waste anybody's time or my own.

Superb sound quality and surprising bass from a very compact form factor floor standing speaker

Pictures: To follow if there is interest. PM for any and all details

EDIT: photos added

20170107_173832.jpg

20170107_173933.jpg

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

I should add this:

Since this is a genuine EOI and people feel that my price is too high, I would appreciate any feedback on the topic. I am not saying I would accept 50% off this price, but if that is all they are worth then I can happily keep them and I need not waste your time. What I can say with 100% certainty is that these look almost new, are beautifully constructed and you would not find a better sounding ( or looking) speaker ( in this style ) for under $1.5K or higher

Thanks ( sincerely ):)

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

Love the Rega cdp off to the side(is it a Saturn or a silver Apollo?).

I didn't think you still had it Lindsay.(or is it an old pic perchance).

Curse the tyranny of distance, I'd love to hear these.

And a flexible price and approachable vendor...what more do you need! GLWTS. 

15 hours ago, Luc said:

Love the Rega cdp off to the side(is it a Saturn or a silver Apollo?).

I didn't think you still had it Lindsay.(or is it an old pic perchance).

Curse the tyranny of distance, I'd love to hear these.

And a flexible price and approachable vendor...what more do you need! GLWTS. 

Thanks mate.

The Rega is a Saturn model and I did once ( briefly ) consider selling it before I came to my senses.( it is in daily use now).

The pic is brand new, taken on the day of the listing. I am not sure that many people realise how very good these speakers really are. I might end up "doing a Saturn " and withdrawing them, but I want to see where this road goes as I am somewhat torn between head and heart with these.

I am also very unwilling to compromise to any great extent on the price, as most current speakers under $2K don't have this level of quality.

Sure, I may be biased, but anyone who heard and saw them would agree and these could form part of a very premium sounding system with a high quality amplifier driving them. I wouldn't mind betting that these would be similar to your Silverlines in form factor and with a huge surprise upon listening

They are unfailingly musical with the Luxman for example

Edited by rantan

5 hours ago, rantan said:

I wouldn't mind betting that these would be similar to your Silverlines in form factor and with a huge surprise upon listening

I'm an idiot for selling them for only a  few hundred dollars more than what your asking for these.

I miss them and I'd buy them back if I could.(how many members have been in this position eh).

What's the story behind the tweeters RT?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luc said:

I'm an idiot for selling them for only a  few hundred dollars more than what your asking for these.

I miss them and I'd buy them back if I could.(how many members have been in this position eh).

What's the story behind the tweeters RT?

This was one of the very early series that commenced using ceramic coated drivers and metal dome tweeters. The gold dome tweeter is an early ancestor of the one they use today and this range was the start of the evolutionary path for MA with this technology. These are when the company was owned by a guy names Mo Iqbal, who was a fanatic about cabinet construction and was one of the pioneers of ceramic/metal drivers in affordably priced speakers.

Pick up these babies and you can feel the quality, do the knock test and it's a very dull thud and the veneer matching is almost unsurpassed as well

6 minutes ago, Ozcall said:

I met Mo many times Lindsay and as you say he was fanatical about the finish of his speakers , he was also a real character who took great delight in his hobby and business.

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to meet Mo. I was working for the Oz distributor in the earliest days of MA here and have owned many different pairs of their speakers, but I don't think Mo ever came to Australia. If he did, it must have been after I finished up with Mike Bartlett