Multi arm turntables

All tonearms and cartridges produce different sound, also because there are different types of cartridges ie MC moving coil, LOMC low output moving coil, MM moving magnet & MI moving Iron

These all have different characteristics sound wise and so its beneficial if you listen to all types of music to have a tonearm and cartridge that best suits that type of music

Some people have many turntables for this purpose and some have one turntable with multiple arms both are individual preference

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Thanks Dino

I thought that must be the idea.

Thinking I might sample the waters....... The only thing that worries me is the fact that there's toooo many up-gradable items.

Get a better TT, then another arm, then another cartridge, then a better phono stage then.....

Where do you stop? When you're broke??

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nzlowie said:

Thinking I might sample the waters....... The only thing that worries me is the fact that there's toooo many up-gradable items.

Get a better TT, then another arm, then another cartridge, then a better phono stage then.....

Where do you stop? When you're broke??

Slippery slope my friend. Then you need to budget for vinyl, some of which can be bloody expensive. But in saying that the right TT, arm, cart and phono can be worth it. And of course the wrong setup will disappoint.

Another advantage of 2 arms or TT's would be mono and stereo pressings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loki65 said:

Slippery slope my friend.

Yea, understand this... probably why I haven't gone down this road! The amount I d**k around all the time I don't think I'd ever be happy.

Trouble is I only have a beer budget for hifi but want champaign results!

Hence the DIY all the time (admittedly I do kind enjoy DIY...) 

9 minutes ago, Deano_malaysia said:

Thats absolutely beautiful brother

Thanks Deano. It turned out well. Still puts a smile on my face to this day. 

I really should start on that arm though!

36 minutes ago, Deano_malaysia said:

Shaky how do you find the musical fidelity phono ?

PIcked up for a song and realistically the only phono I have used to any length so I don't really know any different. I did trial a few of the Slee phono stages @cheekyboy has in his loaner program a few years ago but a dim dark and distant memory now. It suits me though, versatile with its ability to switch between MM and MC. 

5 hours ago, nzlowie said:

Hi guys

Can someone please explain why I see two or three tone arms on some turntables?

Is it just so you can easily change between setups or something else??

Cheers

I have multiple arms so I can have one for normal use, one for mono, and one for not so pristine sounding vinyl so I don't wear down my good carts unnecessarily.

That's the rational reasoning anyhow!

But basically I just like to fiddle, swap, and experiment :) 

Aura 3 arms.jpg

• Like 5

My turntable might not qualify for a multi arm turntable. But it does, gives me the flexibility of changing the arm board, on the Basis Ovation t/t.

The Graham is set up for mono duties, and the VDH grasshopper lll, on the second wand. The Thales and Benz, is the tonearm l listen to mostly.

4977fa1c3a8e1b292f653930d8754082.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

• 5 months later...
My turntable might not qualify for a multi arm turntable. But it does, give me the flexibility of changing the arm board, on the Basis Ovation t/t.

The Graham is set up for mono duties, and the VDH grasshopper lll, on the second wand. The Thales and Benz, is the tonearm l listen to mostly.

4977fa1c3a8e1b292f653930d8754082.jpg