Is DVD/Blu Ray dead?

53 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Like a few of the posts have reiterated....  the NBN itself does not have any congestion - and will not for the foreseeable future (decade?!).     It is completely about what your retailer does with the traffic.

...unless you are unfortunate enough to be stuck with SkyMuster although they deal with congestion by limiting monthly downloads to something barely useable (no more than 30GB/month)

• Your available speeds will go up
  • You will have a choice from all retailers
  • The price will likely stay approximately the same for a similar speed service  (but you will have the option to purchase either faster or slower services)
  • The way the network is arranged will change - currently you "share the wire" with your neighbors  (so there can possibly be local congestion on the network depending on your neighbors usage patterns), to a scenario where the service delivered to you isn't fundamentally tied to what your neighbors do
  • The service delivered to you will depend on your retailer.     The NBN is faster and more reliable than your existing network.    If you stick to a "premium" provider - and pay the cost, then you should have no worries at all

Thanks for that update.
Although I've been pretty happy going from adsl2 to Cable over a year ago. Virtually no drop outs large data usage and with two adult sons, that's been great. Every thing I've wanted previously from the internet. Although at a cost.
Now If the NBN is perhaps better but the other some competition that will be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Kensell21 said:

Now If the NBN is perhaps better but the other some competition that will be even better.

Your cable internet is around 100mbps speed download, but with very limited upload speed.      When it is converted to the NBN, there is a product offered on the NBN with the same available download speed, but it has a much much faster upload speed.      Depending on which retailer you choose, the price for that will be the around the same or lower than your existing internet .....  but if you do choose to pay less, you should expect to receive a worse service   (ie. your provider won't send you all the available speed all the time)

3 hours ago, proftournesol said:

...unless you are unfortunate enough to be stuck with SkyMuster although they deal with congestion by limiting monthly downloads to something barely useable (no more than 30GB/month)

Yes. I neglected satellite... where there is contention   .....   The limit is 30gb per month peak, and 150gb non-peak times, one would hope that these will be eventually removed, and let retailers have free management ..... although, you will have to $PAY$ for it.

I guess it doesn't make people feel any better to know that Australia has spent the most on Satellite internet  (>4x more per premises than FTTP, before even the 3rd satellite is contemplated), offers the fastest speeds, and retails them at the lowest prices (on the planet)  ?!?

2 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Yes. I neglected satellite... where there is contention   .....   The limit is 30gb per month peak, and 150gb non-peak times

Although that might not be quite right, depending on how others on that retailer behave.

Usage during Peak hours cannot exceed more than 75Gb in any rolling 4 weeks period.
Usage during Peak and Offpeak hours combined cannot exceed more than 150Gb in any rolling 4 weeks period.
All RSPs must limit the average of customers Peak hour usage to no more than 30Gb download and 5Gb upload in any rolling 4 weeks period.

I'm happy enough with Netflix, HD movies, TV series and Docos in 5.1 and sometimes DD plus. For something you watch once it's all I need, unlike music or music concerts which are heard and watched multiple times.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Your cable internet is around 100mbps speed download, but with very limited upload speed.      When it is converted to the NBN, there is a product offered on the NBN with the same available download speed, but it has a much much faster upload speed.      Depending on which retailer you choose, the price for that will be the around the same or lower than your existing internet .....  but if you do choose to pay less, you should expect to receive a worse service   (ie. your provider won't send you all the available speed all the time)

You might be able to answer my question then, are the NBN taking over the cable network (Telstra/Fox) or will their service come via their new network they are laying out?? 

26 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Yes. I neglected satellite... where there is contention   .....   The limit is 30gb per month peak, and 150gb non-peak times, one would hope that these will be eventually removed, and let retailers have free management ..... although, you will have to $PAY$ for it.

I guess it doesn't make people feel any better to know that Australia has spent the most on Satellite internet  (>4x more per premises than FTTP, before even the 3rd satellite is contemplated), offers the fastest speeds, and retails them at the lowest prices (on the planet)  ?!?

I'll wait for the SpaceX satellites are launched, it'll probably happen before SkyMuster becomes useable - $50 p/m gives you 30GB (up & down) + an additional 40GB between 1am and 7am, in other words 30GB a month or a bit less when you remove uploads from that total. Unable to stream anything and it isn't the 'remote' option, it's the option where NBNCo can't be bothered offering wireless internet

2 hours ago, Kensell21 said:

You might be able to answer my question then, are the NBN taking over the cable network (Telstra/Fox) or will their service come via their new network they are laying out?? 

Yes. The public have purchased the Telstra (and Optus) cable networks.

In Telstra cable areas.     The network will continue to operate as a "cable network" (ie.  no major physical changes).    The way data is being transmitted will change so neighbours aren't "competing" with each other any more for bandwidth in congested times like they do now.

In Optus areas.   NBN will build a new fibre optic network in the streets, and use the existing HFC (cable) connections from the street to get into peoples houses....  so the network will no longer be a traditional "cable" network, but a "fibre-to-the-curb" network.

2 hours ago, proftournesol said:

Unable to stream anything

If you mean this literally .... then you need to find a new ISP.    25mbps download speed (which is what you ISP is paying for, and getting from NBN) is enough to stream pretty much anything.

it's the option where NBNCo can't be bothered offering wireless internet

Again, apologies if I've misunderstood what you mean here..... but it isn't NBN who can't "be bothered" offering fixed-wireless services in your area ..... it is the Australian tax-payer who has refused to pay for it.

As you are in a satellite areas, the taxpayer has already spent more than 4x as much money on you, then they have on people in wired, or in fixed-wireless areas.     They reason they have not deployed fixed-wireless in your area is becuase it will cost more than the cost of deploying satellite to you (ie. more than 4x as much as a typical person).

Perhaps you will argue that, yes you think that they should spend the additional (above 4x) money on you .... and you might be able to make a good argument for it (!?) ......   but let's call a spade a spade.

$50 p/m 

Given that ISP have the option of paying either $27, 45, or 67 per month as the wholesale cost for a satellite connection service  (before they pay for any of the data you transmit) .... then that would indicate you're paying for the lowest class service.

The higher grades enforce different maximum contention ratios and data caps.

You should probably have a sniff around for something more suitable.

26 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

As you are in a satellite areas, the taxpayer has already spent more than 4x as much money on you

FWIW, this number is based on the maximum expected users.

Based on the expected number of users by mid this year .... it is currently >20x more expensive to connect a satellite user.

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

If you mean this literally .... then you need to find a new ISP.    25mbps download speed (which is what you ISP is paying for, and getting from NBN) is enough to stream pretty much anything.

Again, apologies if I've misunderstood what you mean here..... but it isn't NBN who can't "be bothered" offering fixed-wireless services in your area ..... it is the Australian tax-payer who has refused to pay for it.

As you are in a satellite areas, the taxpayer has already spent more than 4x as much money on you, then they have on people in wired, or in fixed-wireless areas.     They reason they have not deployed fixed-wireless in your area is becuase it will cost more than the cost of deploying satellite to you (ie. more than 4x as much as a typical person).

Perhaps you will argue that, yes you think that they should spend the additional (above 4x) money on you .... and you might be able to make a good argument for it (!?) ......   but let's call a spade a spade.

No I was careless with words, of course I can stream, I can even stream UHD quality but around 1 movie a month so it's of little value to me, currently I'm using around 30GB a week streaming HD Netflix and Foxtel. The problem with satellite is that there are no plans at any price (and the prices are higher) that give me an option of 200GB a month. I'd rather stick with ADSL but will eventually lose that option when the ISP decides that it's not a viable service for them. Of course I'd rather get wireless, there's even a phone tower within 300m with good site lines down the valley that would offer wireless NBN to the whole valley but of course it's much cheaper not to bother as you say. How is it equitable that people on satellite plans get maybe 1/10th the data allowance of someone that lives 500m away and can't even choose to pay more? perhaps NBN will launch a 3rd satellite but why spend the money when you can say that you are providing a service to satellite users even if it's of reduced utility? The whole idea of the NBN originally was not to disadvantage people because of their location, ir was to remove that disadvantage. There's been a political decision to change that and provide a bare bones service that overall is of no savings to the taxpayers.

Just now, proftournesol said:

but around 1 movie a month

Right.  Got where you're coming from now :)

7 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

I'd rather stick with ADSL but will eventually lose that option when the ISP decides that it's not a viable service for them.

That may be some time though ?!   (speculation)

9 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

200GB a month

Yes, but you can have 150.

10 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

How is it equitable that people on satellite plans get maybe 1/10th the data allowance

I think it's fair that we spent >4x more per person on satellite....   I'm not sure spending more would have been fair.

If you think there are enough people in the valley to support fixed-wireless, then you might put a submission to the 'technology switch program', and see how much it would cost.    If you're talking 100s of houses, then you might find that it's only a 4 figure commitment per household (as opposed to 5).    Worth a look perhaps.

atleast your getting something via the nbn..we're still waiting for a rope to mature.... must be ripe by now :D ?

ps I imagine you dont watch much at 25mbps... what happens when you surpass your limit..does it fall back to dial up hehe

2 minutes ago, :) al said:

atleast your getting something via the nbn..we're still waiting for a rope to mature.... must be ripe by now :D ?

ps I imagine you dont watch much at 25mbps... what happens when you surpass your limit..does it fall back to dial up hehe

Its actually a downgrade for us as I can stream 200GB of HD Netflix through ADSL at the moment and the data restrictions make Netflix too expensive as there's only capacity for a movie or two a month, even at HD quality. Of course DVD/BluRay shops aren't handy either so the alternative is also inconvenient. We'll be sticking with ADSL until they disconnect it, hopefully by then there'll be SpaceX satellites of realistic 4G data limits

Just now, proftournesol said:

Its actually a downgrade for us as I can stream 200GB of HD Netflix through ADSL at the moment and the data restrictions make Netflix too expensive as there's only capacity for a movie or two a month, even at HD quality. Of course DVD/BluRay shops aren't handy either so the alternative is also inconvenient. We'll be sticking with ADSL until they disconnect it, hopefully by then there'll be SpaceX satellites of realistic 4G data limits

gosh I hope they dont disconnect adsl in that case. and why on earth are they ?  if the alternative is step down ? doesnt make sense ?

7 hours ago, powerav said:

Why is anyone on data restrictions? TPG $70 per month unlimited!

Because satellite has limited data throughput. Ironically it'll likely only change if satellite takeup is low, then NBN will build extra wireless towers and increase the data limits for existing satellite users. The alternative is to launch a third satellite but that is expensive so it's unlikely. If there's enough satellite uptake then most of the Australian landmass internet users will have those data limits (or even lower if there's significant population growth) for the next 20 years. One of the original philosophies behind NBN was to provide equal internet services to all Australians, clearly that's no longer a priority

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

Because satellite has limited data throughput. Ironically it'll likely only change if satellite takeup is low, then NBN will build extra wireless towers and increase the data limits for existing satellite users. The alternative is to launch a third satellite but that is expensive so it's unlikely. If there's enough satellite uptake then most of the Australian landmass internet users will have those data limits (or even lower if there's significant population growth) for the next 20 years. One of the original philosophies behind NBN was to provide equal internet services to all Australians, clearly that's no longer a priority

Doesnt seem very equal

37 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

One of the original philosophies behind NBN was to provide equal internet services to all Australians, clearly that's no longer a priority

Hate to be political but that was labors plan.

55 minutes ago, powerav said:

Hate to be political but that was labors plan.

I'm not being political, I don't care who's plan it was/is but it's condemning large parts of Australia to future exclusion as the data limits will become increasingly significant. even if we get back on topic, in this small area as DVDs and BR's disappear because those with unlimited downloads can download UHD content in the future, this content and the alternatives (physical media) will not be available to those marooned on satellite (incidentally deemed 'sufficient' by those who have access to unlimited downloads).

This isn't affecting 'only a few' Australians, rather hundreds of thousands, imagine if the same logic was applied to providing electricity, schools or roads to the same people?

40 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

I'm not being political,

I agree, I was saying "I don't mean to be political".

I was living in a home that was 8 years old and we were on NBN fibre to node. There was a new home built 2 doors down and they got Fibre straight to home.

I sold up and am now building in a new sub division, that's how much NBN means to me.